PDA

View Full Version : Smartphone advice...

NWSRG
29th Nov 2013, 22:03
Hi all,

Looking advice on the current crop of smartphones. I've previously had an Iphone 3GS, which was prematurely killed by toddler saliva. After that, I went back to a trusty Nokia, which can make phone calls, and even send texts, but little else.

Now I fancy a smartphone again, but we're not talking £500 here. I'm looking for something up to around £150, so IPhones and Galaxys are out. I want something thats good for pics, the normal apps (Facebook, Twitter etc.), and has a good interface. Experia J and Desire C were a couple that came to mind, but I'm looking for some real users to advise.

Any suggestions?

rans6andrew
1st Dec 2013, 19:19
the CP warehouse has Galaxy Ace, sim free, for £120 ish....... I had one as my first smartphone and was quite happy with it when it was working.

I must have had a rogue faulty one, if they all failed in the way mine did you would have heard about it. I would risk another one. After returning it for warranty repair 3 times it was replaced with a HTC phone that my other half uses. I have a better Galaxy now.

Rans6..........

Loose rivets
1st Dec 2013, 20:51
Doesn't seem to matter about the make. I changed my Motorola 4 times - the last time the offering came pre-disasterzied. It looked like the screen had already been used as a comforter with a milky band around the edge. I declined 4, for 4a.

crewmeal
2nd Dec 2013, 05:25
Let me google that for you (http://lmgtfy.com/?q=smartphones+for+%C2%A3150)

MidlandDeltic
2nd Dec 2013, 10:44
crewmeal - unnecssary? I think the OP was asking for advice on how these phones were to use, rather than just a list. He appears to have done some research - the clue is in the phrase

Experia J and Desire C were a couple that came to mind, but I'm looking for some real users to advise.

But some people just like to be snarky instead, don't they..............

crewmeal
2nd Dec 2013, 11:40
But some people just like to be snarky instead, don't they..............

The idea was to list handsets so the OP could then do his/her own research on individual phones given that there were many to choose from. Not as you put it to be snarky.

Phalconphixer
2nd Dec 2013, 13:03
Has anyone any suggestions on a low priced smartphone with good daylight readability? I rarely use my current smartphones 'smart' capabilities like camera, internet access or GPS because its daylight readability is virtually zero. It's a Nokia C6-0 and at best it's a complete waste of space, usable only indoors.
I'm looking for a phone with a readable screen that makes some degree of framing possible when taking photographs or using as a portable GPS without having to put the phone at the bottom of a box that acts as a screen hood...
Thanks...

Ancient Observer
2nd Dec 2013, 13:09
Daughter lost her galaxy S 2 at a disco one night.
Bought her a replacement galaxy S 2 from e-bay. Cost £110. Followed all the ebay buyers rules, and got a great phone.

Her phones are handed down to me, and I'm still using it. I rate it highly.

Try e-bay, but read the how-tos and scam avoidance stuff first.