PDA

View Full Version : Advice Please - Aircraft Maintainence

Old n Airborne
19th Nov 2013, 09:26
I am a 40 yr old Graduate of Engineering well that's what my degree says anyway, i also have City & Guilds Craft certs up to level 3. I have been working in Electronics Manufacturing for over 18 years now building various military and civil avionics/systems from nav systems to cruise missiles, so i still have security clearances. I also have 48 hours flying time logged.

What I want to do is change career direction and i know i have to start at the bottom of the pile as an unlicensed engineer/mechanic. Does anyone know how i get on the first step of the ladder? I live in the London area.

Any help/advice/direction would be appreciated.

Capot
19th Nov 2013, 09:48
A quick thought flashed through my mind when I read that; if I were you, I would email a CV (brief, factual and comprehensive, forget the "I'm a great team player stuff) to AEM, whose Head Office is at STN.

As well as any other company with the same kind of scope. AEM has 2 Part 145 approvals, which is where you need to be, and they are nice people, AFAIK. There's a list of Part 145 approvals, showing their scope, on the CAA website.

If you research their website (and approvals, hint) you can write a short paragraph matching your skills and experience to their requirements.

And you could explain your objectives and reason for applying. They want to know that if you progress with their help, you'll be a valuable licensed asset to them, not someone else.

Sorry, if the above is teaching Granny to suck eggs!

Old n Airborne
19th Nov 2013, 10:45
Not at all, thanks for the advice. I will polish my CV tonight and send it too them after eh research you suggested. Cheers!

Capot
19th Nov 2013, 14:28
Don't forget, there's lots of other possibilities in and around London.A good starting point is the CAA's list of Part 145 approval holders. (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/1204/20131101AandAPart145ApprovedOrgsList.pdf)

You'll need the list of codes for ratings used in that list; EASA being what it is that's buried deep in Regulation 2042/2003, as Appx IV to Annex I/Part M.

This is a link to the whole Regulation (http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CONSLEG:2003R2042:20120801:EN:PDF), p 68 is what you want. (The pages are not numbered, but the PDF reader provides a number. At least mine does!).

neilmck
19th Nov 2013, 19:31
Can't offer much in the way of career guidance, but have spent many years trying to get someone to use my experience to pass on some knowledge to a younger interested erk.
Contact me off forum for a general chat, or give me a contact on forum if it is permitted. I know quite a bit about aircraft avionics but have very poor computer skills.
NB I live about 25 miles North of Marble Arch, prepare to be bored !

Neilmck