PDA

View Full Version : "Contains upsetting scenes"

vulcanised
23rd Nov 2013, 15:28
I've watched many programmes with that warning and rarely been the slightest bit bothered, but this one finally caught me last night and I couldn't watch much past the point where the bastards took the young Orca from it's mother.

Maybe it's just me?

BBC iPlayer - Storyville: 2013-2014: Blackfish - The Whale that Killed (http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b03j49l6/Storyville_20132014_Blackfish_The_Whale_that_Killed/)

Fliegenmong
24th Nov 2013, 01:29
Been discussed here before V., yes I found it very distressing.....they are an awesome animal (and I don't consider myself to be an animal person!)

Here is some of their awesome power playing with a baby seal, how much power to throw a seal that far!

Killer Whales Toy with Sea Lion Pup - YouTube

"Contains upsetting scene"...if you're a baby seal!

onetrack
24th Nov 2013, 01:53
You have to smack those seals around a bit, to soften them up. They're too chewy otherwise! :)

Vulcanised - Well, you can't say you weren't warned, can you! And you still proceeded to press that button!? :rolleyes:

Nature is savage, nothing surer than that. The scenes showing the big cats pouncing on prey and always grabbing them by the throat or neck, makes my eyeballs go from half-closed to fully open.

If the big cat pounces on, say, the likes of a buffalo or zebra, and they can't get in a good neck-crushing bite - they grab them by the throat and just hang on until they suffocate.
Meantimes, the buff or zebra is bellowing or braying in terror and agony as they go down. Gritty stuff.

er340790
24th Nov 2013, 01:57
Generally, the only scenes that upset me seem to involve Hillary Clinton.

(Is this normal?) :confused:

mikedreamer787
24th Nov 2013, 08:11
Fliegs I don't think the whales were toying with
that baby seal - he probably pissed them off so
much they were just trying to get rid of the little
shit.

Fliegenmong
24th Nov 2013, 09:18
Mike, they are not fish, they are intelligent mammals.....

They knew what they were doing.......they may have been teaching the young, they may just have been playing with their food.....these Orcas are not stupid at the end of the day...they are a toothed whale, just as a dolphin is...

They are top line predators capable of killing a great white shark, simply to dine on its liver (Great white shark pate anyone?) Yet not a single recorded human fatality in the wild.....there is something about this animal species...

Tankertrashnav
24th Nov 2013, 09:33
onetrack - I saw my cat go for a rat almost as big as itself once. Thought the cat was in for a long scrap, but it did that bite on the neck thing and the rat was dead in seconds. Fascinating to watch - and I wasn't in the least bit upset about the rat!

The cat then completely lost interest - it certainly wasn't going to eat a nasty, dirty rat - far too fastidious for that!

Worrals in the wilds
24th Nov 2013, 10:26
The only savage animals portrayed in the film (and I think the 'bastards' that vulcanised refers to) were the humans that weren't hungry and looking for food, but simply hunting the big dollars so they could stick cetaceans in prisons and starve them until they did tricks for paying bogans. All in the name of marine awareness, of course; it's all about 'science.' :ugh:

And we have the gall to accuse sharks of being nasty. :ooh:

Go watch it...interesting film.
Blackfish Official Film Site (http://blackfishmovie.com/)

onetrack
24th Nov 2013, 13:02
er340790 - Hey - are you saying, that even a simple scene of Hilary giving an impromptu speech - such as this one? - upsets you?? :E

http://i41.tinypic.com/2rhppae.jpg

airship
24th Nov 2013, 13:26
vulcanised, your BBC iPlayer link doesn't work for me (outside of the UK)...

Are you sure you're not confusing "upsetting scenes" with "upsetteeing scenes" (those scenes, generally in horror movies, which encourage one to seek refuge behind the sofa)...?!

PS. Please let me know when you next see an orca or any other wild creature shopping at your local supermarket instead of what they're obliged to do...?! Certainly, you or I buying one's pre-packaged meats at the supermarket is a lot less unsettling. Or ought to be... :confused:

Worrals in the wilds
24th Nov 2013, 22:27
Airship, unless I'm mistaken (and vulcanised can jump in and correct me if I am), he is refering to the scene where the human fishermen forcibly capture a baby Orca and take it away from its pod to sell to a marine amusement park.

It's not one of those 'orcas doing what orcas do' type scenes a la Attenborough; it's about humans kidnapping (for want of a better word) cetaceans so they can be forced to do tricks in front of paying audiences.

Actually if you haven't seen Blackfish yet then do; I think you'll find it interesting.

vulcanised
24th Nov 2013, 22:31
The programme description

Documentary which unravels the story of notorious performing whale Tilikum, who - unlike any orca in the wild - has taken the lives of several people while in captivity. So what exactly went wrong?
Shocking, never-before-seen footage and interviews with trainers and experts manifest the orca's extraordinary nature, the species' cruel treatment in captivity over the last four decades and the growing disillusionment of workers who were misled and endangered by the highly profitable sea-park industry.
This emotionally-wrenching, tautly-structured story challenges us to consider our relationship to nature and reveals how little we humans have learned from these highly intelligent and enormously sentient fellow mammals.

I was hoping to learn that the management of SeaWorld had been convicted over their treatment of the whales, but sadly it appears not.

Worrals in the wilds
24th Nov 2013, 22:40
I was hoping to learn that the management of SeaWorld had been convicted over their treatment of the whales, but sadly it appears not.Hopefully the court of public opinion will do that, though again I have my doubts.

In recent years our local Sea World (no relation to the US park) has moved away from featuring the dolphin show in their advertising to concentrate on their penguin, shark and polar bear exhibits. They still do dolphin shows (it's how they started in the 1960s) but their focus is certainly being directed towards the other animals.

My hope is that within the next decade they'll withdraw their dophin show completely, and if so then :ok: to them. They do a lot of good wrt rescuing marine animals (sharks and turtles as well as cetaceans) so I'd like to think they have the animals' best interests at heart.
Gold Coast Theme Parks | Gold Coast Attractions | Family Holidays | Sea World (http://seaworld.com.au/)
SWRRFI Rescues | Sea World Research and Rescue Foundation (http://seaworld.com.au/research-and-rescue/rescues.aspx)