PDA

View Full Version : Nothing is Normal Anymore

meadowrun
28th Nov 2013, 10:21
Was thinking while tearing up cardboard boxes for re-cycling at 0203 this morning that I'm quite used to things like that.
Re-cyclers want cardboard separated from regular paper and newsprint but don't take corrugated cardboard. Have I got news for them.
I think nothing of emailing Oz or UK at 0346 regularly.
I think nothing of spending a few hours fettering a computer browser hijack virus into cowering and disappearing.
Normal is neat casual on flights everytime even when surrounded with t-shirts, shorts and flip flops. (Anyway improves chance for upgrades).
I intersperse ciggies with E types.
I find computer communication far more effective than finding a flesh and blood or using the telephone.
I eat when I'm hungry.

DX Wombat
28th Nov 2013, 12:08
What is "normal"?

sitigeltfel
28th Nov 2013, 12:15
I intersperse ciggies with E types.

Coupé or convertible?

cattletruck
28th Nov 2013, 12:26
Re-cyclers want cardboard separated from regular paper and newsprint but don't take corrugated cardboard. Have I got news for them.

My mate drives the dump truck that collects paper waste. When he needs to take a dump he climbs into the back. Has he got a suprise for them at the sorting depot.

Dushan
28th Nov 2013, 12:56

Then they can separate it to their heart's desire. I just shove everything down the garbage chute. What happens to it once it hits dumpster, below, is not my business. That's why I pay for the service.

John Marsh
28th Nov 2013, 13:17
DX Wombat:
What is "normal"?
Good question. I'd suggest: that to which we have become habituated.
Whatever we believe is necessary, right, real, true. The believing part isn't always conscious.

mikedreamer787
28th Nov 2013, 16:36
Then they can separate it to their heart's desire. I
just shove everything down the garbage chute

Same here. A few years ago this 'feel good'
recycling nonsense reached our little town
and everyone was expected to separate his
or her crap into the different colored bins
provided. I just stuffed my bags of trash in
the nearest bin that wasn't full, as did all the
locals. Soon after coloring of bins stopped
due to lack of interest. No bugger was at all
interested in separating shit from shit.

I have no problem with this "recycling" hype.
The feel-good brigade can go separate all my
rubbish till the cows come home. Just don't
expect me to bloody do it.

lomapaseo
28th Nov 2013, 16:47
Can I whine here ?

What tickles my pectorals are hotels rooms of the big chains and their trash baskets under the desk. They have simply modified an insert that goes inside the basket to form two compartments, Supposedly for recycleables and other trash.

After eating my takeaways there is no way that I can fit the containers into their respective pigeon holes so I just balance them in a tall pile on top of the trash basket

500N
28th Nov 2013, 16:49
Mike

Same here.

Many years ago, probably 20 - 25, the first push to recycle came along.

The local council asked rubbish be separated. Duly did, not that I was
much of a Greenie.

Anyway, one day I had to go to the local tip. Emptying my stuff,
a big truck drives past and dumps all these bottles. I asked what
go was only to be told that they dump them here as no one can
recycle them !!! :}

In addition, the big paper company here in Aus had to put out a call
to stop collecting paper for recycling as the depot was full and they
didn't have the capacity to recycle it all !!! :}

End of my recycling, never done it since, never will.
GF does but she knows my views.

WOFTAM if ever it existed.

Oh, they want us to recycle but only two states have a 5cent fee
for collecting bottles and those states don't have much rubbish
by the road sides !!!

Fox3WheresMyBanana
1st Dec 2013, 10:46
My little Island has over 50% of waste recycled - top in Canada and pretty good in world terms I should think. It works for three reasons:
1. Everybody on the Island knows we need it - we have to sacrifice good land for every landfill site.
2. It makes a profit, which is fed back into reducing fees in common sense ways so that there is no temptation to fly-tip, e.g. there are no fees for farmers' silage wrap, and recycling fees for electronics are paid when purchasing, so disposal is no cost.
3. Nobody gets silly about sorting absolutely everything.

More here, just case anyone's interested in how it should be done.
Island Waste Management Corporation (http://www.iwmc.pe.ca/)

cattletruck
1st Dec 2013, 11:17
Cactus, he works for that "prat". He broke his collar bone a few years ago trying not to drop his motorbike after some dippy car driver stepped on the anchors for no good reason. He's a top bloke and really enjoys his job driving the recycling truck early in the morning. He even managed to get his @rsehole manager sacked who was f-ing useless.

"prat"'s depot is already oversupplied and plenty of that paper product marked for recycling goes to the tip.

G-CPTN
1st Dec 2013, 11:44
I separate my recyclables (plastic, tins and paper) but the council collect it in one truck so it has to be resorted at the depot. :ugh:

Fox3WheresMyBanana
1st Dec 2013, 11:46
They use 2 trucks here, the second with separate compartments for the monthly recyclables. It stays separated.

Blacksheep
1st Dec 2013, 12:22
Here in Hatfield, Hertfordshire County Council wishes to build an incinerator to recycle 380,000 tonnes of waste per year into carbon dioxide and various toxic gasses. We citizens are opposing it, as we believe it should be built far from human habitation: not adjacent to a special school, a Tesco distribution centre and with more than 2,000 people living within a one mile radius of the chimney.

So much for green policy.

Fox3WheresMyBanana
1st Dec 2013, 12:53
I used to live right there!
Left in 1974, never to return, about which I am pleased. The grass I used to play on is now more houses with no grass left for the children.

500N
1st Dec 2013, 13:07
I save the planet by saving energy and decreasing CO2 emissions.

It all goes in one bin which then means only one truck has to stop start,
thereby decreasing emissions.

Re "prat"'s depot is already oversupplied and plenty of that paper product
marked for recycling goes to the tip." He was one of the one's who called a stop to recycling many years ago on the basis they were full.

SawMan
1st Dec 2013, 13:47
Which all proves that there is no such thing as "normal", just a "usual" or "average". And besides, what's the fun in being the usual average anyway? :8

I am a stellar example of normal humanity (or at least that's the part of the universe which my GF normally tries to kick me into when she's mad) :cool:

radeng
1st Dec 2013, 13:54
Way back in the early 1950's, I was entranced by a machine visible in a council workshop where they were compacting cardboard for re-use. I was told that it was compacted down to cubes about 18 inches per side, and at recycling, it was chopped by machine and mixed with water and processed back into cardboard. I have a feeling it was a process left over from WW2. That was in Worksop.

Then it probably became cheaper to bury it.....