PDA

View Full Version : Noisy Aerodrome...

Startup
10th May 2002, 12:00
Has anyone seen the marvellously uninformed sight which is 'Flying in Kent'? This one man band is trying to shut down Headcorn (EGKH). The address is http://www.noisyaerodrome.co.uk/ .

The opening page is black, but if you are cunning you can discover some black text on the page, reproduced here for your convenience....

This site is dedicated to fighting unfair laws (Civil Aviation Act) that allow pilots of light aircraft to pollute the environment of their neighbours. It applies to parachute and aerobatic planes as well as other leisure planes e.g. Tiger Moths. Cessna's, Pipers etc.. Pleasure flying causes noise pollution and is a safety hazard to those in the vicinity of their aerodromes and airfields.

I could understand it if the chap's protest was well informed and took the form of sane arguments, but you have to see the site to believe it....

editor
11th May 2002, 21:27
Thank you for viewing our site.

"Flying in Kent" is not a one man band as you suggest. Nor is it our intention to close Headcorn Aerodrome (although no-one here would shed any tears over that!).

Our campaign is one that has been fought since the early seventies and has the support of the majority of local residents against the selfish minority flying interests that emanate from Headcorn Aerodrome. No problem with normal take off and landing activities - it is the concentrated aerobatic and parachuting activities that cause the problem.

Captain Stable
11th May 2002, 21:55
Without the income generated by those activities you to which you so vociferously object, Headcorn Aerodrome would not be a viable commercial enterprise. It would then close as an airfield.

Farming being what it is at present, the most likely fate of the airfield would then be as an industrial estate.

Parachutists, pilots and aviation enthusiasts would then lose out on their hobby. You would have far more noise pollution plus much heavier traffic through the area, making those roads much more congested and dangerous. End result - everybody loses.

Headcorn has had an airfield for nearly 80 years. If you don't want to hear aircraft, don't move near to an active airfield. Headcorn has also, for many years, been an extremely good facility for the local community, with land and buildings made available to local organisations, youth groups etc.

Headcorn is home DZ (Drop Zone) of most of the British national skydiving team. We take on (and do extremely well against) all the rest of the world at almost all sport skydiving disciplines. Where should they practice?

It has also provided training to many pilots over its history. Without home-grown pilots, our aviation industry is doomed to failure. What's your solution? You probably don't have one, except to move the training elsewhere, thus increasing someone else's local aerial activity.

"NIMBY" mean anything to you?

(Former EGKH PPL/Skydiver/FAI Judge/BPA Paradrop Pilot)

mutt
12th May 2002, 07:05
Editor,

Your site comments on the incessant drone of the Islander, can you tell us in DB’s just how noisy this aircraft is on takeoff and during the climb. How does this compare to a lawnmower or motorcycle?

As a community you are asking a lot from the airfield and operators, what do you plan to give them in return? Would you be willing to pay an increased local tax to finance a turbine Islander?

Cheers

Mutt.

sennadog
12th May 2002, 10:04
Editor,

try moving to the Crawley - Reigate - Dorking area if you want to complain about aircraft noise, there's plenty of activity for you to complain about here.........if you've a mind to that is.

Lou Scannon
12th May 2002, 10:27
Sennadog, don't suggest that idea to him. We already have our fair share of pratts who buy a house in the area and then realise there is an airport nearby. They then spend the rest of their lives blaming everyone but themselves for their stupidity.

Must rush-I'm trying to get the local motorway closed between 11pm and 0600am so that my canary can get a good nights sleep.

Empty Cruise
12th May 2002, 16:36
Editor,

Ever wonder how you got that house of yours so cheap? Or did the real estate broker "forget" to mention what your neighbours sounded like? Why he would only take you to see the house on a rainy afternoon?

Well, guess you know the answer to most of those questions. The lower ent on youyr house has more than compensated you for noise over the years. You site & post operates from a presumption that you have the right to move & live anywhere in the country - and have all the peace & quiet you like at the same time. Sorry pal - that's not how it works. I you lived in Central London, would you create a forum to ban all traffic from downtown??? Or moved to the Welsh coast and found you didn't like the sound of gulls? Perhaps a "Kill the birds"-group?

Not? Well, I then take it that we agree completely on the fact that moving certain places brings along certain things. Therefore: stop whining or move elsewhere. AD was there long before you were born and will be there long after you are gone. Your complaints are insignificant in the greater scheme of things - it's called "background noise"...

:rolleyes: :confused: :rolleyes:

HugMonster
12th May 2002, 17:45
The closure of Headcorn would be a great loss, not just to private aviation generally, but to the leisure industry as a whole, also to the local community - as has been pointed out, the owners allow all sorts of facilities there to be used by local community groups. It is part of the machine that keeps aviation in the country supplied with pilots.

Out that side of London there's not a lot of licensed airfields still open and usable. Manston, Lydd, Rochester. Where are people supposed to go?

So flying is a minority pursuit. So what? Is that an argument for its removal? It's only a minority of the total population who play golf, or tennis. If we are only going to cater for the majority, life in this country will be very boring indeed.

Even before I flew I used to enjoy watching the aircraft buzzing overhead on a Sunday afternoon (I was brought up close to Booker). The noise is not intrusive. Headcorn is not a busy airfield.

But you will always get NIMBYs who think that what they want is what everyone should want, and if they don't like something it has to be closed down.

Likewise, you will always get the fools who move to the vicinity of an airfield and then complain about the noise.

sennadog
12th May 2002, 21:43
Lou Scannon,

I bought a house in this area 5 years ago. I knew Gatwick was just down the road and now I'm going to petition all of the local residents to get the bloody place closed down. It's become very clear to me that the place is a focal point for pilots and flight crew to use in order that they can take off for sunnier climes so that they can enjoy themselves at my, the paying customer's expense.

The fact that it's very handy for a) business trips and b) holidays and c) the local economy has completely escaped me....

I like the idea of closing off the M25 though. That would be peaceful!

....Oops, I forgot that I need to use the M25 before 6.00 am on a regular basis.

;)

christep
13th May 2002, 06:31
If you look here:

http://www.aviation.dtlr.gov.uk/aed/headcorn.htm

you will see that there has already been a public-funded study into this issue which made a number of recommendations. It was about 6 years ago, so it would be interesting to know if any of the recoemmendations have been acted on. It certainly doesn't seem that relations between the aerodrome management and (some) local residents have been restored.

greatorex
13th May 2002, 09:03
Have you seen this?

Is Tim being serious, or is this a wind-up? - Click here! (http://www.noisyaerodrome.co.uk/reports/paraprob.html)

Is 'Tim' for real?

Doctor Cruces
13th May 2002, 15:08
Buy house near airport.....don't like planes or aeroplane noise....answer---should've bought somewhere else.

Sympathy factor ZERO

Doc C.

STATLER
13th May 2002, 15:50
I dont think this is an isolated case, these jobsworths seem to live around most U.K airfields. Being an instructor I have been on the recieving end of their irate rantings on the phone, it is some kind of disease they have and their lives become totally consumed by it (remember the case a couple of years ago when an instructor was up in court for alledgedly low flying,got off with it due to the wlidly differing evidence of the complainants).

Best bet EDITOR is F**k **f and live somewhere else because all your winging IMHO wont matter one bit to those enjoying theirselves at Headcorn. Where I instruct we take it in turns to answer the phone to people like yourself and all we do is give you a good listening to then p**s ourselves with laughter at your somewhat feeble complaints (which are like stuck records these days) when you have hung up.

REALLY REALLY sorry I cant give you any more help on this matter but you could try either your doctor or the sammaritans.

Readability5
14th May 2002, 14:00
I couldn't let this one go without comment!

I moved to Headcorn last year. I bought a house (at market rate according to the mortgage lender) which is on the edge of the village and therefore beneath the downwind leg. I can watch parachutists whilst gardening or relax in the evening with a beer and watch for free aerobat displays being practised which people in coming weeks will pay good money to see.

I can cycle to the airfield for what the editor believes to be my selfish pastime, but of course I respect the noise abatement routes the airfield have established in order to keep the NIMBY's happy.

There are far worse problems in Headcorn, for example the boy racers who tear through the village - that's for a different fora (and website) - but let's get things into perspective. There are many worse things going on.

What really amazes me is the way Mr Horrocks thinks he can post arrogant and inflammatory material thinking people don't know who he is. His website offers no right of reply, unless vetted by him, and was closed down after he appeared to support September 11 on the grounds that it would be a justifiable price to pay should it force airfields such as Headcorn to close. I never had the pleasure of meeting Chris Freeman, a former owner of the airfield, but find the obituary that appears on this web site highly offensive and believe the publishers can count themselves lucky that his family have not pursued the matter.

NIMBY is dead right, but thankfully most people treat this idiots rantings about parachutes not opening and carnage around Headcorn with the contempt they deserve. The village appreciate the efforts the airfield go to so that everyone can co-habit in peace, and I know for a fact that the instructors drill in the noise abatement procedures to all students. The majority of villagers also occassionally enjoy watching the planes and the parachutes - or they wouldn't have invited the parachute club to land on the school playing field at the May Fair two weeks ago.

HugMonster
14th May 2002, 21:42
Thanks for posting that, Readibility5.

It's nice to have a rather more rational and informed and less rabid reaction to Headcorn that that displayed by Mr. Horrocks (who as most people around the area know, is most definitely a one-man band).

Headcorn is a lovely village, a lovely area, and a lovely airfield. All the parts contribute to the whole. I can't imagine sitting outside the Bell at Smarden without waiting for the Airfield Mob to come in, being anywhere in the area, seeing the Islander "running in" and not watching for the canopy openings...

The previous poster had it right. If EGKH closed, the site would be turned into an industrial estate. No romance, no lazy Sunday Afternoons (thank you, The Small Faces), less rural atmosphere, lower house prices...

Horrocks, you're a fool. A selfish, unthinking, unimaginative, small-minded fool. Get your blinkers off and wake up.

WX Man
15th May 2002, 06:18
And let's not forget that Headcorn is on the main London-Folkestone railway line. So let's close that damn Channel Tunnel to stop all those noisy trains rumbling through (and whilst we're about it, let's close Folkstone, Dover and Ashford).

Sorry mate, not an iota of sympathy from me. You don't like it? MOVE SOMEWHERE QUIETER.

greatorex
15th May 2002, 09:29
Why not shut down Headcorn and build a nice QUIET nuclear power station on the site. That should shut this fellow up! :D :D :D :D

BRL
15th May 2002, 10:07
Headcorn has had an airfield for nearly 80 years. If you don't want to hear aircraft, don't move near to an active airfield.

Mr Horrocks
Can i just ask why you moved there.? Simple question really. Nothing nasty or sinister about it, i just wan't to know why you moved to an airfield knowing there are going to be aircraft all the time?

I also like when he replies to a letter, he states that the writer cannot spell YOU.(Spelt u) "never mind" he says, "at least he tried......" :D :D

Anyway, while i am here, i see there is going to be a fly-in soon for Harvards. Also going to have a half hour fly-by from an old Mk1 bac 1-11 (without hushkit of course...) and a number of early RAF aircraft, Bucc, lightning etc....... ;) See you there... :D:D :D

Standard Noise
15th May 2002, 14:41
It's nice to know I'm not the only one who thinks noise complainers should be horsewhipped!;)

I propose we all club together and rent 'orrible 'Orrocks a room in a house in Colnbrook or Wraysbury for a month - that might shut him up!:D :D

steamchicken
15th May 2002, 18:02
Either "editor" is a Troll or this fool is an even bigger fool than we imagined. They always say piranhas can eat a cow in seconds, but few ever get to see this. But the burst of flames that broke out after he jumped into the PPRune Pond was a sufficient simulation!

Sharjah Night Shift
15th May 2002, 18:53
When is the Fly in taking place?

greatorex
15th May 2002, 19:45
Sharjah, I think you'll find it was a joke, mate! ;)

BRL
15th May 2002, 22:53
:D :D :D :D

greatorex
15th May 2002, 23:53
:D :D :D :D Indeed Big L. That cheered me up no end! :) :D :) :D

Readability5
16th May 2002, 08:38
Not necessarily a fly in chaps, but Headcorn airfield is 75 years old this year and are celebrating with an Anniversary Ball on 31st August. If anybody does want to visit by air and park up for the night you've only got to call.

It's black tie and live music until 1am. Tickets are £39.50 or £370 for a table of ten.

That's about all I can remember - I've left the info at home - but if anybody wants more information feel free to email me or contact the airfield on 01622 891539.

Lou Scannon
16th May 2002, 13:07
There is one possible use for Headcorn should it ever be closed as an airport:

Channel Tunnel, ex military airfield, current Government policy: It doesn't need a genius to realise that it would go straight on the list of possible sites for an Asylum Centre for refugees.

Try that theory on your local Estate Agents!

jrs2-benson
16th May 2002, 15:27
Now Pilots (especially in the UK) have to demonstrate an ability to operate a specific type of flying machine constantly to very high standards to remain current for 4 weeks (PPL PA28). Now Mr/Mrs Smith who is 25, at war with the world passed his/her driving test 7 years ago and has had no in line training or monitoring since. He/She probably has the radio on with a ciggarette lit, with one hand on the wheel, having an argument with there partener/mobile phone!

Now one question.

Who has the situational awarness, procedural know-how and ability to deal with "the inexpected situation"?

I don't mean to be HARSH, but have'nt these people got something better to do, like campaining against drink driving etc.....................

steamchicken
17th May 2002, 15:59
Well, as there is an Anniversary Fly-in, has anyone got something REALLY NOISY up their sleeve? A Ju-87 Stuka complete with slipstream-activated siren sounds just the thing, but a little hard to obtain.

criticalmass
19th May 2002, 04:58
Bought a house near an airfield and didn't expect to hear aircraft noise? Well, "sympathy" is found in the dictionary, between "sh!t" and "syphillis".

Live with it or leave.

llamas
20th May 2002, 11:31
From an awfully long way away, but more than passing familiar with Headcorn - I would only add a quote from the novel "An Old Captivity", by Nevil Shute, in reference to complaints of aircraft noise -

" No-one would like to have them silenced more than the pilots . . . ."

llater,

llamas

Bob Brown
20th May 2002, 14:43
I have family that live close to Headcorn and I live in Crawley so I think I understand your problem. You are a whinger!
Those people that move to Crawley then complain about the aircraft noise are the ones that don't earn a living from it. They are the ones however, when the airport and the local economy are booming, who are over the moon when their house price has gone up by 25% in one year.
so Editor, make up your mind, shut up or ship out!

foghorn
21st May 2002, 08:40
The chemtrail board was a better read than this silly litle 'Flying in Kent' site - at least I could laugh at that pathetic bunch - I just feel sorry for this sad little man.

Lou Scannon
21st May 2002, 19:11
Perhaps we should all approach this problem from a different direction by joining one of the many "Close the airport down outfits".

The press would have a field day if they were told how things really were with these groups. Take LGW for example:

The agreement not to build a second runway for many years is a total confidence trick by the BAA. They have signed up with the local council n full knowledge that it will be a Government decision in which they will have little or no say. In truth a second runway will reduce noise and congestion in the local area but fail to increase the amount of traffic and revenue-hence the BAA's real reason in opposing it.

It would certainly shake up the local Napoleons if we had some objective pilots sitting alongside them!