PDA

View Full Version : Cockpit video of RNP approach into Queenstown

Mimpe
26th Nov 2013, 11:04
No Room For Error: Pilot and Innovator Steve Fulton Talks about the ?Alarm and Frustration? That Gave Birth to a Revolution in Aircraft Navigation | GE Reports (http://www.gereports.com/fulton-queenstown-rnp/)

This is a compelling video from GE ( sped up so don't freak at the seeming 350 knot approach speed!) of an RNP approach through a low cloud base into Queenstown.

There is also a great description of the origins of the RNP system by the pilot who originated the concept.

ps Ive lifted this thread as suggested by one poster from the destination section and into the Australian/NZ corner of PPRUNE

Buttscratcher
26th Nov 2013, 11:23
Nice ..... You call them RNP approaches?
We have different terms (ICAO is so ....well, not)
Great vid, man

Capn Bloggs
26th Nov 2013, 11:39
What is it with these Youtube videos?? First 2 minutes WOFTAM.

That said, diving into the cloud pointing straight at that hill was scary and very impressive, although I could have got in through that hole on the left in my steam-driven machine no probs. :ok:

Dangly Bits
26th Nov 2013, 12:30
Pucker Factor 95, dropping down into that!

underfire
26th Nov 2013, 21:47
the plate from the video...

(check the FAF location!)

Edit: just for you Bloggs, the video begins at the first waypoint of the procedure...

http://files.gereports.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/WhyWeFlyPDF_Big.jpg

belowMDA
27th Nov 2013, 01:34
Underfire that isn't the plate from the video. The approach being flown is the second or third generation approach that was develloped. The plate pictured was the very first.

I've a few videos like this myself, some better I reckon, but I'm not brave/stupid enough to post them on the interweb!

waren9
27th Nov 2013, 01:52
er, got a few meself, but i shant be putting mine up either!

Capt Fathom
27th Nov 2013, 02:01
Having kuhunas the size of cricket balls would not be out of place! :uhoh:

Wizofoz
27th Nov 2013, 04:45
The fact that there's a 900' difference in minima between RNP 0.3 and RNP 0.15 tells you this a pretty special approach!!

compressor stall
27th Nov 2013, 07:30
er, got a few meself, but i shant be putting mine up either!

Likewise, have a few hours of cockpit video of awesome places and conditions few pilots will ever see. The videos don't leave my iPad.

I won't share them online as some pr!ck will try and find fault with them and tell the world.

A shame really.

Rbwoonton
27th Nov 2013, 08:44
Thats a shame that you guy's cant trust people with these videos. What I would do to see them!!

Watching that video gave me goosebumps and hopefully one day I might be flying one of these approaches!!

Pure awesome I reckon.

Sigh.

Capt Fathom
27th Nov 2013, 08:53
You use to post lots of photos Stallie! What happened?

compressor stall
27th Nov 2013, 09:05
Still got lots of photos... about 10,000 from that way at last count :ooh:

Actually going through them now to find some for the office walls.

Won't post videos though.

HappyBandit
27th Nov 2013, 10:17
Yeah unfortunately a guy from my work was given marching orders a little while back once management got word of it.

On a slightly off track note is Jetconnect likely to fly into Queenstown again?

geeup
27th Nov 2013, 10:29
Regardless its a good movie well done :ok:

waren9
27th Nov 2013, 11:06
Watching that video gave me goosebumps and hopefully one day I might be flying one of these approaches!!

only a matter of time mate. its the way of the future

Capn Bloggs
27th Nov 2013, 12:20
hopefully one day I might be flying one of these approaches!!

Choose your words better, Woonton, you'll be sitting there watching it do it. ;) :}

Ozgrade3
27th Nov 2013, 13:41
Please excuse a question from a simple VOR/NDB guy.

Why do the RNP approaches take you over high terrain, rather, if coming from the north, go straight down the middle of the north/south valley then a 90 deg left turn to had down the east/west valley which seems to be an 11 mile long straight shot at the threshold.....well near enough.

I just don't get the track on the RNP appraoach that takes you over the high terrain on the western side of the valley then a descending orbit much closer in just prior to final.

underfire
27th Nov 2013, 15:49
The approach being flown is the second or third generation approach that was develloped. The plate pictured was the very first.

its pretty close...jeeez..its just a nice chart!

Ozgrade, if you look to the north of that valley, you will notice even higher terrain...

WizofOz: Its called when you put the tower 200m from RW centerline....and the missed goes all to hell on you...

Rbwoonton
27th Nov 2013, 16:36
Sorry Capn, monitor it I mean :P

I can't wait to get in any seat tbh

underfire
27th Nov 2013, 19:13
You still have to fly the damn thing...
It's best to actually understand how the avionics works, that will put you quite a bit ahead of many.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2gvj2ag.jpg

34R
28th Nov 2013, 10:34
Just wonderful.

Loved it.

Troo believer
2nd Dec 2013, 06:36
You can thank Qantas tech pilots for the foresight in developing this technology for our region. The first airline outside the USA and the third in the world to fly RNP approaches, the first being Alaskan Airlines. It revolutionised the navigation path to the minima and made it far safer and more economic for airlines to adopt. Its a shame Casa wrote their own for Australia and due to the multi variant design limitations all minima were raised a couple of hundred feet.

topdrop
2nd Dec 2013, 11:43
Westjet is Canadian and I believe they were flying RNP before Qantas. 2004 or 05 from memory.

Jack Ranga
2nd Dec 2013, 12:05
He said in this region

topdrop
2nd Dec 2013, 22:15
He said the first airline outside the USA.

Jack Ranga
3rd Dec 2013, 01:49
Yep, he said that too :ok:

ASX200
6th Dec 2013, 11:33
What about RNP into KTM does anybody do them.