PDA

View Full Version : Gliding the way to go BEFORE real flying?

Gunship
11th May 2002, 08:16
Hi all,

A British Airforce Flying Instructor told me the other night that the way you guys are going is to do gliding before flying (no harm meant - before REAL flying).

He reckons it is very good for gaining experience in airmanship, co-ordination etc...

Seeing that my son WILL NOT be even looked at if he applies in the New South African Airforce, I thought of going the glider way (save costs) and then if all goes well send him for training on aircraft and heli's later.

Your comments will be highly appreciated.

Best regards,

Dan Winterland
11th May 2002, 10:32
In general airmanship and handling skills, I would consider (as both a glider and aeroplane instructor) that a glider pilot has far more than a PPL holder with the same hours. However, if your aim for your son is purely to learn to fly just to hold a PPL or to go on to commercial ratings, I would not consider gliding particularly useful as under most licensing systems gliding hours to not count for the issue of professional licences.

If he was interested in gliding to promote his cause to a provider of a sponsored training place, then I think it can help. In the RAF, gliding goes a long way to showing than you are dedicated to learning to fly - in fact it was considered more relevant than power flying due to the commitment and hard work involved. Some years ago when non commisiioned groundstaff looked to obtain a comission, a 'points system' was used. Gliding accounted for half the points required - particularly if their aim was aircrew.

If your son is keen on becoming a military pilot, has he considered the RAF? The RAF accepts commonwealth members and has a number of Australians, New Zealanders, Zimbabweans, Canadians and South Africans serving.

Gunship
11th May 2002, 22:41
Thanks for the post Dan !

That makes sence !

Any idea where I can begin with him as he is in his final year of school and will soon be 19 years old.

I really appreciate any help.

Kind regards