PDA

View Full Version : Real Pizza Huts

SOPS
26th Nov 2013, 15:34
Was just chatting with next door, and the Pizza Hut delivery guy drove up. I have not used them for years, but it made me remember when I was a kid, how we used to go to the resturant and have real pizza cooked in ovens on big steel plates, with a salad bar, and drinks. This is Australia I am talking about.

So I was just wondering, do proper Pizza Hut resturants still exist, or are they just a delivery service?

zarniwoop
26th Nov 2013, 16:14
There are two in the center of Oxford, at least there were last time I ventured into the city center early last year

G-CPTN
26th Nov 2013, 16:27
Back in the 1970s, there were several excellent Italian food-outlets in Bedford (due to the significant resident Italian population).

One such was a tiny corner shop with a wood-fired brick-oven where pizzas were thrown and cooked whilst you waited.

Not part of any franchise, just an independent artisan.

500N
26th Nov 2013, 20:06
SOPS

Have a really nice Italian rest near where I live, they have a large oven
and a restaurant and do a damn good job of making it like they were
in the past.

I think you need to hunt around to find good pizza places now.

I reckon a few would exist on Lygon Street, Carlton being WOG Central.

500N
26th Nov 2013, 20:08
"Why did our Italian immigrants to the Glasgow area sell ice cream and fish & chips but not pizza?
I must ask one of their great grandchildren next time I visit the area."

You missed out big time then.

One of the great things about Oz was all the Maltese, Greeks and Italians
who came here in the 40's, 50's and 60's. Added even more to our cosmo
lifestyle and multi cultural society which is clearly shown in our food / restaurants.

Hydromet
26th Nov 2013, 20:37
When Pizza Huts arrived in Oz in about 1969, it was probably the first time many Australians had eaten round pizzas, although some places sold slices of pizza a few years before.
PH was one of the few places where you could have a reasonable meal at a reasonable price, with the family, and have a beer as well.

'Reasonable' is in the context of the time.

G-CPTN
26th Nov 2013, 20:40
There was a truly excellent Italian restaurant in Bedford in the 1970s (as I mentioned the significant Italian population said to number 20,000) run by the two sons of a genuine Momma who did the cooking.

Having become accustomed to the usual fare (and high standard at reasonable cost - it was where the Italians ate) I was on a business trip to Bristol and was taken to "the best Italian restaurant in Bristol" by my hosts.

To say that it was mediocre was being kind and when I enquired whether they might have zabaglione I was met with a blank stare and the question "What's that?"

Bedford is home to one of the largest concentrations of Italian immigrants in the UK. According to a 2001 census, 2 in 7 (almost 30%) of Bedford's population are of at least partial Italian descent. This is mainly as a result of labour recruitment in the early 1950s by the London Brick Company in the southern Italian regions of Puglia, Campania, Calabria, Molise, Abruzzo and Sicily. Bedford's Little Italy feel is enhanced by a wide variety of Italian bars, restaurants and social clubs throughout the town, as well as a large number of delis and grocery shops selling Italian and continental produce – and by the large Italian mission church run by the Scalabrini Fathers order. From 1954 to 2008 Bedford had its own Italian vice-consulate.

At one time in the 1960s, Bedford was said to have the highest immigrant population by percentage of any town in Britain (including places like Bradford) - though maybe that no longer applies. The local newspaper ran articles and advertisements in Italian and there were even warning signs in Italian (only) on railway crossings near the brickworks.

Seldomfitforpurpose
26th Nov 2013, 20:58
So I was just wondering, do proper Pizza Hut resturants still exist, or are they just a delivery service?

Cant speak for Oz but they are alive and kicking here in UK as both restaurant and delivery service.

TBirdFrank
26th Nov 2013, 21:21
Nardini's in Largs - one wing - ice cream and fish n chips, other wing pizza and pasta - all ina delightful thirties art deco building

Welcome to Nardini's, Scotland's most famous Café Restaurant & Ice Cream Parlour (http://www.nardinis.co.uk/)

radeng
26th Nov 2013, 21:36
Sad to say, I've never had a pizza to compare with one I had in a little place in Milan with a superb thin crust......I wish I could remember where it was...

G-CPTN
26th Nov 2013, 21:37
Why did our Italian immigrants to the Glasgow area sell ice cream and fish & chips but not pizza?
Maybe because they came from a different part of Italy?

The pizza originated from Naples in the 1880s (or even earlier) apparently (though some say its origins lay in Greece).

We have Italian ice-cream makers in North-East England.

Union Jack
26th Nov 2013, 21:44
Sad to say, I've never had a pizza to compare with one I had in a little place in Milan with a superb thin crust......I wish I could remember where it was...

I certainly remember the one I had in Hermanus in the Western Cape, where my host told me that they made an excellent 4-skin pizza.:eek:

I was both surprised and relieved to discover that the 4 skins came from oranges, grapefruit, lemons and limes and the end result was absolutely delicious.:D

Jack

G-CPTN
26th Nov 2013, 22:02

I, too, enjoyed one of my most wonderful pizzas ever in a little bodega (is that allowable about an Italian cafe?) right next to the railway station in Milan.

I had become marooned in Rome by an ATC strike and took the final internal flight (all international flights had been stopped) as far north as I could then caught the overnight train to Geneva (?) so that I could continue my essential journey to Copenhagen (I had to catch a ferry to England for an important meeting).

I had a couple of hours to wait in Milan and decided to spend the time eating and found the closest restaurant outside the station.

Nervous SLF
26th Nov 2013, 22:24
Rotorua NZ has this place:-

Relish Cafe & Restaurant.

We are fully Licensed and have a range of good food at a reasonable price.
We are the only place in Central Rotorua who make Manuka Wood Fired Pizza.

G-CPTN
26th Nov 2013, 22:38
Another excellent pizza experience was in St Moritz.

I was working in Southern Germany and over the weekend I drove south and ended up in St Moritz where I found an inn in the square that served me the delicious pizza.

Some time later, I was again in Southern Germany, this time with my family, so I promised them pizza and drove to St Moritz, only to find the resort closed for the off-season.

Similar experience in Norway (though not involving pizza) took an impromptu trip (with the family) from Denmark only to find that all the accommodation places were closed for the off-season.
Ended-up as guests of a religious retreat for vegans (they were very accommodating I must admit and we were well-fed once the supply vehicle arrived the next day - nettle soup for evening meal but avocados and cashew-nuts for breakfast).

zarniwoop
26th Nov 2013, 23:00
The best pizza I had was on a ski trip to northern Italy while I was at college in the early 1980s, the restaurant was in a corner of the town square and normally got obscured by a large mound of snow which the owners had to burrow a tunnel through, one of those places you had to know was there.

Simple thin crust Italian style pizza cooked in a wood fired brick/stone oven with the kitchen visible from the dining area, not the soggy, overloaded offering that many people think of as pizza.

VFD
26th Nov 2013, 23:46
do proper Pizza Hut resturants still existThat depends on what you call proper.
Somewhere along the way Pizza Hut lost the plot. From what I can tell they have switched to frozen dough and ingredients to match effort of the high school help they hire to operate the restaurant. Nothing appears to be fresh or made in the store only assembled.

I live in an urban area and the Pizza Hut's have pretty much disappeared, although there is one close to me, I have never been in it nor ordered from it.

That being said they are in many small towns around my area (OK, KS, TX, AR) where I travel that have a franchise that appear to be locally owned. My experience is that they rank pretty poor at best. Pizza Hut and maybe another restaurant is the only choice short of something from a convenience store.

When I go for pizza I usually choose a local chain or establishment that uses fresh hand tossed dough and fresh ingredients, sometimes cooked in a wood fired oven.
Pizza needs just a little more character than a freezer and an easy bake oven can offer.

VFD

500N
26th Nov 2013, 23:55
"That depends on what you call proper.
Somewhere along the way Pizza Hut lost the plot. From what I can tell they have switched to frozen dough and ingredients to match effort of the high school help they hire to operate the restaurant. Nothing appears to be fresh or made in the store only assembled."

Pretty much sums up suburban Pizza hut here in Oz.

G-CPTN
27th Nov 2013, 00:02
There's something about watching the dough being kneaded by hand and then thrown and spun before it is 'loaded' with your choice of toppings then slid into the wood-fired oven on the wooden paddle and moved around to get the appropriate cooking (it beats the electric 'grill ovens' with the dough-balls pressed into tins).

meadowrun
27th Nov 2013, 03:58
There are several pizza take-aways in my neighbourhood all run by east Indians or Greeks. To get to a real sit down Italian pizza restaurant from here would be at least a six mile journey towards town which I would not do for pizza and they won't deliver that far. Pizza places are generally very far removed from real pizza worth its name.

cattletruck
27th Nov 2013, 04:50
The most delicious pizzas are the ones you make yourself, c'mon it's not that hard.

Ever wondered where all that factory cheese that is near its use-by date in the supermarket goes? Straight onto your home delivered pizza. According to one operator I know there is even a black market on cheese (or should that be yellow market).

Hydromet
27th Nov 2013, 05:51
We're fortunate to have two pizza places run by Italians nearby. They make quite different pizzas, but both are excellent, especially with a bottle of red.:ok:

beaufort1
27th Nov 2013, 08:28
The best pizza I've had has been in France, especially the 'fruit de mer' variety. Lots of Italian restaurants in Brittany.:ok:

SOPS
27th Nov 2013, 10:23
Ah...the plot thickens. This thing about Pizza Hut using frozen dough, and not throwing the dough is probably the reason I went off them.

SawMan
27th Nov 2013, 11:55
Pizza Huts abound in the major US cities, but they are hardly worth eating at, much the same as all the other pizza chain stores here. Better pizza is available almost everywhere and worth looking for.

If you have a layover at GSP, check out Moretti's in Mauldin for a NW style pie- the best in our area!

500N
27th Nov 2013, 15:13
"Ever wondered where all that factory cheese that is near its use-by date in the supermarket goes? Straight onto your home delivered pizza. According to one operator I know there is even a black market on cheese (or should that be yellow market)."

Ever wondered what is in Hot dogs, chicken nuggets etc ................

The same applies to the majority of processed food.

SMT Member
27th Nov 2013, 18:02
Think most can agree that chain 'restaurants' generally offers poor to mediocre quality, sometimes at reasonable prices. It is not the place to go for culinary experiences, merely a quick and easy way to inhale lots of laden calories.

Best pizza I ever had was in Naples, not that far off Pompeji actually. But pizza preference is a matter of taste; I prefer the traditional Italian variety, some prefer a thick Chicago or thin Turkish version, some even take theirs with Kebab and salad. Or the Mexican way, with loads of chili and jalapeños. Whatever floats your boat, as long as it's from a local outlet with no chain affiliation, you stand a good chance of getting something to your liking that ain't total crap.

Forgot to add, there was actually a half-decent PH near my old haunts in Diegem (BRU). Pizza was the usual industrial crap, but the salad bar and the wings were really good.

500N
27th Nov 2013, 18:04
I've noticed in the last few years that the standard of pizzas in Aus
varies a lot more than it use to.

I tried a Pizza from a place the other day, pastry tasted like Cardboard !!!

Pappa Smurf
27th Nov 2013, 21:04
The competition has now made them like cardboard.
They are all cheap unless you want all the stuff added that used to be on them.
Just find a privately owned shop,and although over twice the price,they are great.
The wood fired Pizza,s are more again,but taste even better.

Fliegenmong
28th Nov 2013, 09:51
I remember the 'Pizza Hut' restaurants always had that same 'architecture' that raised centre roof section....one is derelict on a side road by the highway heading south out of Brisbane, you can see it from the M1 motorway...near the 'Hyperdome' (?) ...... I remember seeing it was an 'Adult shop' for a while before it sitting there now, derelict, the distinctive Pizza Hut roof shape giving it away!

Whenever I pass it I think to myself 'Wonder how many kids birthdays were held there, and what did those kids go on to do.....there must be hundreds of photos of "'lil Katies 12th", or "David's 15th" Birthday from inside that place, and those photos are likely in albums in drawers in houses around that area....or moved elsewhere interstate or overseas..........then at some point in time it became a Pizza Hut shaped 'Adult store':\..........and later a Pizza Hut shaped derelict building on a service road in Logan :yuk:

We are fortunate to have an excellent Italian restaurant a short stroll across the park from here....:) ......several Vinos later and no cab required!! :D