View Full Version : Which anti spy ware????

magpienja
22nd Nov 2013, 22:01
Hi guys...I know some of your guys are well up on PC ins/outs I wonder if anybody could advice on this one for me,

I used to use the free edition of SuperAntispyWare...but of late I cant update it...my PC seems to freeze when I try...win XP and Mozilla Firefox as a browser,

I downloaded Malware Bytes a few nights ago...I'm wondering if they both do the same job and if the later is ok.

Nick.

sherburn2LA
22nd Nov 2013, 22:38
Using XP ?

Get yer tin hat on to be ready for the replies

onetrack
22nd Nov 2013, 22:45
Magpienja - If you want decent anti-spyware/malware protection, you have to pay for it. I use Emsisoft Online Armor - it costs a few dollars, but it does all it's supposed to do, and more - and I have never had a single problem since it was installed.
I'm using Windoze 7 and Chrome for a browser. You can try OA free for 30 days.

Tarq57
22nd Nov 2013, 23:15
MBAM is one of the best ones. Free version is a demand scanner, the paid version is resident.

Use the NoScript and Adblock Plus add-ons in Firefox and (unless you're a bit click-happy) you'll probably never have to actually scan/repair anything with it.

lomapaseo
22nd Nov 2013, 23:38
I hope it's OK add a topic expander on this (I hate to clutter up forums by starting threads that might get only 2 or 3 replies)

I had been using Ghostery for a year now on my various computers (Win Xp, Vista and Win 7)

It did a fair job of keeping PPrune clean enough to read and it was entertaining to see the box in the upper left corner of all the spyware that was being blocked. Also the feeling of security seening the Casper the Ghost icon riding along in the upper corner of my IE browsers.

Then a couple of months ago all was gone on all my computers. I tried reloading it but it only lasted for one browsing session than it was gone yet again.

What happened :{

Guest 112233
1st Dec 2013, 15:16
I have just re installed it (FF Ver 25 Ubuntu 12,04 64 Bit) lets see how things go. (Very easy to use - I installed it from ghostery add ons for FF).

CAT III

[Edit: Was it lost when FF went through one of its many upgrades]

lomapaseo
1st Dec 2013, 20:33
I have just re installed it (FF Ver 25 Ubuntu 12,04 64 Bit) lets see how things go. (Very easy to use - I installed it from ghostery add ons for FF).

CAT III

[Edit: Was it lost when FF went through one of its many upgrades]

Lost on all computers running FF, IE9 and Chrome

OS were XP, Vista and Win 7

I had read rumors about ghostery selling out to the ad merchants to mine the blocked data of the past to prevent their ads from being blocked in the future.

Certainly there must be enough knowledge on this board to confirm or refute my findings.

All I want is something that works on PPrune