PDA

View Full Version : Emirates 'to add A380 to Perth route'

flying.monkeyz
21st Nov 2013, 00:59
Emirates will deploy an A380 on its Dubai to Perth route in March, it has been reported.

The Gulf carrier is planning to replace one of the three-daily B777 aircraft that currently operates the route with a superjumbo.

It has slots approved and is set to introduce the A380 on March 1, according to thewest.com.au.

The service is scheduled to arrive in Perth at 1725, while the return flight will depart the city for Dubai at 2230.

Last week, it emerged that Emirates will add a second daily A380 onto its Dubai-Munich route from March.

Emirates 'to add A380 to Perth route' - Business Traveller (http://www.businesstraveller.com/news/emirates-to-add-a380-to-perth-route)

PER is A380 ready????

Led Zep
21st Nov 2013, 02:00
Hey, they've landed one here before. :}

Boomerang
21st Nov 2013, 02:37
We often get allocated stand off bays because we don't vacate the bays fast enough when terminating or between flights. I wonder if the A380 will stay on bay for 5 hours every day.

Ken Borough
21st Nov 2013, 03:38
Arrives 1735 local, departs 2205 local, daily in March. EK420/421

CAYNINE
21st Nov 2013, 04:53
Hey, they've landed one here before.

Yes LED,

But usually when some one is trying to die ex MEL or SYD!!!

donpizmeov
21st Nov 2013, 05:46
They have been waiting for the international terminal to be finished so the 380 fits. I believe EK are a bit embarrassed about sending pax to and from PER in a bumpy clapped out old aircraft so wanted something modern on the route ASAP.
:E

The don

ernestkgann
21st Nov 2013, 10:23
Let go mate, it doesn't really matter.

haughtney1
21st Nov 2013, 10:31
They have been waiting for the international terminal to be finished so the 380 fits. I believe EK are a bit embarrassed about sending pax to and from PER in a bumpy clapped out old aircraft so wanted something modern on the route ASAP.

The don

I thought we hadn't operated a 345 there for ages, at least all that frozen lamb, tuna, and other seafood will now fit in the 300ER's cavernous cargo holds. Will be fun when we do LHR-PER direct in the 777-8, whilst the dugong runs out of gas :E

21st Nov 2013, 10:42
Yes Dob you're probably right, but I guess they'll continue to use the 380 anyway until,the 777x arrives.:}

BuzzBox
21st Nov 2013, 11:19
They have been waiting for the international terminal to be finished so the 380 fits.

!!!!!!! I'm laughing so hard it hurts...

donpizmeov
21st Nov 2013, 12:26
Not a bad haul, although some are only close to the legal size. :E

Haughtney I think that may be Ernies outfit playing that gig. Although you could well get direct AKL. Now wouldn't that make you happy? Only a decade to wait to find out. Can't wait :E

The don

onetrack
21st Nov 2013, 13:42
I can't wait to watch the A380 land here in a gusty 50kt Easterly crosswind, as it screams down off the face of the Darling Range in Summer.
Going to make for some good video. How much does a GA cost in an A380?? Enough to make a bean counter weep, I'll wager. :ooh:

Capn Rex Havoc
21st Nov 2013, 14:21
onetrack-
You do know it gets windy in other places of the world right? I am sure the EK380 boys and girls have had heaps of experience and are more than capable of handling Perth's Easterlies. I know that most of them have flown to Perth on the 340 and the 380 is just as capable, if not more so.

onetrack
22nd Nov 2013, 01:13
Capn, I wasn't indicating that any A380 crew were possibly incompetent, or that they couldn't handle strong crosswinds.

What I'm saying is, that we often get some very strong and gusty Easterlies in Summer (and some particularly nasty Westerlies or South-Westerlies in Winter, too) - and that I've seen some very unstabilised approaches at YPPH that were very wisely turned into GA's as soon it was obvious that a stabilised approach wasn't possible.

What I am wondering is just how much pressure will be placed on A380 crew to avoid a GA in less-than-desirable conditions? - with a much larger aircraft and with a considerably higher cost structure - at an airport in a city noted as being the 3rd windiest city in the world? I'm just saying it could make for some "interesting" landings, as in the Narita A380 video.

Sue Ridgepipe
22nd Nov 2013, 02:11
What I am wondering is just how much pressure will be placed on A380 crew to avoid a GA in less-than-desirable conditions?
What?:ugh:

Watchdog
22nd Nov 2013, 02:52
One track....you've really no idea how a professional crew in a airline operate

onetrack
22nd Nov 2013, 03:18
I see. So .. no problems have ever been caused by pilots/crew being put under pressure to follow strict company rules, as regards cost savings - such as saving fuel? That's good to hear. :rolleyes:

Capn Rex Havoc
22nd Nov 2013, 03:44
One track- I am sure that no pressure gets put on the A380 crews to land at all costs.

No pilot I know says to himself - "I should go around now because I am way unstable but that will cost the company money so I shall land because that is what the company wants" :ugh:

Which costs more - A go around which burns a bit more kero, or bent metal on the tarmac?

Oldaircrew
22nd Nov 2013, 04:32
One track,

Try and land off an unstable approach at EK and it will be cold tea an soggy cookies in the office. Do it twice and you will be fired. It happened recently to a senior Fatbus captain. Unstable approaches are not tolerated at EK at all. From that point of view there is no commercial pressure at all.

SOPS
22nd Nov 2013, 05:56
One track.....you are so far off track it's unbelievable.

Icarus2001
22nd Nov 2013, 07:21
So .. no problems have ever been caused by pilots/crew being put under pressure to follow strict company rules, as regards cost savings - such as saving fuel? In the two main RPT operators I have worked for, the OM makes no mention of cost savings other than suggesting efficiency as a lowly fourth on a list of flight priorities, the other three being safety, passenger experince and schedule, or various words meaning that.

The only pressure I feel is to look after the people sitting behind me, thereby keeping my job. Anything else is accounting.

C441
22nd Nov 2013, 20:46
What I am wondering is just how much pressure will be placed on A380 crew to avoid a GA in less-than-desirable conditions?
...........None.

underfire
22nd Nov 2013, 21:37
What is the alt airport for Perth? :}

Capn Bloggs
23rd Nov 2013, 00:14
What is the alt airport for Perth?
Rottnest. Nicely aligned for both the seabreeze and those pesky Easterlies.

Now back to the US with ya and MYOB! :}

Transition Layer
23rd Nov 2013, 01:21
I believe an Emirates A380 safely negotiated the incredibly tricky and challenging Perth airport last night (medical diversion) :rolleyes:

haughtney1
23rd Nov 2013, 03:26
One track, all silliness aside, EK's fuel policy and its diversion policy is almost a carbon copy of EASA regs (with a couple of minor differences).
I can't speak for the 380 guys, but on the 777 we arrive at PER with sufficient fuel to get to our alternate, and if the weather is really Bad, that Alternate might well be ADL or MEL.
Into PER we are usually restricted by our landing weight.

haughtney1
23rd Nov 2013, 09:53
PM sent Buzzbox :ok:

Capn Bloggs
23rd Nov 2013, 09:59
We can't plan ... Port Hedland due to the lack of RFF.

Check ya NOTAMs! Cat 7 during business hours; callout might be the go after that? :ok:

underfire
24th Nov 2013, 16:08
Bloggs..you can :mad: Suppose you already forgot who designed the RNP procedures for Perth?

I already knew the alternates we look at for design, such as Learmonth, Port Hedland, Adelaide, and Melbourne.
You also have Kalgoorlie.

Still, good luck with the A380...

Whats another 3500km worth of fuel...