PDA

View Full Version : Why will no one do NCL-DUB properly!

Go-arounder
10th May 2002, 13:02
Here we have a route shouting out for a decent operator to do it properly!! Newcastle has a large Irish community and I know of people regularly traveling as far as Manchester or Edinburgh for flights.
In the last ten years we've had EIN with FK50's twice a day average load factors in the 80's or 90's, toyed with three a day a couple of times and always took the third off because of other comitments.
EIN pull off both GIL and BRY/BA (then) take over, at last we have competition, loads took off last summer some months had over 10,000 pax and growing. GIL I think were wining because of the decent fares............BUT Sept 11th and the Bank of Scotland saw GIL off and BRY were left to them selves.

Still 3xDH8 (50seats)- not bad !

Now BA CityExpress will soon drop the number of seats by changing it to 4xJS41 (116 o/b seats against 150 with the DH8).
This is a route which already has on its qiuetest month just about more people traveling than the seats that will be available from MAY 27th!

Please will some one come and do it properly!!!

:(

LGW Vulture
10th May 2002, 13:46
I posted a thread yesterday about yields / regional airlines / lo-cost etc...

Isn't it obvious that the operator won't increase capacity until the increase in yield has hit its highest point.

If demand is there, up the price....don't add the seats!!!!!

Sensible economics........but I stress, should only be a short term measure!

---------------------------------------------------

.....If life were only Bizjets.........

heinzmanm
10th May 2002, 15:50
Perhaps it has to do with Ryanair @ Teesside. BA's fares from NCL-DUB are pretty high compared with Ryanair's from MME-DUB which may put new operators off. Just a possibility of course.

MarkD
10th May 2002, 18:06
Heinzmanm

fine [FR-Teeside] if you're from DUB, but those of us who fly from ORK, SNN etc. need an airline that actually has a DUB hub rather than an STN one! Especially now ORK-NCL direct is being dumped :(

Go-arounder
10th May 2002, 18:30
FR have been at MME for ages and with only one flight aday (apart from some planned middle of the night flights at weekends) have proved little competition.
GIL had the right attitude ........eventually!...........shame

Call it sched!
11th May 2002, 13:03
NCL-DUB loads are very inconsistent. Sometimes a/c is overbooked sometimes you can't see the pax for the empty seats! They are generally getting better all the time though and a downgrade to a J41 is bad news.
The J41's are ALLWAYS tech! Once the regular travellers realise that its only 50-50 that the flt will op they'll go elsewhere.
...and I hope none of them want to take bags!!

ST.CRISPIN
12th May 2002, 04:04
Have done the route myself an awful lot recently, especially since BA took over. always seems busy to me, yr only hope is to get one of the early morning ones ex ncl.
Have heard rumour that BE are thinking of starting this one up, so maybe we'll get bae 146 or CRJ!!???!!!
As regards to FR in MME, i for one would not waste my time or money going that far from NCl. You spend longer getting there then the flight itself, which is rather pointless, also it has never been that cheap, since FR has no competition on the route directly it's never included on any of their special offers. If you book last minute you pay over £120, with Ba you book last minute (night before) and you get @£90.
Had a dreadful experience in Mid april going to BHX from NCL with the petscreamer, 2 days on the trot ALL flights were cancelled, so it was back to the trains. (wheres the logic)
I hope BA warn the passengers, because i wouldn't fancy spending 6/8 hours in Dublin A terminal with a stag hangover on a sunday morning while the 'screamer is idling in NCL with a hissyfit.

Northwest 34
14th May 2002, 13:08
This looks like a job for ......Ryanairman

NW34

Call it sched!
18th May 2002, 22:58
The upcoming basing of 6 wetdreams in NCL could well be the best ever advert for G.N.E.R. !!

They'll certainly get lots of business out of it!!

nighthawk117
23rd May 2002, 21:10
a few quotes from Thomas Jaegers aviation news:

Aer Arann (RE/Dublin) is planning to start flights from Cork to Newcastle.

Air Wales (6G/Cardiff) is considering starting flights from Cardiff to
Newcastle

British European (BE/Exeter) is planning to start Newcastle-Dublin flights.

thought i would throw a few other NCL routes in while i was at it. Good news for newcastle :)