PDA

View Full Version : Whatever happened to remanded in custody?

tony draper
23rd Nov 2013, 13:06
A couple arrested for keeping slaves for thirty years and are released after 24 hrs, on bail?,what the hell's going on?
:uhoh:

Lancelot37
23rd Nov 2013, 13:22
I won't say what's right and what's wrong, but innocent 'till proved guilty.
Points to consider when deciding Bail:-

Will the person abscond?
Will the person commit further offenses?

And it goes on!

vulcanised
23rd Nov 2013, 14:18
My thoughts entirely when I read about that.

There are many reported to have done a runner when on bail - I wonder what the percentages are?

rotornut
23rd Nov 2013, 16:13
Under our law there are 3 grounds for not granting bail and detaining an accused:

Primary ground: to ensure accused's attendance in court;

Secondary ground: to ensure accused does not commit a criminal offence;

Third ground: Public's perception of the gravity of the charges in relation to the accused.

Tankertrashnav
23rd Nov 2013, 16:19
I bet Mrs TTN 1,000 when this story broke and they were keeping schtum about about the couple who had been arrested, that they would turn out to be of Middle Eastern origin.

Now that it appears they are an Indian and a Tanzanian the wife is claiming her payout.

I'm offering a fiver on the grounds that I had a moral victory!

More seriously, on the day the story broke Eddie Mayer on the PM programme spent 10 minutes interviewing the charity worker every question he could think of about the three unfortunate women, but not once did he ask if there was any info on the couple who had been arrested. Had he been briefed not to, I wonder?

Effluent Man
23rd Nov 2013, 16:25
Surprised you need to ask.On the bet,I think you should weigh her out.

ShyTorque
23rd Nov 2013, 17:05
These miserable old ***s deserve at least thirty years in jug themselves for this.

But with regard to their age, obviously it's too late.

Victor Inox
24th Nov 2013, 09:49
Questions arising:

- how can you get bail if you are a foreigner with "immigration issues"?

- how can you obtain a council / housing association flat if you have immigration issues?

- how can you obtain a council / housing association flat for people who are not related to you?

- how much council tax did the five people living together pay, and if they did not pay it themselves, who paid it for them?

- following on from the last question: how much council tax is outstanding from these people?

- knowing the extent of vote rigging in South London wards: did these people in the flat benefit from any protection or even active help from any council members?

cattletruck
24th Nov 2013, 10:28
Here we have a boy molesting magistrate plead guilty and walk off without any fine or imprisonment.

The Boys? Club - HumanHeadline.com.au (http://www.humanheadline.com.au/hinch-says/the-boys--club)

An eye opener is the number of his colleagues that have run to his defense - normally they are meant to run away.

Pedophilia and it's network must be huge in Australia. So sad.

sitigeltfel
24th Nov 2013, 13:00
More seriously, on the day the story broke Eddie Mayer on the PM programme spent 10 minutes interviewing the charity worker every question he could think of about the three unfortunate women, but not once did he ask if there was any info on the couple who had been arrested. Had he been briefed not to, I wonder?

He would not need any briefing. BBC journos instinctively know when not to enquire about the background to certain stories. They are afraid of being accused of "reinforcing cultural and racial stereotypes". I.E., stating inconvenient truths.

tdracer
26th Nov 2013, 01:27
Until recently, in Washington state, by law they could not deny bail except for accused murders. No matter how violent the crime, if no one died the law said they couldn't deny bail.

That law was recently changed. It was changed after a violent felon, just released on bail against the objections of the DA, walked into a coffee shop and cold bloodily murdered four police that were taking a coffee break. :mad:

I guess it's better late than never, but try telling that to four grieving families :ugh:

Captivep
26th Nov 2013, 10:20
I'm sorry, I'm not sure what the "background" of the couple would add to the story...

You can bet your life that the BBC would also not have said that the accused couple were white british born either (had they been), so what's your point? You appear to be suggesting that their ethnicity/background is some prima facie proof of something...

Which is about as sensible as suggesting that all white Austrian men probably keep young girls in their cellar, based upon two recent high profile cases.

In any event, this case already appears to be way more complicated than the initial headlines suggested. Who knows, yet, whether there is actually a case to answer?

Shack37
26th Nov 2013, 11:14
Should be an interesting welcome home party from the neighbours.

G-CPTN
26th Nov 2013, 11:21
But these were communists (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-25084830) . . .

OneOffDave
26th Nov 2013, 15:57
As far as I'm aware they've not actually been charged yet, only arrested so they can't be remanded in custody. That will be why.

MG23
26th Nov 2013, 20:15
But these were communists (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-25084830) . . .

Bingo. Enslaving people is just part of communist culture, and no culture is better than any other, so they're doing nothing wrong.