PDA

View Full Version : Heathrow University Technology College

Genghis the Engineer
22nd Nov 2013, 10:53
Firstly a disclaimer - this will sound very much like a sales pitch, but I have no relationship with the organisation in question.

I found myself invited at short notice yesterday to attend a launch event for Heathrow University Technology College - very very new, insofar as they don't seem to have finished building it yet and won't have any students for nearly a year.

I went prepared to be cynical, but was actually very very impressed. The basic model is a college for 14-18 year olds, providing a roughly 50:50 mix of classroom and practical experience, oriented around aviation. They're obviously aiming to a large extent at creating young people well fitted to, for example, enter apprenticeships, but also making sure they equip those it would suit, to go to university.

They've got BA and Virgin backing (a very rare occasion of those two agreeing on something), as well as the RAF, BAA, a good engineering university and an HE college - pretty much a full set in other words. My feeling also was that they've appointed pretty much a perfect principal to get it right: an ex-RAF aircraft technician, turned physics teacher, turned science educator: he impressed me. And a purpose built building, which looks very much like a dream apprentice training school.

The syllabus they showed looks remarkably what I remember as an RAE Farnborough apprentice back when Pontious was a Pilot. And that was a place that generated a few talented individuals (and me, but we won't go there). Apparently it will be non-selective, apart from some demonstrable interest in aviation - whether that's a mistake or not remains to be seen.

Website here: Heathrow Aviation Engineering - University Technical College (http://www.heathrow-utc.org/)

Their catchment is roughly an 8 mile radius of LHR, and their first intake is next September. My feeling is that there are a lot of people living and working around LHR (and I'd guess that covers a fair number of people on this forum) who could do far worse than point their sons and daughters in that general direction for a look. Everything tells me this is going to be something quite special.

faz1989
22nd Nov 2013, 16:19
Will it be Part147 approved?

Genghis the Engineer
22nd Nov 2013, 17:50
Doesn't look like it - it's a school, taking 14 year olds. Part 147 surely comes after leaving school, however good that schooling.

But you can always go and ask them.

emergency000
23rd Nov 2013, 09:06
Sounds a bit like Aviation High in Queensland, Oz.

Home (http://aviationhigh.eq.edu.au/wcms/)

Rigga
23rd Nov 2013, 14:44
So is new college taking over the old (and excuse the age of this title) Southhall College of Technology courses or has that all disappeared now? (I would imagine that SCoT is probably some sort of university now)

Other than that; this dedicated aviation college sounds like something the Europeans have had in place for at least 10-15 years - and it's a good job its here, now.

Genghis the Engineer
23rd Nov 2013, 19:27
I think SCoT is now Ealing Hammersmith and West London College? If so, it still does a raft of vocational and academic courses, but nothing aviation any more.

In this case, I think that it's been a re-invention of the wheel, taking advantage of some government initiatives to let them. Which shouldn't, in my opinion, take away from what looks like a really valuable initiative.

Rigga
23rd Nov 2013, 20:52
SCoT used to do the training, for a really large catchment area, for CAA A&C Licence courses.

In the mid 80's, when I did mine, I was sat with a BA Concorde pilot studying to maintain his Gypsy Moth or similar 'plane.

One of the trainers from there, Tony Wooldridge, later formed "Licence by Post" which is still going strong (as is he).

I travelled one night a week from Odiham for their course, even bypassing the Farnborough Tech Courses, and it's got me some good earnings since then.

I hope this new school/college can boast the same reputation of its pupils/students in future years.