PDA

View Full Version : Sugar

SpringHeeledJack
28th Nov 2013, 05:56
A classic grilling from Paxman, to a back pedaling CEO of a soft drinks giant. I knew that there was a lot of sugar in some drinks, but those cinema type cup sizes :eek: No wonder there are so many obese people in the world.

BBC News - How much sugar in a Coca-cola? (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-25132851)

SHJ

Krystal n chips
28th Nov 2013, 06:22
Never has a sales term been more apt...."Go Large ! " for both the products / consumers and...the profits.

Food and drink firms undermining public health policy, say scientists | Society | theguardian.com (http://www.theguardian.com/society/2013/feb/12/food-drink-alcohol-health-regulation)

ExXB
28th Nov 2013, 09:16
So how many sugar sachets in a 1L bottle of coke?

tony draper
28th Nov 2013, 09:32
I dont think it's just sugar,my generation were fed on a diet of stodge that would have had the health fluffies getting very damp around the knicker region, if the the buggas had been around then that is,if we were lucky we might have one fat kid in a class of forty.
There would probably be someone called Fat Bob in the local pub,nowadays they probably have a regular called Skinny Bob
I think the western genome has mutated,everybody born after 1965 is a bloody mutant.
We all know what should be done with mutants. :E

SpringHeeledJack
28th Nov 2013, 10:50
I dont think it's just sugar,my generation were fed on a diet of stodge that would have had the health fluffies getting very damp around the knicker region

Well with the general lack of physical movement by people these days it all adds up. I'd also say it's the mass proliferation of HFCS (High Fructose Corn Syrup) used as a sweetener in all kinds of spurious food products. It's not all pleasant reading Why You Should Never Eat High Fructose Corn Syrup | Mark Hyman, MD (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-hyman/high-fructose-corn-syrup_b_4256220.html)

SHJ

cattletruck
28th Nov 2013, 10:52
Nowadays manboobs feature prominantly in the western genome. Thank the Colonel's chicken for that. You can probably thank him too for all the young blokes turning into poofs - you know, secret herbs and spices.

I've actually found a sugary soft drink to be most beneficial just before digging up the garden, so it's not all that bad.

ExXB
28th Nov 2013, 14:29
As a T1 diabetic I rarely partake of such drinks. But if I'm ever hypoglycaemic (low blood sugar) nothing raises the bs quicker. In fact, I need to be careful not to consume too much. 1 or 2dl is plenty.

Dak Man
28th Nov 2013, 14:36
During a long distance bike ride I tried all the go faster juices, full fat Coke was by far the best for a sustained and noticeable energy release - otherwise I steer well clear of the stuff.

In Canada there is something called Mio, it's like a highly concentrated squash/juice that contains basically nowt apart from a few artificial sweeteners.

mikedreamer787
28th Nov 2013, 14:58
Apart from Coke and all that highly sugared shit,
steer clear of Coke Light - its full of Rumsfeld's (http://todayyesterdayandtomorrow.wordpress.com/2007/08/10/donald-rumsfeld-in-bed-with-aspartame/)
aspartame and is very nasty stuff (http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/08/03/just-how-bad-is-aspartame.aspx).

lqIFDoOwSFM

500N
28th Nov 2013, 15:03
I drink far too much coffee with Sugar and I know when my body gets
low in sugar. This is not conducive when "out bush" so on return to camp,
a cold Solo or maybe Coke does wonders for short term relief.

Recently they had a article in the newspaper with diagrams, using sachels
of sugar or teaspoons. I knew how much sugar was in things but even that
diagram surprised me.

Capetonian
28th Nov 2013, 15:23
I read somewhere recently that sugar is one of the biggest causes of health related problems in western society. It is harmful and ubiquitous, found not only in the obvious things such as sweets and cakes, but also in nearly all junk food. As I never eat fast food, I content myself with the thought that one or two of these daily is doing me less harm than MuckDonalds, KFC, etc. Also I don't use sugar for anything other than very rarely in certain recipes, and then it's brown unrefined sugar.

http://www.yardenoutlet.co.uk/images/uploads/thumbs/thumb_sa054.JPGhttp://www.britsuperstore.com/acatalog/Tunnocks_Milk_Chocolate_Caramel_Wafers_8_Pack.jpg

500N
28th Nov 2013, 15:33
The Aborignals here in Aus used to walk everywhere.
All healthy.

They now use 4WD's to get around, eat crap junk food
and drink copious amounts of soft drink.

They now suffer a high rate of diabetes.

It is called "Toyota disease" !

An apt name.

603DX
28th Nov 2013, 15:36
if we were lucky we might have one fat kid in a class of forty.

In the familiar Monty Python mode, "We used to dream about only having 40 in our class ...". In 1950, my last year at Primary School, we had 48 in the class. I remember this, because we all had to take turns at being milk monitor, bell ringer for the end of each lesson, inkwell monitor, and chalker-up of the total attendance each day. (No slacking allowed back in those days!) We had two fat kids in the class, so the proportion wasn't too different.

And though it might be expected that mayhem would result from a class that big, teachers knew how to keep order, and we actually learnt a lot.
In fact, 10 of us passed the 11-plus to grammar schools, so the standards were obviously good.

500N
28th Nov 2013, 15:42
From my prep school class I can remember one fat kid.
And my year at Oundle, one fat kit in my year in my house.

"teachers knew how to keep order, and we actually learnt a lot."

Chalk duster at high speed !

Ruler across the desk or knuckles !

Might sound harsh but didn't do me any harm.

mikedreamer787
28th Nov 2013, 15:46
The fat kids at our school in the 60s really copped
massive doses of brutally cruel shit from everyone.

It wasn't until in our older years that it was realised
the fat kids' bloody parents were the ones who really
deserved to be nastily kicked humiliated and spat at.

500N
28th Nov 2013, 15:53
Mike

The guy at prep school, he deserved it. Thought he was a cut above the rest.

I remember his name was Georgovic, I think he was Jewish and an arrogant prick. Used to play Scrum Half for the 1st's, I played Fly half for the seconds, when we played (practised) against each other, I used to enjoy flattening him into the ground. Which he made it easy as he was a ball hog !!! :O

mikedreamer787
28th Nov 2013, 16:16
We had the odd fat slobbering arrogant prick too
500 but there weren't all that many, given we lived
in an underprivileged suburb. Many were kids who
were unlucky enough to cop idiot parents who'd
dote 'em too much by stuffing their lunches with
Wagon Wheels, tubes of Rollos, a lifetime supply
of bloody LifeSavers and stacks of apple tarts.

One in particular I remember, Donald Henwood.
We were beating the shit out of the poor fat cnut
in the bike shed when Mrs Henwood, a rotund
basketball of a woman personified, yelled at us
to stop picking on her "little Donnie" and chased
us off with an iron pipe she found in the corner.

She then opened her handbag and stuffed a huge
fcuking great Wagon Wheel (remember those 25c
big ones?) in "little Donnie's" mouth, no doubt to
comfort her little boy! :ugh:

I can understand poor people lavishing their kids
with nice stuff to make up for the fact they can't
afford bus money for themselves let alone a car,
but to lavish them with junk food? :rolleyes:

Loose rivets
28th Nov 2013, 17:54
Tubby was huge. He was from Sheffield and one of my closest friends. My other close pal would have been called tubby, if tubby hadn't been tubbier, so he was just called Paddy. Not because he was well-padded, but because that was his name.

No one messed with Tubby. At age 11 he slugged it out with the strongest boy I'd ever known. Aaaaaagh! he won't have a chance, thinks I. But Tubby kept on sluggin' and finally, the powerful lad from SA conceded defeat. Tubby slowly put on his Harry Potter glasses and quietly walked away.

Tubby's name was Tingle. Not uncommon up north, but rare enough for someone to find him on Where are they now? forum. Well, he showed me his telephone number. Yes, I should have done that myself.:ugh: Tubby worked for RR, in Derby, so there was an aviation connection. So, a good chunk of a lifetime later I was talking to him. After ages on the phone, he said, We're talking just like we used to. And we were, just as though I'd seen him yesterday.

It turns out he became tall and thin by the time he was late teens. In fact, thin enough to be a pot-holer. Strong and thin, then. Never would have dreamed that would happen. But the thing was, while he was at secondary school his dad worked at the local fish and chip shop and I recall him coming home with dinner in a newspaper on several occasions. Irresistible cod and chips from yesteryear. Making me mouth water right now. If I'd had a dad like that I'd have been tubbier than both my pals put together.

Paddy went on to become an airline pilot and the fellow in who's footsteps I trod to do the same. He got thin while sailing the seas on the Chusan and other vessels to earn the moneny for his flying, but then went back to normal paddyness which he's retained to this day.

This was stage managed, but . . .

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/walnaze/Friends/KeithampPaddysweets_zpse6dff37f.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/walnaze/media/Friends/KeithampPaddysweets_zpse6dff37f.jpg.html)

I was one of the tallest lads in the school. I'd forgotten just how big tubby was. I never did find out where my Prince of Wales Reg buckle went. Note: We had proper trousers in those days.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v703/walnaze/Friends/KeithTingleampWRB_zpsc91cdf12.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/walnaze/media/Friends/KeithTingleampWRB_zpsc91cdf12.jpg.html)

cockney steve
28th Nov 2013, 22:49
AHH Mr. Loose, you continue to perpetuate the myth....I must correct you....FISH AND CHIPS IS NOT, OF ITSELF, A FATTENING MEAL
A properly cooked fish and chip portion has the lowest fat-content of ANY takeaway hot food.
the fish is NOT fried, although it's always termed as such...it's actually steamed in it's own juices inside a light, crisp batter jacket (which is predominantly self-raising flour, the water having boiled-off in the cooking process)

Good chips are thick-cut and washed to remove excess starch A hot fry produces a crisp, low-fat chip.
Churchill referred to the meal as "the good companions" and they were not rationed during the war, as they were an excellent source of nourishment to the populace working shifts in the factories.

"If the hole at the top is bigger than the hole at the bottom, you'll put on weight"

Dunno who said it, but it's true...we all ate cheap, poor food bread/toast and dripping was a rare treat,a bonus on top of a Sunday joint of meat. We weren't fat , we played out, climbed trees, rode soap-box carts , later went errands /walked dogs / mowed grass (push-mower, no motors then! ) sawed and chopped wood, carted the coal in ......no central heating....so we burned of the energy we consumed. have only seen a medic once in the past~15 years and that was due to very exceptional circumstances.

All 3 of my kids lead healthy, active lifestyles, though one does have a taste for junk food ...but he doesn't gorge himself into obesity.

a lot of it is down to self -control (or lack thereof) there are a very small number of people where weight gain is a side-effect of another medical problem....a very small number!.

500N
28th Nov 2013, 23:12
"dripping was a rare treat"

Dripping spread on toast was a substitute for butter and jam !

Used to love fried bread

G-CPTN
28th Nov 2013, 23:19
Not had fried bread for several years. :{

500N
28th Nov 2013, 23:22
Probably haven't had it for 20 years and that piece I cooked myself !

So 30 years is more like it.

Capetonian
28th Nov 2013, 23:33
Mother wouldn't allow us to have fried bread, not because it was unhealthy, in those days nobody cared or knew, but because it was something 'only Irish navvies eat'. So as soon as her back was turned, my Dad and I would fry bread in bacon fat!

500N
28th Nov 2013, 23:36
Yes, fried in the Bacon or Sausage fat after cooking is what we used to do.

Plus my mother and grand mother always had the dripping from the
weekend roast.

I know if ever I get stuck for food that the animals we eat can produce
one hell of a lot of fat / dripping !!!

Flash2001
28th Nov 2013, 23:43
If you need corn get it in the form of bourbon, 100% sugar free!

After an excellent landing etc...

probes
29th Nov 2013, 07:58
So as soon as her back was turned, my Dad and I would fry bread in bacon fat! :) we did it legally with me Mum present. Actually some (who know) say pure animal fat is much healthier than the "butter spreads" that contain God-knows-what (even He wouldn't, actually, I guess).
Not too much of it, of course.
Btw, we also had a class of 42 and just one fat kid (a girl) - thinking back (also the 60s), she really had some medical metabolism issue. But somehow we didn't bully her or anything - she just was like that. Maybe it's different with girls.

P.S how come KAG's nowhere around? :)

tony draper
29th Nov 2013, 08:36
Like I said before our genes up until the sixties/seventies programmed us to strive for altitude,a man over six feet tall was a rarity in my sproghood,now humanity has achieved that we been reprogrammed for width,we's fecked
:rolleyes:

indiscipline_girl
29th Nov 2013, 10:36
Eat all the sugar or HFCS you like- just turn the heating down to avoid becoming a blimp.

A new study from Britain links rising indoor temperatures to obesity. Central heating has become common in American and British homes since 1960, and room temperatures and obesity have risen simultaneously. The average temperature of living rooms in Britain was 64.9 degrees Fahrenheit in 1978, creeping upward to 70.3 degrees by 2008. Bedrooms in the U.K. were kept at 59 degrees in 1978 and climbed to 65.3 by 1996. U.S. bedrooms were 66.7 degrees in 1987, up to 68 by 2005.

Could warm houses be making us fat? : TreeHugger (http://www.treehugger.com/health/your-warm-house-might-be-making-you-fat.html)

radeng
29th Nov 2013, 12:25
In terms of added sugar, the radeng household gets through 2 or maybe 3 tablespoons a week, depending on whether 2 or 3 loaves are baked. Probably most of the other sugar intake is when canned tomatoes are used in cooking.

It's probably the alcohol that stops my weight coming down.

Loose rivets
30th Nov 2013, 03:32
Buggah! You lot are making me feel hungry again and I've just eaten.:*

My mum was good at DIY. Fantastic, in fact. Built a fold down bed during the war which was on a curved staircase - each leg a differing length. The inspecting bobby was well impressed. Anyway, she set about making a drying rack at Walton.

It didn't measure up to the one on ropes at Colchester. That was very professonal, and had thick bamboo rods to hang one's wet wares. The Walton one was made of canes tied together with raffia, and it worked simply because it was tied over the gas cooker.

When I met the Rivetess, she used to bathe herself several times a week. The quaint homested at Walton didn't quite meet her standards - not least of all because the fat I cooked me chips in hadn't been changed since mum let us have the place to ourselves. I had no idea one had to chance engine oil either. It leaked so fast there was always some new thickness being added to it, and that was true be it Castrol or bacon juice.

So, the Rivetess ran on love with her fingers pinching her nose and often her eyes closed at the Rivets' hygiene standard.

It was our place in society that mattered. She found herself explaining to our friends why I smelt of fish and chips, and bacon, and lamb chops, and more bacon. They all nodded. They knew my mum, and admired her expertise, and I think secretly rather liked the way their friend emitted this rather homely fragrance.

mikedreamer787
1st Dec 2013, 02:46
IG for a given fixed diet its known that colder
surroundings will keep your weight down as
compared to warm ones (metabolism). Those
expats from colder climes who wander off to
Singapore for a few years end up gaining a lot
of weight if they don't cut down on the pork
noodles and rice.

The local tailors know about it...and why they
add an inch to a newbie's uniform trousers &
shirt during the initial fitting.

mikedreamer787
2nd Dec 2013, 19:17
Ref my last, a bloke once told me any weight gained
in Singapore would be offset by the centrifugal shove
of the equator whizzing around at 900 odd knots and
therefore would not gain weight.

He was disappointed when I worked out the apparent
weight reduction would only be about 0.3% less than
what his scales read in Juneau.

He bunged on 5 kilos in the first 3 months.

500N
2nd Dec 2013, 19:29
Last couple of weeks cutting down eating at my GF's meant
I have lost 3kgs !!!

Cutting out the number of St Nato coffees I have will probably go
a long way to getting rid of more weight.

mikedreamer787
2nd Dec 2013, 19:56
Last couple of weeks cutting down eating
my GF's snatch meant I have lost 3kgs !!!

Fixed it for you! ;)

Lonewolf_50
2nd Dec 2013, 20:03
Do not talk trash about sugar.

Rum is made from sugar cane.

That is all.

Paid Political Announcement for things Nautical

500N
2nd Dec 2013, 20:11
Lonewolf

And the worse hang over I have ever had was caused by Rum !
(Followed closely by Southern Comfort :rolleyes:).

Windy Militant
2nd Dec 2013, 20:30
Just working my way way through some home made Rum and Raisin Fudge.
Well as I don't have a bowl big enough to fit all of this into the Micro wave in one go I did two lots one half plain the other Rum n Raisin.
400 gram tin sweetened condensed milk
400 grams Soft brown Sugar
250 grams butter
85 grams Raisins covered in Co op rum and left to soak*
Heat for 8 minutes on full power (750W)
stir every two minutes till done
Beat for five minutes till it thickens.**
Drink rest of Rum whilsts waitish for itsh to cool insh a fridgsh!

*actually that should have been 42.5 grams but I put them to soak before I remembered to split the mix so it didn't go Quatermass in the micro wave.

** The recipe says stiffens but I know what you lot are like.