PDA

View Full Version : A picture is worth.........

vulcanised
22nd Nov 2013, 12:41
Absolutely bugger all in the case of many internet stories.

I find it annoying in many cases where I click on a link such as 'Police raid house' to find myself looking at a police car or an officer standing at a gate, neither of which are of interest, and have to scroll down to get any sort of nformation.

Same with fires and a picture of a fire engine on top, etc............:ugh:

mikedreamer787
22nd Nov 2013, 13:21
That's to cater for those who don't know what a
cop car looks like during a police raid and same
for building fires when a fire tender arrives.

I think journos stick these pics in as filler for their
story to make it look more visually impressive.

Tankertrashnav
22nd Nov 2013, 13:40
These pictures are usually library stock and are often only tenuously connected with the story.

A good one the other day on AOL was a picture of an impressive Hereford bull with a young bullock in a snowstorm with the caption "cows in the snow".

Doubt if the bull would have been best pleased!

MagnusP
22nd Nov 2013, 14:20
Just for a bit of balance, some stories are, of course, worth buggerall without pictures. I mean, what's the point of a pictureless story about some hollywood nymphette whose boobs fell out of her dress at an awards show?

Fair's fair.

rans6andrew
22nd Nov 2013, 14:43
it's just as bad on the TV. Why does every politcial story have to been presented by some poor idiot reporter standing outside the Houses of Parliament/Downing st/European Court etc in the wind and rain?

Barking!

Rans6.....

lomapaseo
22nd Nov 2013, 14:56
or; the early pictures of a plane prang du jour with a picture showing a completely different plane or operator that happened 2 years ago

Tankertrashnav
22nd Nov 2013, 15:36
it's just as bad on the TV. Why does every politcial story have to been presented by some poor idiot reporter standing outside the Houses of Parliament/Downing st/European Court etc in the wind and rain?

Even worse - Moscow, Red Square, January, some idiot from the BBC doing a piece to camera, bare-headed at minus 25 in a stiff breeze. Meanwhile Muscovites in cosy fur hats hurry by thinking "who's that fecking idiot over there without a hat on". Are reporters forbidden by law from wearing hats or are they terrified their carefully coiffed locks might get spoiled?

lomo - "prang du jour" :ok:

OFSO
22nd Nov 2013, 18:23
BBC TV News tonight had a sweeping view from a chopper flying over London: voice-over was "somewhere down there in that mass of streets three women were kept imprisoned for over thirty years...."

con-pilot
22nd Nov 2013, 20:42
or are they terrified their carefully coiffed locks might get spoiled?

I'm going with that one. :ok:

Hangar6
22nd Nov 2013, 20:51
Makes me think this trend of news of interest to anyone happens every second of the day, really news of note is about thirty mins in 24 hours, BUT the tv moguls need big budgets helicopters , company credit cards etc etc so some stiff has to be sent to sone place LIVE to report on the latest turgid piece of nothing from Bally go backwards,
I blame those yanks and their mad rush to let the west coast know what the east
Coast was doing, jayney mac who cares, bring back that black and white grid they had on the box when I was young, never moved but just sometimes if you stared at it for long enough it just shuddered a little and went a little darker......

Tankertrashnav
22nd Nov 2013, 22:08
or its just the garbage they have to read off the autocue that gives that impression.

Brilliant example of that on HIGNFY tonight, with the newsreader starting the news with "Good evening paedophiles", instead of "Good evening. Paedophiles...")

Krystal n chips
23rd Nov 2013, 05:32
" I'm undecided as to whether modern day TV presenters/reporters are completely feckless or its just the garbage they have to read off the autocue that gives that impression.
Its probably a bit of both

The days of reporting in a factual and calm manner have long since gone.

Today, the emphasis on the level of histrionics that can be introduced to promote, the erm, reporter / presenters "credibility", the greater the prominence over the minor detail of the report.

Basic acting skills, very basic in some if not all cases, are now clearly essential for such persons to appear on our screens whilst the viewing public watch in awe as their prowess is displayed....or go and make a cup of coffee, use the toilet or indeed any other suitable diversion until the gibbering is finished.

C4 News is the exception here however, as the reports are..,,,reports, all without any melodrama.

I do like the " nodding donkey" impression so many use just prior to commencing the yapping to camera....and getting their best profile shot in at the same time.

Sadly, the trend towards dramatic presentation of the routine is spreading.

Last Sunday's "Countryfile" on the BBC and the weather for the week ahead piece.....the lady presenter becoming "somewhat over emotive" as she informed us of....the first cold event of the year !....event now being a standard Met.Office term it seems for inclement weather....her erm, " somewhat uncontained rapture" at being able to tell us of the forthcoming frost / ice and a bit of snow....these conditions presumably having never happened before in the UK, in winter... was a delight to behold....if you like watching amateur dramatics that is.

In the event, so to speak, the weather was a decidedly non-event this week.

sitigeltfel
23rd Nov 2013, 05:44
Yesterday the BBC had Carol Kirkwood presenting the weather from beside the JFK memorial at Runnymede.

As well as being totally pointless, she was wrapped up in a winter coat which deprived us of a view of her warm front!

visibility3miles
23rd Nov 2013, 05:44
I hate news websites that force you to watch some vapid video rather than writing the same information in a few sentences.

I don't care how well dressed the announcer is nor how distraught the victim looks with a microphone shoved under their nose.

It's faster to read, plus I don't get stuck watching an irrelevant 20-second ad.

Lon More
23rd Nov 2013, 08:01
Many red faces in Washington due confusion (http://www.nbcnews.com/business/flying-faux-pas-airbus-airliner-lands-boeing-newspaper-ad-2D11632744). Or maybe a pointer to Boeing's future?