View Full Version : El AL / BA / Lufthansa sued for Price Fixing

racedo
20th Nov 2013, 21:57
El Al, British Airways, Lufthansa sued for price-fixing - Business Israel News | Haaretz (http://www.haaretz.com/business/1.558742)

El Al / BA and Lufthansa sued in Israeli court for price fixing on freight which goes back a few years.

Potential Damages approx £100-110 M in total.

Court threw out an attempt to have the action cancelled.

PAXboy
20th Nov 2013, 23:55
Idiots. They never learn. In this day and age, this kind of activity is very much more difficult to conceal than 50 years ago. Men just don't read history. :rolleyes:

The top mgmt needed to tell their staff to NEVER fix prices with ANYONE at ANY time. They then repeat this every year and make it clear that any price fixing that is found will be on the personal heads of those who did it. Job done.

The very fact that it happened indicates that the people who did it thought their bosses would think it good. A bit like the phone hacking by the newspapers. The staff did it because they thought it was the kind of action that would bring them credit. That is, they had a boss who wanted results at any price.

In this case, the price is going to be high.
Good.

davidjohnson6
21st Nov 2013, 00:33
In a large company, what managers write in emails (i.e. audit trail exists), and what managers say verbally (i.e. no audit trail) are often very different. More than once, I've been in training seminars where senior management have said "Remember to be real careful on those emails". If you don't like that your boss told you to do something naughty, do you really think his boss isn't in on the same game ? Nobody will die or have bodily injury, and with some careful emails to your boss, you can keep your backside out of court.

Still want to object ? Well, the department isn't meeting its targets from head office, so "we're keen to ensure everyone is a team player". You have a mortgage with kids to feed and the job market is lousy. Your lawyer friend tells you that the whistleblower protection law that the Govt has been talking about is in fact worthless in most scenarios. Your call...

Ex Cargo Clown
21st Nov 2013, 00:58
Paxboy you are speaking rubbish. If I see an AWB for another carrier why shouldn't I match it? Or do you want everything at IATA rates? It's only like having Tesco send in a rep to Sainsbury's to look at their prices., just common sense, not fixing.

racedo
21st Nov 2013, 08:26
Guys

This latest court action goes back to 2006 rather than current practice.