View Full Version : A very strange fault on the Rivetess' mini lappy.

Loose rivets
18th Nov 2013, 14:58
It has a live mic, and periodically goes into feedback oscillation. Any sharp noise is repeated in the speaker about 1/4 of a second later.

Muting stops the process.

Acer with intel Atom. W7 Starter. Despite the reduced OS, it seems to have a vast number of processes running. It won't let me kill any processes with audio mentioned or I might have narrowed it down a bit.

Any ideas about software taking over the system? Skype has been shut down.

In other respects, it seems to work well and is still used for Skyping on a regular basis.

mixture
19th Nov 2013, 00:34
Has miss rivet dropped the laptop per chance at some point in recent history ? :E

Loose rivets
19th Nov 2013, 14:59
No, though she's apt to use it as a weapon if I make unreasonable requests.

I ran it late last night in safe mode. It didn't do it, so rebooted normally. It still didn't do it.:confused:

Typical electronics fault-finding: assume something else is wrong and it was coincidence. I doubt it's been fixed by that procedure.

Newforest2
19th Nov 2013, 15:04
Soluto - Free download and software reviews - CNET Download.com (http://download.cnet.com/Soluto/3000-18512_4-75446583.html)

I use this programme from Israel which will reduce your start up time. The initial analysis takes some time, so be patient.

Loose rivets
19th Nov 2013, 15:19
That looks interesting. Thanks.

Terry Dactil
26th Nov 2013, 21:47
That looks interesting. Thanks.
Don't go anywhere neat it!
It will install extra toolbars, news programs, and change your browser's search engine.
If you are computer literate enough to prevent it installing all the unwanted crap, then you are also smart enough to fix any problems by yourself.
There is a reason why it is free. :yuk: