PDA

View Full Version : 2 x economy + 2 x business class

geoff1248
30th Nov 2013, 16:29
4 of us are travelling UK to OZ next year and are wondering if we would be permitted to buy 2 economy class and 2 business class seats and swop seats during the flight. This way all 4 of us would get some decent sleep.

edi_local
30th Nov 2013, 16:56
It would purely be up to the discretion of the crew on the particular flight.

They may not like the idea of people wandering in and out of the premium cabin in the middle of the flight, even if it's just 2 people and just the once. They can be quite particular.

May be worth your while checking if they have any last minute upgrade special deals when you check in. Quite often you may be offered a special reduced upgrade fare a few weeks or days before travel via email if the business class cabin is particularly quiet on your flight.

Pom Pax
30th Nov 2013, 17:47
I was seated in front of a gentleman and his wife one night. After they had settled to rest first one child then the other came to complain about not be allowed to be with them. After the third visitation he summoned the English Nanny and told her he employed her, had bough her ticket and it was her job to see that the children did not disturb his sleep again. Never heard or saw the kids again.

Jarvy
1st Dec 2013, 08:48
The simple answer is no, it is not permitted. That's not to say that it doesn't happen.

vctenderness
1st Dec 2013, 15:01
It happens a lot and, as said, before depends on the cabin crew. There is often a suspicion that the customer is trying one on I'm afraid, trying to get a free upgrade.

Also switching over during sleep periods would not be welcomed as it may involve climbing over other customers to get to seats etc.

Check if there is an upgrade option available at check in.

cavortingcheetah
1st Dec 2013, 15:29
Superior seats are not musical chairs for skinflints. If you want to park your posterior in the plush then pay the poxy price. As a super superior traveller, I have no problem with a seat swop at boarding time but once we are moving never encroach upon my class when your payment on Charon's barge only entitles you to be back there with the riff raff and skivvies.

SMT Member
1st Dec 2013, 15:32
My days of long-haul paxing is blissfully over, but back then there was not a single flight when I didn't get up and stretch my legs, walking all the way to the back and up front again. Probably the CC recognized me, so never once was I approached and asked WTF I think I was headed when my head popped through the curtain. Neither was I ever told not to do so. The general rule is, as far as my experience goes, is that you can walk as far aft as you like, but no further forward than your own class of travel. In fact a particularly nice EK CSM, whom I had a chat with in the FWD galley on a 777, wished me good luck on the walk 'down the smelly end', then rung up the AFT galley asking them to have a Jack D ready for my arrival. Sure, I was flying first, and service is somewhat elevated in that class of travel, but still a far cry from 'crew not liking wandering in and out of premium cabins'.

As for the swapping of seats, on the other hand, that's a big no-no. 2 of you have bought not only the seat but also the onboard service that comes with it, and can't just share either with the other 2 who haven't. They're stuck behind the curtains, I'm afraid. If you want to have a chat whilst en route, it's those sitting in comfort who walk back to those in steerage, not the other way around.

PAXboy
1st Dec 2013, 20:53
Nowadays, seat swapping is resisted. However, I was reminded of an amusing scene in (I think) 2000.

I was on my most regular route LHR/JNB in Prem Econ. On the return, which was a daylight, I noticed a family where the two parents had booked themselves the last row of Upper and had the two children (aged about 10 and 12, I'd guess) in the front row of P.E. on the same side. Hence lower price for small bodies that did not need Upper. The CC were happy to allow them to pop through the curtain to talk to their parents and the children were very well behaved.

In the early part of the flight, the children played nicely on their seat back consoles. After lunch, I had a snooze and then noticed that the children had effected a Putsch! They were now playing the games in the BIG seats and parents were curled up in P.E. :p

Hartington
2nd Dec 2013, 20:30
It depends very much on the crew (and you're going to have more than one crew between UK and Australia). One might be OK and another not. You've entered into a contract with the airline and I think they'd argue you're breaking it.

Personal experience. Me in Business on business, family in economy. Staff tickets and our seating was down to the checkin staff. Completely full plane because a previous flight had gone technical. I wandered back to check everything was ok and offered to spell wife (she declined, she's like that). On the way back I was accosted by cabin crew and therefore explained the situation. "How come you're in Business? We've got a Captain down the back?". "I don't know, ask check in". She backed down but there's nowt as queer as folk!

Dairyground
5th Dec 2013, 23:55
Swapping seats in flight might upset the cabin crew (and possibly others), but swapping boarding passes for the second leg should be quite feasible. The cabin is cleaned at Singapore, or wherever, and possibly more important, there is a new cabin crew so there is no risk of being remembered from the first first leg. Avoid the fast track boarding; go through the non-privileged checks in a group each with a boarding pass that matches their passport, and then swap as apropriate between there and the aircraft door. The only problem on board might be remembering to respond to your friends name rather than your own.

RevMan2
6th Dec 2013, 04:52
The pax list printout for Business Class will probably contain a gender indicator. Cross-dressing might help.....

Gulfstreamaviator
6th Dec 2013, 09:40
X dressing that is...................

spilt my coffee....

glf

Pom Pax
6th Dec 2013, 12:04
then there was not a single flight when I didn't get up and stretch my legs, walking all the way to the back and up front again
Following SMT Member's example I like to stretch my legs on long haul, generally every 3 hours or so. I take care to not intrude into a higher class. However on this occasion I was traveling on the upper deck. I do my lap round the aft end and appear through the curtain to be met by a little MH girl. "Where have you been?. I explain, "How many times?" "Once" I answer. She blocks the stairs and smiles "Two more times" and points me through the galley. when I emerged again she looks up and says "One more" and makes room for me to pass through the galley.
Unlike SMT Member's I was not rewarded with a "Jack D" after only 1/2 a lap but was offered an orange juice at the end of my forced march before being allowed back upstairs.

PAXboy
6th Dec 2013, 14:40
That's a lovely story Pom Pax. That CC needs a reward for entering into the spirit of the journey.

I always take a walk on lonh haul - even if I'm in Y I walk to the front of the cabin and back. When further up, I walk to the back around 'the bend' and back up the other aisle several times in the flight. Often you meet other pax for a chat, or CC who ask if you want anything to drink and mebbe have a chat with them too. Some of the best moments in long haul are those walks and chats.