PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!

GeordieFlyer
27th Feb 2001, 00:28
Travelling from LHR to LAX by Virgin march 16th 11.45 flt.....to commence my flt training for 5 weeks in California. I know there has been several topics about jump seats but is there any Virgin drivers have some sound advice about getting into the flt deck, do you think it would be better for me to try on the way back when I have a nice new PPL in my possession? Thanks for your help.

scroggs
27th Feb 2001, 02:12
Geordie,
I have to say that if you know there have been many threads on this topic, then presumably you read them and understood the advice therein? That advice will not change because it's now two weeks later than last time!
Ok, here we go. Listen up: politely ask to talk to the IFS when you arrive on the aeroplane. The IFS is the senior cabin crew member, and should be your point of contact with the flight deck. Explain your situation and ask if there would be any chance of visiting the flight deck.
It's likely that the IFS will be pretty busy, and may not get a chance to ask until shortly before departure. As you'll be flying on an A340 or a B744, probably with a third pilot aboard, one jump seat will already be occupied. If there is no training pilot on, and no staff need the other jump seat, you may be invited up.
Don't be surprised if your invite doesn't come till after top of climb, especially if the weather's not too hot, or the flight is particularly full. There will be others who've asked to visit as well, so don't expect to stay too long.
Once you do get on the flight deck (and I would be very surprised if you didn't at some point), explain your situation once again, this time to the captain. If you are very lucky, he or she may invite you to stay/return for the landing. Don't be afraid to chat and ask questions - pilots in general love to show off their shining steeds! But don't try and demonstrate your encyclopaedic knowledge of aviation widgets, as you'll be politely shown the door very rapidly!
If you don't get an invite on the way out, for whatever reason, try again on the way back.
Best of luck with your PPL!