PDA

View Full Version : Phone lines & Broadband

chevvron
29th Nov 2013, 14:56
I've just been told that BT have taken over Plusnet, and I already knew that Plusnet have merged with 24 Talk.
Is it BT's cunning plot, I wonder, to take over all the smaller suppliers who undercut them so they can then raise the prices?
Our line rental and broadband package with Plusnet is 19.99p including VAT and we have no fibre optics in the system, either to the external box or in the main telephone lines, as being 'out in the country', fibre optic cabling was never installed.

ExRAFRadar
29th Nov 2013, 15:25
I thought this happened years ago

Plusnet - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plusnet#Acquisition_by_BT)

Davidsoffice
29th Nov 2013, 16:41
There are still a few around.... I use Utility Warehouse for BB, phone, mobile and energy all on one bill and get further discount off my energy due to having multiple services. London based call centre as well!

mixture
29th Nov 2013, 21:37
Is it BT's cunning plot, I wonder, to take over all the smaller suppliers who undercut them so they can then raise the prices?

What RAF said about it having happened years ago, plus....

Short answer, yes.

I suspect eventually you will find the Plusnet brand scrapped their customers being stuck into the BT Retail brand.

The reason BT bought Plusnet is because they wrote a piece of software that BT were heavily reliant on for their BT Teleworker product which was/is very popular amongst BT's blue-chip clients. BT didn't want to be risk held at gunpoint over this software by a competitor should someone else have acquired Plusnet, nor did they want to risk someone else getting their foot in the door and tempting the blue-chips away from BT Teleworker.

At the moment BT are keeping Plusnet a separate brand because not many people know about the BT acquisition, so its a useful marketing device and enables them to keep their fingers in more broadband pies (if you listen carefully to the Plusnet TV adverts, you will hear they take great pride in slagging off their competitors networks - i.e. talking about TalkTalk, Virgin etc. - but you'll never hear them mention the word BT !).

So yes, BT protecting their own interests and I suspect in the long term are not particularly interested in the non-software parts of Plusnet once they are done exploiting it for marketing as they are doing at the moment.

mixture
29th Nov 2013, 21:40
There are still a few around.... I use Utility Warehouse for BB

Aah, but there you are wrong my friend.

99.99999999% of broadband providers you can name me are not independent by any stretch of the imagination. They are merely reselling a BT Wholesale product... the exact same broadband product that BT Retail would flog you if you bought it direct from BT (remember, for many people, but particularly for residential customers BT have their fingers in all the pies, if they don't get you via Retail, they'll get you via BT Wholesale or BT Openreach).

There are very few independent broadband providers (LLU being the industry term) indeed. And even they have to rely on BT Openreach to install the copper. But unlike the BT Wholesale offerings, the LLU providers only depend on BT for the passive part of the connection .... all active equipment is managed by the LLU provider (they have kit in the BT exchanges).