PDA

View Full Version : HTC One

Lon More
19th Nov 2013, 23:06
Feel like a real plonker. I just put my HTC One in the washing machine.
Realised almost immediately but I'm afraid the damage is done. It was vibrating for a while, but that's stopped. Tried linking it to the PC but get an "unknown USB device" warning.
I can't find any way to open the case.
Any ideas?

Loose rivets
20th Nov 2013, 00:30
That's rotten luck. I fear the fact that it was powered up (vibrating indicates this since the battery is sealed) it may well be a deadun. The case has to come apart, and I would vac it with something like a ShopVac if you can do that saspo - even with the case still on, get round the buttons etc., you never know.

I just might be the vibration depleted the battery and saved the day, but that is really clutching at straws. Powering it up on a USB was a bad idea - but you don't want to know that.

Anyway, try detailed drying, vac-ing more than blowing with a dryer, which only makes moisture go in further.

Worth a try.

https://www.google.com/search?q=htc+one+opening+tool&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=KhKMUq-WNKTx2QXcxoGoAw&sqi=2&ved=0CEYQsAQ&biw=1920&bih=902

Lon More
20th Nov 2013, 06:44
Thanks LR.
Looking on the net at various sites, I reckon it's a gonner. I've tried some gentle heat (45C) in the oven and a long suck but looks like I'll need a replacement. :mad: From a few sites HTC seem particularly vulnerable to water damage to the extent that there is a built in tell-tale for dampness. No hope of guarantee then.
I've ordered the tool set, out of interest, Just looked, new TC One Max is +/- €700 here :{. On the bright side I might make something selling the dud on Fleabay.

BTW It was vibrating and flashed a couple of times when I took it out so guess it had powered up in the washer.

OFSO
20th Nov 2013, 09:17
It has to come apart - no, it doesn't. Some HTC's do (mine) and some don't. Dry it out carefully and slowly (in sunlight is ideal - if you have any - not the oven !) for a few days, then charge and retry it. I don't think it is saveable but like marriage, you have to give it a chance.

Pelikal
20th Nov 2013, 10:07
Lon, I'm not being funny with this question but did it go through the whole wash and rinse cycle? I used to off-shore dive with my land camera in an underwater housing. The general advice was that if the housing failed and the camera became immersed in sea water then immerse it ASAP in fresh water to rinse it of salt. Probably counter to the instinct of immediately drying it out.

I was only thinking that immersing it in fresh water may rid the unit of detergent and stop the keypad becoming gummed up or whatever. Admittedly somewhat irrelevant as the camera advice was to prevent corrosion of the mechanics. If the electrics are fried then I guess that's it.:sad:

Phalconphixer
20th Nov 2013, 12:01
HTC One... according to this (http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/HTC+One+Teardown/13494)it is openable but at great risk of damage. The reviewer in the link gives the HTC One only 1 mark out of 10 for servicing access.
According to a CNET review, HTC did not consider battery replacement as necessary.
700 Euros... As for the replacement cost the .es variant of that well known South American river has them on sale at prices starting from 459 Euros...
Not much help I'm afraid but you could save about 250 euros if you really have to replace the phone with like for like.
Being the eternal cynic, I would consider this to be a lesson well learned and I'd be looking at competitive products...!

OFSO
20th Nov 2013, 20:02
BTW Lon, let us know if you get it working again. No doubt the day will come when we'll also need the advice !

Incidently, Mrs OFSO says bury the phone in a heap of rice to dry it out.

Loose rivets
20th Nov 2013, 20:22
I you had your way, you'd put it into low Earth orbit and let it be vac'd and irradiated dry at the same time. ;)

I think if I had super camera, I'd want the underwater box to be pressurized with an inert gas. I wonder what the camera would think about that.

My g-son took his phone through the full cycle. Not wanting to tell anyone, he set about taking it to pieces and trying to effect a repair. Bless! Just what I would have done. Anyway, powering up really fried lots of micro circuitry, and even I, in my most manic overconfident mode, gave up on it.

dochealth
27th Nov 2013, 21:55
Slight thread drift...

Ever since changing from Samsung Galaxy 2 to HTC one callers are complaining my voice is muffled. Anyone else have this problem and/or ideas as to cause?

Thanks

exeng
28th Nov 2013, 00:18
I dropped an early smartphone (actually quite dumb) in a bucket of emulsion paint. Now that is really dumb.

I took washed it and took the back off, and battery out - there was a lot of paint inside. I washed it in water again (what a waste of paint).

I left it to dry for about 24 hours and hey presto it booted back to its previously dumb incarnation with no faults whatsoever.

Kind regards
Exeng