PDA

View Full Version : Boycott Italy for 1 week.

cattletruck
20th Nov 2013, 10:55
I picked up several bottles of red wine last week, one of which was an Italian wine of which the only English writing on the bottle was "dry red wine"

Mamma Mia! It had bubbles in it! :yuk:

Which sane European (except maybe the gay ones) put bubbles in their vino? :yuk:

Apparently it's called a sparkling red, WTF, was the vintage so crap that they p!ssed in the vat to improve the flavour? :yuk:

You couldn't taste the grape while drinking it, but could get a sense of it from the after taste it left behind. Down the kitchen sink it all went where it could do some good cleaning the pipes.

Apparently Australia and Moldova make similar sh!t too but have you seen their dress sense? Italy needs to be punished for doing this to the world.

toffeez
20th Nov 2013, 11:11
Was the cork not wired up?

Lon More
20th Nov 2013, 11:20
Lambrusco Rosso?
http://cmgtcontent.ahold.com.kpnis.nl/cmgtcontent/media//000707700/000/000707782_002_260266_160.png

Capetonian
20th Nov 2013, 11:28
Much as I love Italy and many things about it, their wine is crap. Koop Suid-Afrikaanse.

Andy_S
20th Nov 2013, 11:33
Much as I love Italy and many things about it, their wine is crap. Koop Suid-Afrikaanse.

Some of it is crap.

Some of it is very good indeed.

MagnusP
20th Nov 2013, 11:44
With Andy_S on this one. There are some sensational Italian wines out there. Lash out on a decent bottle of Brunello di Montalcino if red's your poison, or a good Gavi di Gavi if you prefer white.

Shack37
20th Nov 2013, 12:19
I recently had lunch at a place which had Italian wine on it's list.

One of them was a Prosecco Rosť described as bright, pinky, approachable, dry.

It went by the name "Follador"

Those of you who speak Spanish might enjoy it! (Giggle translator refers)

Fliegenmong
20th Nov 2013, 12:24
As Mrs Fliegenmong and I have often quipped....

"Never met a bubble I didn't like" :ok::ok::E

Must have been real paint stripper Cattletruck!! :eek:

Dan Dare
20th Nov 2013, 12:25
Follador :=

so rude!

Capetonian
20th Nov 2013, 12:40
There's a Portuguese wine called Curva.
It means 'whore' in Romanian and with variations in spelling in several other EE languages too.

Um... lifting...
20th Nov 2013, 12:44
One seldom goes wrong in Italy with wines beginning with the letter 'B'.

Many young wines throughout Europe come with a spot of effervescence. They're supposed to.

cattletruck
20th Nov 2013, 12:50

Like 'Boycott' :E

This one had something written in Italian about being a gaseous red, can't recall what exactly, it's in the bin now.

MagnusP
20th Nov 2013, 12:56

Such as Bianco? :E

Um... lifting...
20th Nov 2013, 13:15
Send all your Brunello, Barolo, & Barbaresco my way and don't worry your little heads on the topic.

I think you'll find that Bianco begins with the letter 'V', as in Vino Bianco.;)

Do people call you 'P'?

Ancient Mariner
20th Nov 2013, 13:29
My "wine cellars" probably contains 40-50% Italian wines, and one bottle of South African. Bought it for its name; Allesverloren. Who said South Africaans didn't have a sense of humour.
Per

Capetonian
20th Nov 2013, 13:47
Many South African wines rejoice in names that have wry meanings :
Nooitgedacht
Vergelegen
Rust en Vrede
Vergenoegd
Meerlust

... and they're all good.

G-CPTN
20th Nov 2013, 13:56
I drank some Italian red wine in Italy and liked it so much that I bought a crate (it was cheap) and returned with it to England.

Whether I had been tricked I never knew, but the wine was only drinkable as spritzer diluted 50/50 with sparkling mineral water or lemonade.

MagnusP
20th Nov 2013, 14:03
Do people call you 'P'?

Piss Artist, Plonker &c, so in a way, yes. :p

But you're right, many of the better Italian red wines do seem to start with the letter "B". I'm trying really hard to make my way through them . . .

Lightning Mate
20th Nov 2013, 14:04
Need to bone up on Italian wines cattletruck.

I cannot understand how you didn't know it was sparkling.

As a few people here have said, the Italians make some good stuff.

Limeygal
20th Nov 2013, 14:10
Some very disturbing news last week-there is a worldwide shortage of red. I am hoarding. Cannot take another apocalypse sober! :)

+1 for Brunello :ok:

er340790
20th Nov 2013, 14:16
No, no shortage. Some bright-spark MBAs were trying to short the market... they were comparing the likely 2015 demand to 2012 production. HOWEVER, 2013 production is notably higher than last year and 2014 onwards will be higher still. Apparently France is producing at least 30% below its previous maxima, so there is plenty of capacity available yet.

Barolo ~ has to be the best Italian wine beginning with B. Pricey though.

Capetonian
20th Nov 2013, 14:29
Some very disturbing news last week-there is a worldwide shortage of red
I've been touring the vineyards of the Western Cape for the last couple of weeks. I am willing (for the right price) to sell some of what I've purchased .........!

fitliker
20th Nov 2013, 14:48
"There is a shortage of shortages " the goon show

Ancient Mariner
20th Nov 2013, 14:50
Point the wine direction Norway, Capetonian, and I'll transfer the right price* to your bank account.
Per

*As I see it.

Limeygal
20th Nov 2013, 15:07
No, no shortage
Phew, that's a relief-I'll start on my stash tonight :ok:

main_dog
20th Nov 2013, 15:17
You do have to be careful as we do produce some plonk (as does every country), but to say we don't make good wine would be like saying we don't produce good food, cheeses, fashion, design, or beautiful cars and motorcycles... there's a lot wrong with my country, but wine-making, not one of them! ;)

Lightning Mate
20th Nov 2013, 15:26
would be like saying we don't produce good food, cheeses, fashion, design, or
beautiful cars and motorcycles...

Hear hear.......

Lon More
20th Nov 2013, 15:38
Which sane European (except maybe the gay ones)

Champagne was first made by an Englishman so you could be right :p

G-CPTN
20th Nov 2013, 15:40
Point the wine direction NorwayI though that Norwegians had to acquire their liquor from the State-run booze shops (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinmonopolet)?

(or is that just Sweden (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systembolaget)?)

I see that there are cases of Corruption (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vinmonopolet#Corruption_cases) on offer . . .

Who would have thought it?

Sweden (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Systembolaget#Corruption_controversy), too . . .

:eek:

Ancient Mariner
20th Nov 2013, 16:03
Yes, G-CPTN, we have and we do, but we may also import wine ourselves. Some hazzle involved, but doable.
What many people don't know is that Vinmonopolet is probably the cheapest place on earth to buy expensive wine. Reason is that they don't price to market value, but add one the same amount per unit.
The price of a Penfold Grange, I think 2008, was GBP 340 in Aussieland, but GBP 270 at the Vinmonopolet. I was happy either way, it was a gift. Plan to open it December 31.........some year.
Per

BenThere
20th Nov 2013, 16:16
Having lived in Napoli for what I think was the best year of my life, 2005, so far, I can categorically say that Italian wine is utterly fabulous. We would take our 5 litre glass jugs out to the local Agricola organica winery and fill them with robust Sangiovese and Montepulciano for a little over a euro/litre.

As none of the 9 pilots in our Lear Jet shop were making much money, those jugs of wine set on the coffee table at rotating houses while we discussed the problems of the world formed the entertainment basis of a very vibrant and exciting lifestyle, and at very low cost, which was important.

You can get as fancy as you want with Italian reds, but you'll never beat the value, relative quality, and enjoyment of the abundant red tables on offer.

cattletruck
21st Nov 2013, 03:36
I cannot understand how you didn't know it was sparkling.

I honestly never knew sparkling red even existed. Ita maka no sense to me.