PDA

View Full Version : Lawnmowers and Electrocution

charliegolf
29th Nov 2013, 09:54
Can someone point me to that hilarious thread about the Ppruner who zapped himself by cutting the cord/electric cable in the garden.

This time I promise to save it. Cheers.

CG

Lon More
29th Nov 2013, 09:58
Don't know if it was in here, but it might have been this (http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=147744)

charliegolf
29th Nov 2013, 10:37
Lon

Yes it is. I have just stopped weeping with laughter. Again.

CG

radeng
29th Nov 2013, 12:11
Not quite so funny for retired Air Chief Marshall Sir Raymond Hart, who was electrocuted some 50 odd years ago when he inadvertently cut the cable of the electric lawn mower.

Perhaps the modern RCCD breaker is not always a major PITA.

Loose rivets
29th Nov 2013, 15:14
Had two friends that have lost their toes. One a physicist who was putting up an antenna while on a metal roof. Woke up in hospital sans toes.

The other was an ex Navy man. Tough and canny. He flymowed his toes off while mowing on a slope. With great fortitude and pluck, he went to gather them up, but the dogs got them, and would not bring them back how ever hard he hollered at them.

Cpt_Pugwash
29th Nov 2013, 16:50
LR, I also knew a guy who Flymo'd a big toe off while mowing on a slope. On the upside, he did marry one of the nurses caring for him at the hospital. I lost track of them when they moved down under when he transferred to the Australian DoD.

StressFree
29th Nov 2013, 17:17
Gents,

On this topic I have a similar tale.

I was trout fishing whilst staying at The Arundel Arms hotel with my Dad.

We fished for a while and then he went to relieve himself by a riverside hedge, suddenly there was a huge shout and commotion, what my Dad hadn't seen in the hedge was an electric fence, the electric jolt came up his 'stream' and hit him in his old chap, right on the bellend.....

Not pleasant.

But I laughed.

:O

james ozzie
30th Nov 2013, 03:40
My pal Mike who had an ageing father living with him related how his dad was helpfully mowing the lawn one afternoon but slipped in wet grass on a slope and his foot went into the blades. Bad injury though toes saved.

After he was patched up in the emergency Room, the young doctor was giving a close out briefing to the old man and Mike. Says Mike to the doctor:

"Thanks very much. We are having some people round for dinner tonight; is there any chance he could finish the mowing today?"

Young doctor (very angrily) "CERTAINLY NOT"

onetrack
30th Nov 2013, 07:50
We have 20,000V overhead power lines for the local rail network. They go under quite a number of bridges.

One small-time crim/graffiti artist, decided it would be fun to piss over the edge of one bridge, one night. He didn't have enough working brain cells to figure out that there were 20,000V HT wires directly under the bridge.

He produced a really good stream of piss, and he got zapped like a moth in a bug zapper - nearly as good as that stupid Indian walking on top of the train.

So .. what happens?? The Govt spends hundreds of thousands of dollars positioning spray protection guards on the side of every bridge. :ugh:

I would have placed signs, "Piss Here" - a much more cost-effective solution. :suspect: :E

VP959
30th Nov 2013, 08:06
Aviation contet.

A late instructor I knew had a mate at the same field who lost his toes from being hit with a prop. As a bizarrre incident it has to be one of the oddest. This was a grass strip, where sheep normally grazed the strip itself, so there was a very wide gate between the hangar area and the strip that you had to taxy through.

Said chap started up, taxied to the gate, left the engine running while he hopped out to open the gate, got back to the aircraft and slipped backwards. One foot went up in the air and the prop very neatly sliced off the end of his shoe and his toes (I've seen the shoe, it looks like it had been sliced with a very sharp knife).

He was rushed off to hospital, while my late friend Tony (the instructor) went around collecting the scattered toes. He put them in a plastic carrier bag and drove off to see his mate in hospital.

When Tony arrived at his mates bedside, the first words his mate said were (allegedly) "I've lost all my toes, Tony". "No you haven't", says Tony, holding up the carrier bag, "I've got them right here lad".

As far as I know they were either too far gone, or the technology didn't exist then to reattach them. The shoe with the cleanly severed toe end was a feature in the flying club house for a fair while afterwards, though.

mad_jock
30th Nov 2013, 15:52
There is another one out there of a guy that trys a tazzer on himself which he had just bought his wife for protection.

That's well worth finding as well

MadsDad
30th Nov 2013, 16:05
Regarding the 'having a slash' tales there are several stories about people being electrocuted whilst peeing onto the live rails on 3- or 4- rail systems.

One I recall was someone being found dead on the platform of an East London tube station when the staff arrived to open the station up in the morning. It was thought he had arrived, drunk, too late for the last train the previous night and had decided to micturate whilst choosing his next course of action. Too late.

Would make a possible assassination scenario for a spy novel, perhaps.

mad_jock
30th Nov 2013, 16:14
Girl Gets Shocked By Fence To Fall Into Something Special - Electric Fence Challenge - YouTube

Some might appreciate this.

And here is the tasser story
snopes.com: Man Uses Taser on Himself (http://www.snopes.com/humor/follies/taser.asp)

gileraguy
30th Nov 2013, 23:49
that was only funny because she was a Kiwi...

reynoldsno1
3rd Dec 2013, 02:45
Sensible girl - wearing gumboots :ok:

haughtney1
3rd Dec 2013, 12:50
And then she went out and got sh1tfaced....:E

cockney steve
3rd Dec 2013, 18:47
A feature of English roads, is "Keep Left" bollards Erected in pairs, the bases form an ellipse with a gap bisecting it crossways. Each segment carries a square box-structure about a metre high and about 30 CM square. the traditional ones were metal with an orange panel,surmounted by a blue disc with arrow, facing oncoming traffic.

At night, they were illuminated by mains electricity. a drunk or careless driver could mount the base and demolish the bollard, leaving the live electricity cables exposed.

If you ever wondered why dogs always got run over causing drivers to crash into and wreck the bollards......now you know...the bollards were damaged first, the dog "marked" it's final spot.

Now, bollards are all-plastic,breakaway design and the illumination is sunk under a glass panel, flush in the base.

Windy Militant
3rd Dec 2013, 19:06
leaving the live electricity cables exposed.

In a lot of the older ones the feed was tapped directly into a phase so the first fuse you came to after the one that was usually knocked off with the rest of the steel casing was the 100 amp at the substation. Years ago one of my least favourite jobs as a street light repairer was putting a traffic cone over the sticky out bits until the jointer came along to cap them. The cone usually sat there for about a month until they got a distribution box with an isolator put in before they could put in one of the frangible plastic ones. At that time they only replaced the ones that had been totally smashed. On most of them the only concession to safety was having plastic bolts holding the bit with the arrows to the base. Another of my jobs was looking for the bit with the arrows after bank holidays as the drunks had figured out that by pushing the things back and forward you could shear the plastic bolts.
Very often saw a pair of strip lights on a plank of wood with the case gone!