PDA

View Full Version : EasyJet connection at Gatwick

ExXB
30th Nov 2013, 13:37
I understand completely that easyjet doesn't do connections, and that if something goes pear-shaped it will be my fault, even if it is their fault.

We're flying to the Isle of Man at Easter. GVA-LGW, LGW-IOM. For customs and immigration I believe that IOM is the same as the UK/Ireland. I.e. From GVA we will have to clear formalities at LGW, go to departure level, clear security, clear the duty free shop and head to the gate for the IOM flight. One option I'm looking at has an arrival of 0720 and a departure of 0855. 1hr 35 minutes. That looks tight, and if we check a bag - impossible. The next best connection is a 6hr 10 minute connection. (Sigh) arriving 1010 departing 1620.

On the way back, if we haven't checked a bag, I'm thinking we do not need to do customs/immigration by staying airside. Could anyone confirm? This would be a 4h10 connection, which would be doable even if we had to go out and back in.

Hope this is all clear, and much appreciate any advice connecting at LGW.

:) :ok:

Edited to add GVA flights are at the North Terminal. Are the IOM flights the same, and if they are at the S. Terminal, is it possible to do an airside connection between the two?

wowzz
30th Nov 2013, 13:55
Not exactly a direct answer to your question, but if you do have a long wait between flights, you can book a room at the Yotel in the South Terminal for a minimu of 4 hours.

jijpc
30th Nov 2013, 18:07
EZY IOM flights also use North Terminal which might make your life a little easier.

The African Dude
1st Dec 2013, 08:05
I would have said 1h35 was possible, until the change of terminal was slipped in :)

Dct_Mopas
1st Dec 2013, 08:09
What about looking at GVA-LPL-IOM as a possibility?

Love_joy
1st Dec 2013, 09:05
Not sure of Easter dates, but if your travel is before the end of March, Flybe might be a good option for you. Four flights a day, and 2 are mid morning.

After March, sorry, but we're pulling out...

ExXB
1st Dec 2013, 09:22
What about looking at GVA-LPL-IOM as a possibility?

Yes, had a look at that. 15 minute connection outbound. 4hr 10 minute connection on the return - the same as via LGW, but Gatwick has later flights just in case.

Not sure of Easter dates, but if your travel is before the end of March, Flybe might be a good option for you. Four flights a day, and 2 are mid morning.

After March, sorry, but we're pulling out…

I think the last flight is on the Easter Saturday but nothing else that week.

ExXB
1st Dec 2013, 09:26
Gatwick experts …

Will I have to clear customs/immigration at LGW (I assume yes)?
Can we stay airside on return, or will we have to go through security?

Both flights are at N. Terminal - Thanks for that!

Mercury Buttercups ! :ok:

manx crab
1st Dec 2013, 11:59
I have done this connection several times albeit onto the Flybe flight to the IOM. Just a couple of thoughts.

The Ezy GVA flights usually use the gates numbered 100+ which are over the big glass bridge and a long walk from customs etc.

There is no guarantee that you will arrive at North Terminal, Ezy do for their operational convenience just dump you at the wrong terminal, it happened to me from FCO the other week, so you might have to factor a terminal change in.

Do Ezy not allow a change onto an earlier flight free of charge? subject to various conditions.( I am not sure if it only covers the return portion of any journey) If that is the case then could you not book the later flight and if you cleared customs etc in time see if you could be transferred onto the earlier flight. If not then get a room in Yotel for a few hours

I have always had to clear customs/immigration and go landside when transferring to IOM flights although security at LGW is by far the quickest of the UK airports I use.

Dropline
1st Dec 2013, 19:24
Have a look at the Gatwick Connect service. Details on the Gatwick Airport website. I've never used it, but it might be worth giving it a try?

ExXB
1st Dec 2013, 19:29
Have a look at the Gatwick Connect service. Details on the Gatwick Airport website. I've never used it, but it might be worth giving it a try?

Currently you can only use our service is you're travelling on with Norwegian or Virgin, but we've got more airlines coming soon.

Thanks, but no cigar!

ConstantFlyer
2nd Dec 2013, 18:40
As well as timings through Gatwick, it might also be worth looking at possible connections via Birmingham, Dublin, Liverpool (as Dct_Mopas suggests), London City, Manchester and Newcastle in either direction.

ExXB
3rd Dec 2013, 09:29
Thx Constant flyer,

I've looked at them all and LGW was the best for our purposes.

SWMBO has decided that we will go via BRS/GLO as her family is travelling GLO/IOM, even though this requires an overnight. We are returning via LGW but also with an overnight there, so she does't lose a day (?? No, I don't understand either)

Anyone know a good, inexpensive hotel within walking distance of the N. Terminal? Sofitel is £$%(&*&*^&*()^^%(!!!!!!!

wowzz
3rd Dec 2013, 11:15
There is a new Premier Inn within 100yards of the North Terminal. I've just paid £39 for a double room for one night -bargain!

ExXB
3rd Dec 2013, 11:41
Cheers Wowzz, much appreciated