PDA

View Full Version : Windows Hoax Call

surely not
29th Nov 2013, 17:46
Flew back to UK this morning on a short trip and the first land line phone call since being home was very bizarre!

It went along the lines of an accented Indian voice asking to speak to Mr SN. Crikey thought I how did they know I was home already, then realising that Son of SN also still lives at home I queried whether it was SN senior or SN Junior they wanted to speak to? and they confirmed they wanted to speak to SN Senior.

When I asked who they were they advised they were from Windows Security division. I was about to tell them we already have double glazing when he mentioned computers............. ohhh thought I, that sort of Windows!!
They then told me that the computer I registered with Windows had over the last 2 weeks been attracting viruses whenever I went on line. Interesting thought I as I don't remember ever registering a computer with Windows at my UK address ............................and asked where this computer was when it went on line, was it a laptop or desktop?

He just countered it was the one I had registered and again repeated my UK address. Sir this is very serious because you are attracting viruses when u go on line.

When I go on line from which ISP address is it? I asked. From the address it is registered at he advised. When did I register the computer with Windows I asked? He then told me it was 'When you f**ked your mother you Motherfu***r, why don't you just f**k off'. At which point I said thank you and cancelled the call

1471 didn't have a number to call him back on, not really a surprise I suppose!

Is this a new hoax or an ongoing hoax? Anyone else had a similar call? Who if anyone should I report it to?

jimtherev
29th Nov 2013, 17:53
Every couple of weeks here with varying responses, until I asked how he got the number? "Bluster,bluster,..." and then went on to ask if he had intended to speak to the police fraud office on their unlisted line.
No calls from them for quite a few weeks now - but I'm not holding me breff.

Sallyann1234
29th Nov 2013, 17:53
No, it's a very old hoax. But re-telling does no harm it it advises someone who hasn't heard it.

SOPS
29th Nov 2013, 17:54
Been going on for ages. We get it them here in Oz all the time. My son, who is a computer nerd, and has 3 systems in his room, ties them in knots and usually gets a similar response to what you received.

Johnny [email protected] Pants
29th Nov 2013, 17:55
Had the same thing on many occasions, I don't even have a Windows computer, Mac's all round. I love to waste as much of their time as I can though, so go along with them when they ask me to start up the computer and go online. I tell them that I have switched on the"none existent" computer and to wait a minute, I then go and make a brew. After 3 or 4 mins I tell the guy it's quite an old computer and takes a while to boot up and that this might be the reason for the viruses. This seems to keep him interested. More often than not after between 5 or 6 mins they hang up, but so far my record is 14 mins to keep one hanging on before I enjoyed telling him I'd made a cup of tea and finished it while nothing had been happening for him:ok:

4mastacker
29th Nov 2013, 17:58
This type of call has been going on for a long time. When I get that type of call, I tell them that I also work for Microsoft and ask them what division they're in. That, invariably is the end of the call.

Nowt much you can do as you don't have the callers number but you could try buying one of these. (http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/1062140.htm)

G-CPTN
29th Nov 2013, 17:58
Hoax Microsoft Windows security calls offer hindrance not help | Money | The Guardian (http://www.theguardian.com/money/2012/mar/23/hoax-microsoft-windows-security-calls)

What happens if you play along with a Microsoft 'tech support' scam? (Wired UK) (http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2013-04/11/malwarebytes)

rgbrock1
29th Nov 2013, 18:09
There IS a permanent solution to these types of calls. You know those whistles that referees use at American football, hockey, soccer or basketball games? They are extremely loud and have the ability of causing permanent hearing damaged if used in close proximity to someone else. (Permanent hearing damage is a permanent solution to these callers, innit?) :ok:

500N
29th Nov 2013, 18:13
He must have spoken to me at some point in the past as
have said similar to these type of people who call.

Have even got my GF to stop being so polite to them :rolleyes:

RGB
I like the Whistle idea :ok:

Miserlou
29th Nov 2013, 19:14
My ex-wife managed to get the number of one of these guys and I called him back.
Went through the usual stuff and then I said that if he was who he claimed to be then he wouldn't be calling me because I don't have a Microsoft pc. And when I informed him that I had already reported his number to the police he became very abusive.
At which point I thanked him for his time and haven't been bothered by this scam ever since.

Hydromet
29th Nov 2013, 22:32
RGB, that solution seems to be the most effective, particularly if you can keep them on the line for a while, speaking in gradually softer tones.

Pappa Smurf
29th Nov 2013, 22:58
Just tell them you don't own a computer and they soon hang up.

Lantern10
29th Nov 2013, 23:03
There IS a permanent solution to these types of calls. You know those whistles that referees use at American football, hockey, soccer or basketball games? They are extremely loud and have the ability of causing permanent hearing damaged if used in close proximity to someone else. (Permanent hearing damage is a permanent solution to these callers, innit?) http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/thumbs.gif

We think alike. By far the best solution.

onetrack
30th Nov 2013, 00:41
We get up to about 3 calls a day sometimes from these scammers. I don't know why they keep it up, we give them curry - and I'm not talking Indian food either.
Usually, SWMBO gets them first, and she'll lead them up the garden path like you've never seen.
She adopts all kinds of different attitudes, from outraged, to feeble-minded, to talking about Karma and how she is putting a curse on them (don't forget Indians are highly superstitious).
On second thoughts, maybe they keep calling back because they think a 100 different people live here! :)
I just tell them I have tracking equipment, and I know exactly where they're located. Then I ask - did they realise I'm a highly trained and experienced silent killer?
I describe how I'm going to hunt them down and grab them, and kill them slowly and painfully, leaving no trace and no witnesses, they seem to hang up quickly after that. :suspect:

500N
30th Nov 2013, 01:12
OneTrack

Have used similar myself, they tend not to call back.

My GF was horrified when I answered her phone one day and got a cold caller,
within a minute I said the "experienced silent killer for a living" type thing
and hung up. She said they didn't call back. So it does work.

G-CPTN
30th Nov 2013, 02:11
There's a wonderful audio of a radio presenter answering a scam call and pretending to be a detective investigating a homicide:-
-7OgWcwgB50

onetrack
30th Nov 2013, 02:49
500N - You gotta be a little careful there, that the telemarketer definitely is a scammer, and that they're calling from an overseas location.

If a genuine local telemarketer calls you, and you sound a little too threatening, and you scare them into reporting you to police, you could end up being charged under section 474.15 with "using a carriage service to make a threat". :(
That could seriously blow up in your face, just like a reversed claymore. :(

Far better to ensure the caller is definitely indulging in a criminal enterprise before you issue a threat.

Believe it or not, there are actually genuine people out there doing legal telemarketing for a living. Well, maybe not a living, just indulging in a form of sado-masochism. :)

A niece who was desperate for a job actually took a telemarketing job for a week, she said it was the worst experience of her life. :( :{

Worrals in the wilds
30th Nov 2013, 07:50
Far better to ensure the caller is definitely indulging in a criminal enterprise before you issue a threat. True. As previously posted, I once received what sounded like an absolute scam (dodgy sounding foreigner etc etc) which turned out to be a legitimate call from my (now former) bank's offshore callcentre about a credit card alert :\.

I usually just hang up on them; boring but effective.
A niece who was desperate for a job actually took a telemarketing job for a week, she said it was the worst experience of her life. :( http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/boohoo.gifI worked in a building that had a call centre in it and the poor staff had an awful time, both from the company and the customers.Management used to time staff toilet breaks and pitch into them if they took ten seconds too long :uhoh:. IMO it would be better than being on the dole, but not by much.

500N
30th Nov 2013, 08:20
Onetrack

I don't make threats against the person on the phone.
Past tense.

ExXB
30th Nov 2013, 11:06
I simply hang up. They are not to blame it is those bar-stewards that 'employ' them.

Funny to get a call in Switzerland from someone who speaks no French, German, Schwiizertüütsch, Italian or Romansch. Not that I can speak them all, but they don't know that. :p

Airclues
30th Nov 2013, 11:11
Technical Support Phone Scam - YouTube

rotornut
30th Nov 2013, 13:48
I've had a number of these calls. During the last one I told the caller that he was a criminal, among other things, and that the police were looking for him.
"No, I am not a criminal sir" was the answer before he hung up.

Blues&twos
30th Nov 2013, 14:00
Some of these guys hang on the phone way after they know I'm not doing what they want me to do. I don't understand why. I've actually told one bloke that I'm deliberately wasting his time, and he still kept going. Strange.

vulcanised
30th Nov 2013, 15:24
What puzzles me is why you talk to these people.

I never do these days and they have given up calling me.

At ease
30th Nov 2013, 15:25
For any Aussies, I can report 3 full days of peace and quiet.

These, mainly Indian origin, scam calls had been driving me nuts recently.
Doing some research led me to call Telstra on 13 22 00>> "Unwelcome Calls">> International Call Blocking.

Be persistent when you call as the Telstra call centre operator I spoke to tried to talk me out of it(I believe, though can't confirm, it may be because they sell the numbers to telemarketers).

seacue
30th Nov 2013, 17:29
I understand that many of the domestic USA advert phone calls are made by people in prison, employed to earn a little money.

There is also the story about a call center that was located in a depressed western Maryland town. It's assignment was to urge people with overdue accounts to pay up. The people in the depressed town were so sympathetic and soft-hearted that they weren't effective. Their call center was given another type of job.

I phoned the number of the local gas company. The voice I reached certainly sounded like I had reached India. The fellow insisted that he was in the outer Virginia suburbs. Maybe they hired Indian-sounding people to sound authentic.