PDA

View Full Version : By Royal Appointment

t'aint natural
10th May 2002, 18:11
Very nice to see the Queen flying in a helicopter again. For many years she held out against it, and I think her first helicopter trip was in the late 80s in Northern Ireland.
Today she turned up in Marlow to unveil a statue of Sir Steve Redgrave in an S76, reg G-BYOM. Registered to Starspeed, and was formerly G-IJCB.
Why wasn't she in one of her own? Anyone know? And who got to pole the 76 for the occasion?

Cyclic Hotline
10th May 2002, 18:46
Promise you'll pay more attention in future! :D

The full story. (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=20590)

t'aint natural
10th May 2002, 20:35
Oh. Duh. Ta.

w_ocker
11th May 2002, 00:10
:D G-BYOM... Bring Your Own Monarch? he hee

md 600 driver
11th May 2002, 09:03
G BYOM

Good Beth Your Own Majesty

steve :) :) :)

Capn Notarious
11th May 2002, 15:56
G BYOM Goodness Broken Your Own Machine :D

connavar
12th May 2002, 14:34
This macine used to be flown by a Male Captain and Female Co-pilot on a regular basis.

Thanks to malicious rumour (based on HARD fact of course) it acquired the Pseudonym

Bring Your Own Matress.

:p

swashplate
12th May 2002, 17:34
I seem to remember reading somewhere that a Royal Flight Whirlwind lost a rotor blade :eek: and crashed, sadly killing everyone on board? :(

Think this was about 1967, 2 pilots on training flight? :confused:

Happy to accept corrections, but if true, then maybe this is why HM is supposedly reluctant to fly on helos?

ShyTorque
12th May 2002, 20:15
Swash,

Goodness me no.

The reason was simply that they gave Her Majesty a WESSEX to fly in. She took one look and said "Excuse me!"

Apparently no-one ever told her that she didn't have to climb up all those steps after the pilots....:D

t'aint natural
12th May 2002, 21:02
I thought it might have something to do with having a husband and two sons in the racket. My wife dislikes helicopters intensely. Her sister says it's 'a woman's reaction to her husband's mistress.'

EESDL
14th May 2002, 11:44
I believe there are mad people amongst us:-)
.............HM preferred flying in Walter due to the fact that it was the only ac that HM could stand up in. That was one criteria that had to fall by the wayside when a replacement was required.

Old cynic
15th May 2002, 07:57
1931?? Hells Teeth how'd he do that? Yeovil more advanced than I thought!!.