PDA

View Full Version : Safari won't quit - Mac

Sunnyjohn
22nd Nov 2013, 17:10
I have Safari Version 7.0 (9537.71) running on OSX 10.9 and, since I upgraded to Mavericks, Safari will only quit using Force quit. I've tried a restart and trashing the Safari plist. This solves it temporarily but the problem comes back after a bit. On the Apple forums it does seem to be a problem for a few people which no-one can solve. I know it's not the end of the world and Safari is now very fast, which is why I use it. I'm now also using, following a recommendation on this forum, Iron, which I'm very pleased with. If I can't solve Safari, I'm minded to migrate to Iron.

Any ideas? Many thanks.

mixture
23rd Nov 2013, 03:16
Did you apply all software updates on your prior version prior to upgrading to Mavericks ? (Not sure if this is a necessity, just know that the one mac I've upgraded so far to Mavericks was completely updated prior and I've had no issues with Safari).

Have you tried repairing permissions ? (Applicatons -> Utilities -> Disk Utility -> Repair Permissions)

Have you checked if its a user profile issue ? (Create a new user in System Prefs, logout and login as the new user .... try Safari).

Sunnyjohn
23rd Nov 2013, 10:30
Thanks, Mixture. Yes, all up-to-date before downloading Mavericks and, yes, I did repair permissions. Now trying your third idea and have opened a new account and am now logged in to Pprune via Safari. I'll use this account for Pprune for a while and see what happens.

mixture
23rd Nov 2013, 13:45
If the third one works, then the potential solution would be to trash the safari preferences .... quit safari and either manually or via "defaults delete com.apple.Safari.plist". The latter probably being more preferable these days due to additional caching mechanisms in Mavericks.

(Obviously advisable to have a backup first .... :cool:)

Sunnyjohn
24th Nov 2013, 15:22
Well - so far, so good. It is quitting in its new home. It is, however, also quitting in its old home - albeit very slowly. I'll let it run for a bit and see how it goes. I did trash the Safari p.list. It did occur to me that the other alternative would be to reinstall it.

Sunnyjohn
27th Nov 2013, 10:57
Final update on this. Whichever of Mixture's suggestions was the one, something worked and Safari is now OK. Thank you, sir! However, since using Iron, I've found that it loads and quits quicker than Safari, and I've found a theme for it that makes it easier for me to read the toolbar, and is a lot brighter than dull old Safari. So, thanks to Mixture and to the person who recommended SRW Iron.