PDA

View Full Version : Children....We Should Learn From Them!

SASless
19th Nov 2013, 21:40
Every now and then you see something that finds that special place in your Heart that we all try to hide away.

This is one of them.

What a loss.

This 10-Year-Old Just Passed Away, But Her Legendary Message To Congress Lives On | Independent Journal Review (http://www.ijreview.com/2013/11/96008-every-congressional-member-listen-10-year-old-cancer-victim-fired/)

Cacophonix
20th Nov 2013, 00:42
Teach the children well ( with lyrics) - Crosby Stills - YouTube

Caco

airship
20th Nov 2013, 19:52
SASless, Gabriella comes across as a much more savvy 10 year old than I ever was at her age 42 years ago. Her words should mean a lot, resulting in important changes perhaps, but alas, I don't expect "our politicians" to take much account of them.

Gabriealla "left us" in late October 2013. I can't even begin to imagine what her own parents feel (my own experience is limited to pudicats, dogs, and my own elderly parents). And perhaps "somewhere out there" is a boy or young man, who was destined to one day marry Gabriella, except she is no longer amongst us anymore... :sad:

And the only concrete way that I've found to be able to reflect my empathy and solidarity etc. hitherto is to continue to pay (increasingly crippling) social security charges / income taxes here in France on 100% of my income. Nothing is hidden. And I sleep more easily perhaps. But other nightmares persist.

OFSO
20th Nov 2013, 20:50
This morning I went over to see our 15 year old godchild - well, he is almost a man now - I handed him his birthday card as it was today - he said thanks, opened it, saw the little present I'd put inside (of a financial nature) - put his arms round me and hugged me and pressed his cheek to mine. OK, that's far more usual between males in Latin countries than in the UK, but his expression of 'thanks' was so spontaneous and so natural and so unaffected....yup, we should learn from the kids. They are our future as well.....

airship
24th Nov 2013, 14:30
Dearest OFSO, a few months ago, you offered to invite me out for a meal next time you were here in s. France (with the proviso that I pay my own "wine bill"). My own birthday is next Thursday. And I can assure you of a very similar reaction: ...I handed him his birthday card as it was today - he said thanks, opened it, saw the little present I'd put inside (of a financial nature) - put his arms round me and hugged me and pressed his cheek to mine. OK, that's far more usual between males in Latin countries than in the UK, but his expression of 'thanks' was so spontaneous and so natural and so unaffected....yup, we should learn from the kids. They are our future as well..... I'm pretty much part of your present, unsure of the future though.

PS. How were you going to get in touch with me? Do you already have my mobile no. or will you contact me via a PM? ;)

rgbrock1
25th Nov 2013, 17:27
airship:

BTW: did you brand SASless and I crazy horses? Okay, I'm game.

QeH8s_RAuTI

500N
25th Nov 2013, 17:44
RGB

I have been looking for that song for ages on youtube ever since I heard it
on Sons of Anarchy. Thanks :ok:

rgbrock1
25th Nov 2013, 18:21
500N:

One of my many favorites by Mr. Young. That, and Cortez the Killer. (Which I'm actually listening to as I write this.)

6GDIkb5CDUY

Ozzy
26th Nov 2013, 02:04
I nursed my 3 year old daughter through 2 years of chemo for leukemia. And waited for an additional 3 years for the all clear. It was Hell, but she was a trooper and the docs said she would not have made it unless she had the fortitude that she had. It was more than I had I have to say. She is now a healthy 23 year old. And has the strength of an ox!

Ozzy

BenThere
26th Nov 2013, 03:13
Ozzy,

I have a good friend who went through the same thing with his son, now doing fine. I respect the ordeal both for the parent and the child. Happy trails!

TWT
26th Nov 2013, 04:06
gKWSDckFUiw

ShyTorque
26th Nov 2013, 08:13
Sasless, thanks for posting.

Good to see the vitriolic replies were removed by a moderator. The mentality of some sad people is astounding.

OFSO
26th Nov 2013, 18:29
Dear Airship
Sadly after this week I have no money left to buy you a birthday present. At the weekend (actually it must have started months ago) our kitchen waste pipe from the sink developed a fault. Water was going in but not coming out in the cellar sewage pipe. In between - constructed in the thickness of the walls of Chateau OFSO and totally inaccessable - is a brick tank (!) which acts as a fume trap.

Last night our drain expert - a splendid German chap nicknamed "El Crocodillo" - came up with his power borer and ran it from the cellar up 10 metres of piping. When he hit the blockage 200 litres of rancid kitchen waste water poured out of the inspection hole he'd cut in the pipe...which was right over his head.....he charged me 70 which by an amazing coincidence was what I intended to press into your palm on your birthday.
I swear this story is true.
Maybe next year.
OFSO

airship
27th Nov 2013, 14:17
OFSO, so sorry to hear of your plumbing problems. But that's what you get from trying to throw wads of cash down the kitchen sink (the toilet would have been better), when perhaps seeing your foreign (French?) neighbours being raided unexpectedly and then fearing the worst...?! :E

Maybe next year. Or perhaps meaning "maybe next time, boy":

For A Few Dollars More Ending - YouTube

"I thought I was having a problem with my countin'. 70?! You sure that you didn't forget a few zeroes afterwards OFSO...? Whatever, it's no problem, next time you're in s. France, drop me a PM a few days in advance. And I'll invite you for lunch / dinner (wine included), my treat, old man...?!" :ok:

But going back to the original thread, Gabriella's "Words Of Wisdom" have so far attracted far fewer views than even an average "cute-cat" video:

Gabriella's Words of Wisdom: "If You Could Have Three Wishes" plus a Poem with Tattoo Tom Mitchell - YouTube

There are several more (watch until the end, when YouTube will propose more of them, or else:

thetruth365film (http://www.youtube.com/user/thetruth365film?feature=watch)

Gabriella reminds me very much of my own "Quitaime" who was similarly afflicted with, in her case, a tumour in the brain. I should have noticed her slightly "lazy eye" much earlier perhaps when she was in fine form. But "Quitaime" was "only" a pudicat and this thread is not about her.