View Full Version : Ops Jobs in HK

Kubus1
10th May 2002, 17:17
I m looking for some information on OPS positions with CX or Dragon in Hong Kong.
Do they only recruit local guys nowadays ( is the residency required or can the airline apply on your behalf?)??

Any comments and points of view will be appreciated.

thanks

shortly
11th May 2002, 03:07
Dear Kubus,
No they, either company, have no ethnicity policy on hiring for these types of positions. Whether local or expat terms would depend what you brought to the party. Most likely though would be the offer of local terms in my opinion. 10 000 workers exist quite happily here on local terms so you might want to investigate further. Good luck.

Kubus1
11th May 2002, 09:46
Would you happen to know any contact names and numbers?

And... with all the current Cathay issues, would that be a good move to consider a job with them??

shortly
11th May 2002, 17:40
Dear Kubus,
As a Ground Staff you will be quarantined from the crud going around at the moment. And to be quite frank it is nowhere as bad as the vitriolic posts around the place might make you think. I have been with the Company for quite a while now and I find it a very pleasant place to work. There is the issue of three month notice for no reason for termination (or pay in lieu) but that has been normal in other places I have worked anyway so it does not fuss me. Other than that and the usual bean counters involvement in everything it seems a great place to be. Hong Kong is not for everyone but I love it - a great city really busy and with heaps to do in your spare time. Schools have the same foibles as elsewhere and the cost of living is still high. Come and have a look and if you are married bring she who must be obeyed. I don't have the contacts you want handy at home but will try to get contacts for you at CX and KA.
good luck.

Kubus1
11th May 2002, 19:41
Thanks very much Shortly.
I m not scared of HK. I ve lived there before, Girlfriend was CX FA and I was involved in Yacht Sales there.
I know that The City of Life can get you down a bit some times, but most of the times its fine, if you can get used to noise and the heat.

I rather prefer that then the ever changing UK weather and growing taxes.

Do you think that the FAA Dispatcher License is of any use in HK?

I ll wait for your reply, would be great to have those contact details.

Cheers