PDA

View Full Version : Free Blu Ray player for Win 8 recommendation

vancouv
22nd Nov 2013, 18:13
As Windows 8 won't play DVDs for free, I was wondering if anyone can recommend a free player that can play DVD/Blu-Ray as my new laptop hasn't got anything already installed.

I'm talking about the software, not the hardware as I already have an external Blu-Ray drive. I've tried CyberLink PowerDVD 9 as that came with the drive, but it refuses to play them saying my graphics card isn't able to play HD content which is obviously rubbish, so I assume there is a compatibility problem with this earlier version.

I'm too mean to pay for anything. Any thoughts welcome.

Mike-Bracknell
22nd Nov 2013, 19:19
You won't find one. The creators have to license the CODECs, hence there's money involved for anyone creating one.

vancouv
23rd Nov 2013, 14:38
Interesting. So can someone recommend a player that is worth my hard earned cash?

dazdaz1
23rd Nov 2013, 15:49
Apart from my ms media player (w7) that came installed with my lappy. I have installed for dvd playback and downloaded files to play back, the VLC media player. This baby will play anything (check for updates from time to time) last update for me was 2011 plays mp4 vidio no probs.

Back to your op, This malarky comparing blue ray with standard dvd movies.....I have a standard dvd player and also a blue ray player. I wear glasses, can't see any difference in the resolution of blue ray v st dvd. Think this blue ray is a big con. Unless someone can disprove?

Daz

MG23
23rd Nov 2013, 16:19
Think this blue ray is a big con. Unless someone can disprove?

It has 4-5x the pixels as a DVD, but most people sit too far away from the TV to notice.

terrain safe
26th Nov 2013, 18:48
Look hereGiveaway of the Day - free licensed software daily. Today: DVDFab Media Player 2.2.0.0 - DVDFab Media Player is a Windows based media player software which is called "the world's leading Blu-ray Player Software" by ... (http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/) today.