PDA

View Full Version : Cyclists Jumping Red Lights

ExRAFRadar
28th Nov 2013, 12:43
I know there is a thread about Cyclist deaths in London but I thought this deserved it's own. More to do with the 'other side'

Cyclists caught jumping red lights in London taxi drivers' hidden camera footage - London - News - London Evening Standard (http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/cyclists-caught-jumping-red-lights-in-london-taxi-drivers-hidden-camera-footage-8969043.html)

maliyahsdad2
28th Nov 2013, 12:56
Taxi Drivers moaning about other road users :rolleyes:

ExXB
28th Nov 2013, 13:01
Well "Evidence shows that red light jumping causes a tiny proportion of collisions" so it must be OK then … :ouch: Try that one in the courts.

Now, if somebody could invent a camera that councils could use to fine cyclist law breakers, we'd be a lot further ahead. "It's not for revenue generation, It's for safety"

alicopter
28th Nov 2013, 13:05
Hi, in France, for a few months now and after long "pilots" cyclists do NOT have to obbey traffic lights in most major towns (by Law!) and it has been proven to IMPROVE security... (Law published in Journal Officiel 12.01.2012)

blind pew
28th Nov 2013, 13:15
Shoot them on sight......on a pedestrian crossing near Liverpool street pushing my newly born grandson across the road when an idiot on the wrong side of the road and jumping the lights nearly knocked us over...a few years ago one knocked into my wife same sh*t

500N
28th Nov 2013, 14:12
We had a bunch of them over here run a red on one of the weekend runs
they do and knocked over and killed a pensioner.

Did that ignite the fires !!!

Capot
28th Nov 2013, 14:48
Lovely item today; it was revealed that the Police in London were told to achieve a target of 10 prosecutions each week (month?) under the Act about stopping on safe areas for cycles, cycle paths and so on; I don't recall its exact name.

Cue huge outrage from the embittered Lycra loonies sensing another attempt to bring them under control by the cruel world that treats them so badly.

"Unfair, discrimination against cyclists!" they cried.

Then it turned out that if they had read just a few lines more, even with their intelligence level they would have realised that the offences that were being targeted were those that can only be committed by someone driving a motor-powered vehicle in those areas. In other words, the idea was to prosecute people who endanger cyclists.

Much relieved, the cyclists are now continuing to break the law and endanger themselves and the pedestrians they ride into with complete impunity.

Airey Belvoir
28th Nov 2013, 15:33
Typical skewed reporting by the Evening Standard/Daily Mail.

Anyone caught jumping a red light risks a £50 penalty ticket from the police.

Any fule no that that ain't gonna happen therefore it's no risk.

whitebait1
28th Nov 2013, 15:50
The full hour long video is up on youtube and shows over 100 motor vehicles jumping the red lights in that time as well. Not condoning what the cyclists are doing, just trying to give a more balanced view of the whole thing.

Cyclists are getting their £50 fines for RLJing and riding without lights and coppers are out in force at many junctions around London (which I have no issue with). And they ARE being targeted (10 a month) by the met.

Lon More
28th Nov 2013, 16:01
Cycling lobby in UK proposing banning HGVs from built up areas during the rush hour. :ugh: and fitting extra mirrors and guards to vehicles to protect cyclists. No suggestion of educating idiots to stay clear of them. If in the UK a truck is signalling to turn left it's safer to wait behind it than try to creep up the inside; maybe you do have the right of way but that won't help you when you're dead.

goldfrog
28th Nov 2013, 16:15
Response to LTDA: Analysis of signal compliance, by mode | As Easy As Riding A Bike (http://aseasyasridingabike.wordpress.com/2013/11/28/response-to-ltda-analysis-of-signal-compliance-by-mode/)

mixture
28th Nov 2013, 16:35
The full hour long video is up on youtube and shows over 100 motor vehicles jumping the red lights in that time as well. Not condoning what the cyclists are doing, just trying to give a more balanced view of the whole thing.

Having done a fair bit of driving around London in my time, I suspect you're rather clutching at straws and exaggerating a bit there !

It is fairly common in London to see cars proceed through Amber lights. This is permissible by law if circumstances dictate (i.e. it changes to amber as you are going through, or, as is common in London, the car behind is following too close to you meaning that you can't stop safely, hence safer to proceed through amber).

I've yet to see a car proceed through a Red light. Infact, the first time in the world I saw that was two weeks ago when driving in Los Angeles ! (and no, they were not turning right, just ploughed straight through a red).

However, seeing cyclists proceed through red lights in London and elsewhere is a regular sight and I fully support calls for them to be prosecuted and fined !

G-CPTN
28th Nov 2013, 16:47
Does a cyclist riding on the footway have to comply with trafficlights?

mixture
28th Nov 2013, 16:52
Does a cyclist riding on the footway have to comply with trafficlights?

The moron should not be on the pavement in the first place. :cool:

P6 Driver
28th Nov 2013, 17:11
Thanks to Mixture for pointing out that an Amber light is also a stop signal - it's not just a Red light.
:D

From the Highway Code;

"AMBER means ‘Stop’ at the stop line. You may go on only if the AMBER appears after you have crossed the stop line or are so close to it that to pull up might cause an accident"

GeorgEGNT
28th Nov 2013, 18:10
I'm afraid it's an issue that unless rather tough penalties are doled out will never improve.

Most of the "rule breaking" cyclists are somehow brainwashed into thinking they're never to blame or incidents on the road. We'll never be able to educate them.

If they're hit it's the drivers fault, not because they jumped a red light and rode straight into the path of a HGV at a cross junction.

Only something ridiculous would solve this issue. Something absurd like licence plates on bicycles that ANPR can read.

Patrin
28th Nov 2013, 18:37
As a cyclist myself I find it infuriating when you see another cyclist pass through a red light. They give a bad name to the majority of law abiding cyclists and do nothing but endanger themselves and anyone else who happen to get in their way.
Cyclists without lights or helmets also makes my blood boil.

...Although it can act as a rather crude form of natural selection.

reynoldsno1
28th Nov 2013, 19:56
AMBER means ‘Stop’ at the stop line
In NZ it's A for Amber which means accelerate ....:sad:

radeng
28th Nov 2013, 20:26
A friend who lives in Phoenix swears blind, by observation, that stopping at red lights there is optional.....

alicopter
28th Nov 2013, 20:50
Well, I do cycle a lot and I mean a lot (thousands of kms raids across countries, and more or less a couple of hours daily, 1,5 cassette gears / crank / chain at least per year, average... !) unless horrendous weather and this for most of the last 40 years, I have NEVER taken any notice of traffic lights... and never had or caused an accident. I just know my capacities and respect ALL the other road users without any exception... The only times I feel in danger is on UK roads like the A12 for example when a lorry overtakes me and there is oncoming traffic in front. The roads are just not wide enough for 2 motorvehicles and 1 cyclist... Education is the key word... not regulation.

ExSp33db1rd
28th Nov 2013, 21:37
In NZ it's A for Amber which means accelerate ....

I have every sympathy ....... not that I do it of course (:rolleyes:)

The reason being that NZ has absolutely no conception of how to use traffic lights to sensibly control junctions, so they often only allow every intersecting road to go one road at a time - i.e. not both N/S roads then the E/W roads, but the N.S.E.W. one at a time, then they allow each road to turn right,then allow pedestrians in one direction, then the other pedestrians at right angles.

Not only that, they keep the red light on for an unreasonable length of time with no sense of 'phasing' lights so that at a reasonable speed one can catch every light just as it turns green, so that driving through Auckland, for example, one can be held up for what seems like an eternity at every intersection. Is it any wonder that we have a Red Light Jumping problem, or Amber Gamblers.

In my experience London and Los Angeles traffic lights, mostly, change around every35- 40 seconds, but not NZ. ( there is a junction in my nearby town that holds one up for 3 minutes minimum, then on to the next junction !)

The "experts" will tell you that stopping and starting, taking into account the acceleration and decelaration times, won't move as many 'units' through a junction in an hour as letting one road go for a long time before then giving the crossing road a long time, but stopping and starting but slowly progressing sure beats the frustration of knowing that one is being stopped for long time - again !

I envy the ease with which traffic flows along the Los Angeles avenues, one can set an easy pace and just catch the green as you approach every light, and even if stopped it's usually only for about 35 ses. Driving in London never gave me any angst with regard to red lights - but I admit it's been awhile since I had to - but driving through Auckland raises my blood pressure and lowers my acceptability rating with my passengers - usually only Mrs ExS - every time !

And NZ drivers have absolutely no conception of how to use turn indicators on roundabouts - but we won't start that again !!

cattletruck
29th Nov 2013, 01:12
I stop at all red lights while riding my bicycle, but I then assess the situation and even look out for coppers, should it be safe to easily ride through the red light I do, any doubt and I just enjoy the rest off the saddle. Most car drivers who have observed me stop then ride through don't seem to pull any faces either.

maybe you do have the right of way but that won't help you when you're dead.

This should be the cyclists' mantra. We have all seen people in cars make so many mistakes between themselves that the much softer cyclists just wouldn't stand a chance.

Arch Stanton
29th Nov 2013, 06:10
[QUOTE]Cyclists without lights or helmets also makes my blood boil./QUOTE]

I didn't realise it was compulsory to wear bike helmets!

Anyway, wearing a helmet wont help you much unless it is a relatively minor accident. Look at the reports that show people are far more reckless and liable to to have accidents because they think they are safe wearing a helmet, it's not going to help if you get hit by a car at 30mph.

Statistically you will have far more deaths overall from ill health due to lack of exercise if you put people off exercising on bikes because they have to wear helmets. My wife insists the kids wear them so instead they walk everywhere because it a hassle to wear them and doesn't look 'cool'!

Tarq57
29th Nov 2013, 07:39
Cyclists running reds (or doing anything else a bit dodgy) doesn't bother me, unless it adversely affects me or another road user.

Often I see the cyclist check the way is clear before proceeding. (It almost always is. The lights here stay red in inverse time proportion to the number of vehicles availing themselves of the green cycle on the other road.)
I just think "yeah, I'd probably do the same".

What's the point of using a bike around town if you can't use your superior "squeezability" and visibility to sensibly shoot gaps in the traffic? Should be legal, (again) unless it inconveniences someone else.

After all, they've got a fairly convincing disincentive to not take the appropriate level of care. (Broken leg/cuts/bruises/death/etc vs a bit of panel damage.)

Anyone who has their blood "boil" over witnessing this is just chewing on sour grapes, I reckon.

ExSp33db1rd
29th Nov 2013, 07:54
(It almost always is. The lights here stay red in inverse time proportion to the number of vehicles availing themselves of the green cycle on the other road.)

Tarq 57 - thank you, confirmation that it's not just me !! ( see my previous) Maybe it happens in other countries too, but I have travelled a bit - it was my job - and NZ is by far the worst at holding traffic at red lights for far longer than is necessary, than I have experienced anywhere else.

Tarq57
29th Nov 2013, 07:59
ExSp33dbird, yeah, it was your post above that reminded me of this.

As if I needed reminding. I live in Wellington. Light phasing is apparently too difficult here. And most of the blardy things are timed (not reactive), and at several "complex" intersections, they insist on going through a programmed cycle, regardless of whether anyone is waiting at another light or not.

Sometimes I just go, anyway.

ExXB
29th Nov 2013, 08:35
Car drivers are fined (significantly, because it is dangerous) for doing it, pedestrians are fined for doing it. But cyclists should not be.

Not sure I understand the reasons why here. If they want to change the law, OK, but until they do so fine the bar-stewards.

In Geneva they are talking about having traffic lights flash Amber during the nights. Now that makes sense.

Smeagol
29th Nov 2013, 08:46
Has no-one read the 1st Rule in the Kuwaiti highway code?

Do not stop at a red light until the car in front of you does...............

Of course it may have changed since I was there in the 1980's.......but I doubt it!

alicopter
29th Nov 2013, 08:56
Geneva and flashing amber lights... of course it makes sense... Like in France where cyclists are not legally asked to stop at red lights, it makes you use your head, THINK before acting, use your own initiative........ a bit like flying by the seat of your pants and your eyes and be aware of your place in space, not trusting bloody hardware that can go wrong. That's what keeps the humain race going.......

whitebait1
29th Nov 2013, 13:02
I cycle every day through London and drive through it fairly regularly. I don't jump reds on my bike or in my car, but I do watch others do it. Cyclists jump reds very differently to cars.

Cars will speed up to try to squeeze through before the light turns red (and sometimes after - I see it at least once every time I go around the Crooked Billet roundabout). This is dangerous for several reasons, depending on light timings, others may already have green. I've almost been taken out by drivers jumping definite reds as I get a green light. Very scary, obviously I check whether anyone's doing that before pulling out. If I was just relying on my green light I'd be squished.

Cyclists however, will usually stop, assess the situation and then cross the road when it's safe for them to do so. I'd rather wait for the green light, personally, but they are generally doing it safely for themselves and others. I abhor cyclists who jump the lights when pedestrians are crossing. It's just not on, but I see drivers and motorcyclists do that at zebra crossings pretty often here too.

Also, with regards to that video, any time a vehicle pulls up when the light is red and creeps over that first line into the advanced stop line/bike box, they've technically run a red light.

Sallyann1234
29th Nov 2013, 14:31
I've yet to see a car proceed through a Red light
Really? :rolleyes::rolleyes:
You haven't driven through Brixton then, where red lights are only advisory. If you are the first car to stop after the light has changed to red you will receive a blast from the car behind..

mixture
29th Nov 2013, 21:50
Really?
Yes, really. And yes I really have done a LOT of driving in London.

You haven't driven through Brixton then
See my post: http://www.pprune.org/8070440-post586.html

I rest my case.

If you are the first car to stop after the light has changed to red you will receive a blast from the car behind..

That, my dear, is probably more reflective of the quality of your driving that the nonsense you are spouting about red lights being "optional" in London.

I suspect, like our dear friend a few posts above, you are confusing Amber with Red.

Blues&twos
29th Nov 2013, 22:49
As a former lorry driver in and around London and previously having lived in South London for six years my experience was that it wasn't unusual to see cars, vans etc jumping red lights. Having said that, I don't think London is any worse than other urban areas with heavy traffic.

Those battenberg vans were buggers for it though. Anyone would think lives depended on them getting somewhere..

Arch Stanton
30th Nov 2013, 08:55
Quote from Mixture:

"I've yet to see a car proceed through a Red light"

You must be driving around with your eyes closed! It is common practice almost everywhere I have driven in the UK.

Gertrude the Wombat
30th Nov 2013, 10:49
Every time I drive I see at least one cyclist jumping a red light.

Every time I cycle I see at least one motorist jumping a red light.

In other news, the Pope is rumoured not to be a protestant, and bears living in woods are rumoured not to have flush toilets.

Patrin
30th Nov 2013, 22:11
wearing a helmet wont help you much unless it is a relatively minor accident. Look at the reports that show people are far more reckless and liable to to have accidents because they think they are safe wearing a helmet, it's not going to help if you get hit by a car at 30mph.

Statistically you will have far more deaths overall from ill health due to lack of exercise if you put people off exercising on bikes because they have to wear helmets. My wife insists the kids wear them so instead they walk everywhere because it a hassle to wear them and doesn't look 'cool'!

I cant believe that people really act more reckless when they are wearing helmets, by the same logic motor cyclists shouldn't wear helmets either encase they act reckless as well.
And if wearing a helmet is going to put you off doing exercise because it looks uncool then you obviously not motivated enough to do any exercise.

Gertrude the Wombat
30th Nov 2013, 22:30
This afternoon's score:

- 5 cars jumped red lights
- 1 cyclist jumped red lights

(I was cycling)

The cyclist was the worse, actually - he went across the junction on the pedestrian phase causing a pedestrian, crossing legitimately, to jump out of his way.

Arch Stanton
1st Dec 2013, 15:33
I cant believe that people really act more reckless when they are wearing helmets

Imagine you are at the top of a very challenging downhill mountain bike course. On your first attempt you ride down in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt.
On your second attempt you wear a helmet and full protective padding.

Which run do you think you would be more reckless on and likely to get injured?

Kids who are told they are safe because they are wearing a helmet will take more risks than when they don't.

reynoldsno1
1st Dec 2013, 22:00
NZ drivers have absolutely no conception of how to use turn indicators on roundabouts ... and that includes the police, and driving instructors :\

ExXB
2nd Dec 2013, 08:41
They are introducing more and more roundabouts into this fair country. With them there is a law requiring drivers to signal their exit.

Many, particularly the frogs from over the border, think that this law overrules the law requiring drivers to signal, in advance, their intention to turn off the road they are on, or to change lanes.

So, idiot turning right (right hand drive), doesn't signal until s/he is already exiting roundabout. No advance information for other drivers!

Idiot turning left, does not signal until s/he has proceed 3/4s of the way around and is half way through exiting. No advance information for other drivers.

Idiot going straight over, sometimes will signal left (believe it or not) but change signal to right while exiting. Confusing information !!!!

Why can't they simply signal in advance what you intend to do, not what you are doing!

The only accident I've had in 30 years in Switzerland was at a roundabout where the woman coming from my left, signalled right but was going straight on. Even though she admitted this to the plods, it was still my fault.

DType
2nd Dec 2013, 15:24
But in Italy a red light doesn't mean "Stop", it means "Give the other road priority". I have actually been hassled by the Italian police for stopping at a red!
Which almost makes sense when you see the percentage of time the tarmac in a "busy" junction in other countries is empty of traffic.
In a simple cross roads, the junction should ideally have twice the single road flow, not something like a quarter of it.

Tarq57
2nd Dec 2013, 17:48
But in Italy a red light doesn't mean "Stop", it means "Give the other road priority"

I love this concept.
Roll it out, please.

G-CPTN
2nd Dec 2013, 18:04
in Italy a red light doesn't mean "Stop"I have observed this phenomenon (mainly in Southern Italy).

I've watched Cinquecentos using the footway to bypass the queues that have (eventually) stopped - and then the other vehicles following them across the junction - regardless of the colour of the lights. :ugh:

ExSp33db1rd
2nd Dec 2013, 21:01
............ and that includes the police, and driving instructors and, sadly, commercial lorry drivers.

I voluntarily attended a New Zealand "Age Concern" driving refresher course, theory not practice, the object being to update "older" drivers to new rules and the like that had been introduced since we took our driving tests some 50 or 60 years ago.

The course consisted of 8 female attendees and 2 male, and was conducted by a female instructor. I'm not being deliberately sexist, just stating facts.

The instructor gave the wrong 'rules' for use of indicators approaching, and negotiating, a roundabout, telling the class to use a left indicator if taking the first exit, correct, and a right indicator if proceeding straight across or turning right. Wrong.

Not one woman objected. I did, and was supported by the other male. The instructor insisted that she was right, even after I produced a Police publication showing pictures of the correct useage, and the rest of the class just nodded silent acquiesence

The other male and I then walked out. Can't preach to the "converted".

I just don't get it, it ain't rocket science, why can't New Zealanders - of both sexes - a) read the rules, b) understand them and c) obey them?

DType
2nd Dec 2013, 22:06
And in Naples the motor bikes bypass the jams by driving through the restaurant (and I don't mean the bit set out on the pavement).

Capetonian
2nd Dec 2013, 22:14
I just nearly got knocked over by a black man, dressed in black, riding a black bicycle with no lights on an unlit towpath on a dark night.

I am in favour of the Darwinism which assists these people to their destiny, but not when they jeopardise other people's lives in the process.

NWSRG
2nd Dec 2013, 22:36
Crossing a pedestrian crossing not far from Paddington Station (and with the green man showing for pedestrians), I was very nearly flattened by a young lady riding her bicycle at speed straight through a red light, and through the group of us crossing the road. If she had hit me at the speed she was doing, I dread to think of the damage she would have done to both of us. Perception is that a lot of cyclists take real chances with their own and other peoples safety. And if that perception keeps growing, they will surely soon face additional legislation.

cockney steve
3rd Dec 2013, 18:15
As I'm now an "old fart" I'm considering carrying a large Golf-umbrella,to "accidentally " thrust into the wheels of these morons.

Gertrude the Wombat
3rd Dec 2013, 23:06
As I'm now an "old fart" I'm considering carrying a large Golf-umbrella,to "accidentally " thrust into the wheels of these morons.
Didn't someone get jailed for doing something like that round here just a few days ago? - IIRC he was an old fart too.

Cunliffe
4th Dec 2013, 12:21
I was watching a police video programme on Pick TV the other day. Video from in the police car showed a cyclist in front riding after dark with no lights. He then rode through a red light and then along the pavement. When the police tried to stop him he just carried on but was eventually stopped. Turned out he had just left the pub and was in no mood to be lectured. It was ponted out that he had committed 4 offences (not including RUI) but he would not admit any wrongdoing.. After refusing to accept a warning and then a fixed penalty, he was charged and later appeared in court.

What do you think his penalty was?

ANSWER: £750 fine, £150 costs, 200 hours community service.
Bet you didn't see that coming!

Lord Spandex Masher
10th Aug 2014, 17:55
VDnCXagnfzM

:E

OFSO
10th Aug 2014, 19:09
Talking to a taxi driver in Paris last month - said same thing: cyclists ignore rules, regs, traffic lights, other vehicles, pedestrians. Said what he'd like to do to them.

Capetonian
10th Aug 2014, 19:38
My contempt for the way many cyclists abuse the road and other road users has increased today. Half of Surrey was in lockdown due to a never ending procession of cyclists causing massive road closures and consequent congestion on the routes that were open. I also heard some of the cyclists hurling abuse at the marshals who were doing their best to keep some order.

I had to walk 4 miles in torrential rain, which did little to increase my good humour.

radeng
10th Aug 2014, 19:57
Cunliffe,

That penalty is NOWHERE near enough! Should have included crushing the bike...and £7500 fine!

The worst I've seen, besides ignoring the rules of the road on roundabouts, was ignoring the red flashing lights at an AHB level crossing. Sadly, he got across before the train hit him....still, it made sure the train didn't get derailed, even if it quite likely give the poor train driver brown underpants.

500N
10th Aug 2014, 20:05
Some bikers deserve what they cop they are that dangerous in what they do or are that stupid like wearing
all black / dark clothes with no lights when Yellow Fluro reflective belts, jackets and ankle straps ($2.80)
cost a couple of $$$ (maybe $9) at most (including delivery).

And flashing lights are only a couple of $$$.

I can't see any reason a cyclist should not be wearing something bright, reflective, fluro.

con-pilot
10th Aug 2014, 20:13
Very close to where I live is a major city water reservoir, called Lake Hefner. The area around this lake contains a 36 hole golf course, three parks, two boat marinas, a restaurant complex on the lake and a bicycle trail that goes completely around the lake.

This bicycle trail was built a few years ago due to complaints by vehicle drivers that use the road that goes around about two thirds of the lake and the community by bicyclists that ride around the lake. In fact a special bond issue was passed just to build this bike trail.

So vehicle/bike conflicts sorted, yes? No.

The bicyclists still use the road. Why you ask, because they complain that there is not enough room to ride three or four abreast on the bicycle trail. So they ride on the vehicle road three or four abreast blocking vehicle traffic.

Some would consider them selfish bassards.

I know I do.

John Hill
10th Aug 2014, 20:35
I was a cycle commuter for a few years and I certainly went through red lights after carefully checking for conflicting traffic. The advantage is that if the cyclist crosses on the red he/she can ride the next block without interference to or from motorised traffic.

My practice was to always ride in the middle of the lane (but pull over wherever there was space to safely do so). Some drivers seem to hate this sensible practice and maybe some of them post to Jet Blast.

On the subject of roundabout in NZ. First off, not all roundabout are equal, not all roundabouts are at 90 degree intersections of two roads, some have more, or less, entries/exits than four. Some have railways tracks through the middle.

But considering the simple roundabout at a cross roads (these are much favoured by designers in Christchurch)... indicate if taking the road to the left or to the right otherwise (i.e. straight on) do not indicate. If one were to attempt to apply the 'indicate before the exit' rule when taking the second exit you would find it impossible on many cars the reasons being that the roundabouts are small, the exits close together, traffic is (hopefully) flowing and consequently many vehicles would barely get one 'blink' after passing the first exit.

I frequently read that driving in NZ is different and for that I am thankful.

RedhillPhil
10th Aug 2014, 21:49
VDnCXagnfzM

:E

I'd describe myself as a commuter cyclist. That clip made me feel soooooo good! Idiots like the one that came hurtling down Redstone Hill here a few weeks ago, through the red temporary light and missed me in my car by about a foot as I turned right don't do the cycling fraternity any good at all.

Tankertrashnav
10th Aug 2014, 22:16
Half of Surrey was in lockdown due to a never ending procession of cyclists causing massive road closures and consequent congestion on the routes that were open. I also heard some of the cyclists hurling abuse at the marshals who were doing their best to keep some order.

Oh yes, the bleeding London bleeding Surrey bike ride or whatever it was called.

BBC1 devoted four and a half hours to this event.

FOUR AND A HALF BLEEDING HOURS!

FOR A BLEEDING BIKE RACE!

BLEEDING HECK!

Oh and why do they have to call the bunch of idiots up front "the peleton"

We're not bleeding French! :*

radeng
10th Aug 2014, 23:01
One would love to know if any emergency services vehicles were delayed by this bean feast.

mixture
10th Aug 2014, 23:03
I frequently read that driving in NZ is different and for that I am thankful.

New Zealand Population 4.43 Million
London Population 8.308 Million

You do the math. :E

Put it this way, having driven in London and other major cities around the world, driving in New Zealand was pure bliss. No, not because of any "quality" in the drivers (which was not there, driving was as bad or good as anywhere else...) ... but because of the sheer lack of traffic. Seriously, even driving around Auckland at peak times I struggled to find any traffic jam of any significance !

500N
10th Aug 2014, 23:16
Auckland can get pretty bad - as in log jam - for short whiles, especially
when the weather is crap and the motorway jams up.

But compared to Sydney and Melbourne,
I suppose it pales in comparison.

500N
10th Aug 2014, 23:19
OK, here is a question for those cyclists.

Why do people who cycle do so in dark clothes, no or small lights and no reflective vests or type material anywhere on them or the bike.

As I have said before, I see them around, not just idiot teenagers on weekends but people cycling home from work,
one guy at 6.00am who is obviously going to work - no lights at all and dark clothing.

Why, when gear and lights is so cheap ?

Do they have a death wish ?

Lord Spandex Masher
11th Aug 2014, 01:37
The advantage is that if the cyclist crosses on the red he/she can ride the next block without interference to or from motorised traffic.

Huh? Do all motorised vehicles disappear once they cross the white line?

John Hill
11th Aug 2014, 03:34
Do all motorised vehicles disappear once they cross the white line?

Effectively yes, motor vehicles that would otherwise be trying to share a lane with the cyclist are all back waiting for the lights to change.

DevX
11th Aug 2014, 04:33
QUOTE:
Oh yes, the bleeding London bleeding Surrey bike ride or whatever it was called.

BBC1 devoted four and a half hours to this event.

FOUR AND A HALF BLEEDING HOURS!

FOR A BLEEDING BIKE RACE!

BLEEDING HECK!

Oh and why do they have to call the bunch of idiots up front "the peleton"

We're not bleeding French!

Oh dear, you need a soothing cuddle methinks. This particular race is on but once a year, unlike dreary foopyball which blights the media and papers all year round, not to mention the World Cup, European cup etc. The Beeb donates a whole lot longer on this drivel than it does on cycling.
If you don't like it on your TV don't watch it. Simples.
And BTW, the word is PELOTON. :ok:

500N
11th Aug 2014, 04:36
just out of interest, how many free TV channels do you have in the UK ?

We have about 4 per TV station so 7, 9 and 10, SBS each have 4 digital
and I think our ABC has a couple as well.

Tankertrashnav
11th Aug 2014, 08:27
And BTW, the word is PELOTON.

Apologies - it's years since I did French at uni, but I should have got that one right. However I still maintain it's not a peloton, its a bunch! Anyway I don't want a soothing cuddle, I like being grumpy:*

500N - I think it's around 60, but as at least 50 of them are either shopping channels or show nothing but tripe, then the total is not as good as it appears.

Pinky the pilot
11th Aug 2014, 08:37
Having flat-spotted a set of tyres (brand new on one occasion) on my car on several occasions doing emergency stops due to some (expletive deleted) cyclists blithely ignoring red lights I eventually made a decision.

I will never ever again do emergency braking for one of these fools!:mad::mad:

Thankfully I have never had it happen since. :hmm:

radeng
11th Aug 2014, 09:02
500N

To add to your question...

All of 500N's points PLUS cycling as described on a dark winter's night on an unlit country road with no streets lights within 5 miles.

The other cyclist's death wish must be cycling in Gloucestershire with all its potholes in the roads! Amazes me none of them have been killed hitting potholes, although one or two have been injured quite badly.

Lord Spandex Masher
11th Aug 2014, 09:25
Effectively yes, motor vehicles that would otherwise be trying to share a lane with the cyclist are all back waiting for the lights to change.

And the line of traffic in front of you waiting for their lights to change?

You've never ridden in a big city have you?

John Hill
11th Aug 2014, 09:53
The line of waiting traffic is half a mile ahead, do you have small city blocks in your town?

Lord Spandex Masher
11th Aug 2014, 09:54
Never measured them, lots of traffic though. Makes long lines.

Tankertrashnav
11th Aug 2014, 09:56
All of 500N's points PLUS cycling as described on a dark winter's night on an unlit country road with no streets lights within 5 miles.

Some years ago two cyclists riding without lights at night on a narrow unlit rural road near here collided head on. One was quite badly injured, the other was killed.

I suppose there was some poetic justice in that both were cyclists, but as the chap who was killed left a wife and two kids who attended the same school as ours, I could only feel sorry for them.

ORAC
11th Aug 2014, 10:00
just out of interest, how many free TV channels do you have in the UK ? Terrestrial, about 75, if you include satellite about 150-200, but there's duplication between standard and HD channels and BBC regional and national channels.

All free TV channels
(http://www.ukfree.tv/allchannels.php)

John Hill
11th Aug 2014, 10:02
Traffic moves in clumps. They bunch up waiting for the lights then move off together. A smart cyclist positions himself in the intervals between the clumps.

OFSO
11th Aug 2014, 11:13
This part of Catalunia is covered in fruit orchards, and the workers are mostly Africans who are extremely black and have a low albedo. They invariably ride bikes with no lights, often on the wrong side or in the middle of the road, and considering that back roads are also used extensively at weekends by drunk or drugged Spanish youth driving home from the discos, it's amazing that one doesn't hear of more deaths, Or any, in fact.

thegypsy
11th Aug 2014, 11:21
Mostly Africans says OFSO. Just remind me what the unemployment rate is in Spain. Sounds as if Spain has gone the way of the lazy lowlife Brits:hmm:

Blacksheep
11th Aug 2014, 11:22
On Saturday I approached a junction of two dual carriageways, controlled (unusually for UK) by traffic lights instead of a roundabout. A cyclist (normal type, not a lycra looney) rode diagonally across the junction with vehicles swerving to both sides to avoid him. He was riding with one hand on the handlebars. The other held the obligatory telephone to his ear. There are of course, no lights controlling the diagonal path, so that must be OK then. :rolleyes:

Ignorance is bliss, I suppose, until a DHL Juggernaut smacks into you.

Capetonian
11th Aug 2014, 14:41
Africans who are extremely black and have a low albedo. ........ it's amazing that one doesn't hear of more deaths, Or any, in fact. Illegal and undocumented. Since they don't officially exist, their deaths are not likely to be recorded.

eticket
11th Aug 2014, 15:52
Some varied thoughts on the ride-london:

1. Congratulations to the 20,000 riders who went past the front door of the house I was staying in. Congratulations both for your effort and for the money that you raised for charity.

2. Brickbats to the twenty eight riders who threw their used energy bar wrappers onto the verge in front of the house. Presumably there are another twenty thousand wrappers scattered along the course.

3. Major brickbat to the rider who left a Richard the Third on the verge. Hopefully there are no others scattered along the course.

4. Twenty thousand cyclists have now had the experience of legally going through lots of red lights. I wonder how many will now put this into illegal practice in their day to day cycling?

4. There was an earlier query about delays to the emergency services.
I saw one ambulance going along the 'closed' road. It had blue lights on and instead of going quickly it was going at the same pace as the riders. Given the normal number of ambulances on the road the rest must have been diverted onto longer routes. A Doctor at a nearby hospital explained that last year he couldn't go home at the end of his shift as all the roads were closed and he couldn't find a way through. He had to wait until the roads opened.

OFSO
11th Aug 2014, 16:22
Sounds as if Spain has gone the way of the lazy lowlife Brits

Quite often if you want a job doing here in Spain, it's the "lazy lowlife Brits" who are running the business while Maroccans are doing the physical work of building, tiling, plastering and so on. The Moroccans like the British because they don't treat them like dirt and also have a shared love of a frequent cup of tea (although with mint, not milk).