PDA

View Full Version : Die hernieuwde Kaffir...

Cacophonix
15th Nov 2013, 01:42
Is it me or is Britain slowly sliding into 3rd world status...? Phones don't work, spivs talk and nothing else does (I mean look at Cameron and the war criminal Blair).

I currently run part of my business from home but the lack of British know how (allied to people called Gupta) is making me think I should relocate to Germany (not least because I like German marching music)...

Does Britain get your goat? Am I wrong Englanders?

PPRuNe, I ask you?

Rule Britannia, Britannia rule the waves... - YouTube

Caco

Cacophonix
15th Nov 2013, 01:51
I was speaking to an ex RAF pilot about radar (80s pedigree) and he laughed about the failure of British radar in the two conflicts that he fought in (an English invention basically)...

What the hell is going wrong with this country?

It wouldn't happen in Germany would it mate?

Deutschland über alles - German Anthem - YouTube

Caco

Cacophonix
15th Nov 2013, 03:13
Preußens Gloria (prussia glory march) - YouTube

Caco

500N
15th Nov 2013, 03:57
"I was speaking to an ex RAF pilot about radar (80s pedigree) and he laughed about the failure of British radar in the two conflicts that he fought in (an English invention basically)..."

Which conflicts were those ?

The Falklands ?

and

?????

Cacophonix
15th Nov 2013, 04:01
The Falklands

One of them...:ok:

Caco

500N
15th Nov 2013, 04:12
Caco

It helps if you turn it on and don't put a dirty great hill in the way :O

Second one, not sure on that.

I'll go Gulf War 1.

cavortingcheetah
15th Nov 2013, 05:36
Having spent much time in Germany, over the last five years I have bought only three major items manufactured in Britain for installation in that country.
The most expensive was a central heating system and geyser installation. The best available in Britain is primitive in design and function with that found in Germany. It's complex, inefficient and ugly and requires frequent reference to the instruction manual to fault find. It reminds me of Smetana.
Another was a complete double glazed window which was installed by the manufacturer. The double glazing itself allowed sufficient water to leak in so that you could press the bottom of the window frame and watch the water level rise in between the two pieces of glass. Comparison with even the cheapest off the shelf double glazed units at OBI is invidious.
The third was a cooker manufactured by a subsidiary of AGA. There were a couple of minor snags obvious enough once the cooker was first plugged in. The real killer though was that when you opened the oven door, the side panel of the cooker popped off.
Quality control in British manufacture, an anal eructation of an idea.
Backup in British manufactured products, a hard fought rearguard action.

Flap 5
15th Nov 2013, 07:00
I was speaking to an ex RAF pilot about radar (80s pedigree) and he laughed about the failure of British radar in the two conflicts that he fought in (an English invention basically)...

If the Falklands conflict was one of them then the RAF were involved only with the Vulcan and the Harrier. The Vulcan was 1950's technology and was on it's way to retirement even then and the RAF Harrier was quite old technology itself in 1982.

We haven't done much as a country since then but we have been trying to save the world ever since the 1980's haven't we? Every world problem since then we have been in there with the USA and anyone else who cared at the time. The latest being the typhoon in the Philippines - Britain is in there again with HMS Daring and Illustrious. Where are the rest of the world? And China? Apparently a minor spat over some islands has meant they are doing virtually nothing.

As the Labour minister said on leaving government we have no more money. It's about time we lived within our means and other countries did their bit.

bosnich71
15th Nov 2013, 07:04
Flap 5 .... U.K. keeps dropping hints that it is a s**t place to live in but still the world's masses keep on arriving, could that be part of the problem?

Flap 5
15th Nov 2013, 07:09
Flap 5 .... U.K. keeps dropping hints that it is a s**t place to live in but still the world's masses keep on arriving, could that be part of the problem?

AH! That is a whole new thread. But has already been done. :hmm:

Lon More
15th Nov 2013, 08:01
(an English invention basically)...

Er, no. Another Scottish one (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_inventions_and_discoveries)

Go North young man A pipe band's much better than a bunch of fat-arsed Huns,

Worrals in the wilds
15th Nov 2013, 09:01
Where are the rest of the world?We're there too :)! Only 2 aircraft and a ship, but we don't have all that many. :O
Australia increases typhoon aid package to Philippines to $30 million, as major logistical problems hamper relief efforts - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-11-14/logistical-problems-hamper-relief-efforts-typhoon-philippines/5090484)

It's about time we lived within our means and other countries did their bit.If we were talking about my country (which I realise we aren't :}) I'd agree with respect to wars. Personally I'm not usually a big fan of my country wading into other people's age-old punch ups. However, IMO providing aid after a massive natural disaster is a different matter. It's not like the Filipinos invited a massive typhoon to come and flatten the place, and if first world countries have ships and expert personnel who can mitigate some of the death and pestilence then that's for the greater good. Also, from a purely utilitarian POV it gives said personnel some practice.

Wholigan
15th Nov 2013, 09:08
Just slightly disingenuous.

Robertson Watt led an Air Ministry team that "invented" RADAR (although the principle had been proved many decades before this) He was also in charge of the Air Ministry team that developed Chain Home at Bawdsey.

Whatever .............. it was a damned good job.

B Fraser
15th Nov 2013, 09:14
an English invention basically

Cue lots of coughing and throat clearing from Jockistan. :*

And while we're on the subject, it was the application of the theories of James Clarke Maxwell as viwed on John Logie Baird's aparatus. Probably developed while eating marmalade sandwiches. :ok:

Lon More
15th Nov 2013, 09:22
Robertson Watt led an Air Ministry team that "invented" RADAR
Didn't Arthur C. Clarke write a book about it, specifically PAR?

pvmw
15th Nov 2013, 09:35
Robertson Watt led .......

Er, actually:-

Robert Watson-Watt

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Watson-Watt)

tony draper
15th Nov 2013, 10:07
Wasn't it the manufacture of a Cavity Magnetron that was not half the size of a house that was the big breakthrough in Wartime Radar?
:)

G&T ice n slice
15th Nov 2013, 10:38
Britains has been sliding towards 3rd world status for a while.
basic infrastructure is ignored, yet wonderous palaces for the upper echelons keep appearing and vast sums are spent on "prestigious" projects.

meanwhile the roads are potholed, we are running out of electrical generating capacity, we have to import gas & electricity, which is sold to us at extortionate prices by foreign-controlled tax-avoiding not-quite-but-very-nearly-cartels.

oh gawd I'm begining to sound like KnC

We at the National Social & Democratic Action Party are bringing together plans to address these issues (and more)

bosnich71
15th Nov 2013, 10:38
Tony Draper ...."invented" at Brum University I think.

Lon More
15th Nov 2013, 11:31
We at the National Social & Democratic Action Party are bringing together plans to address these issues

Generating plants powered by burning undesirables no doubt.

Worrals in the wilds
15th Nov 2013, 11:36
Generating plants powered by burning undesirables no doubt.
Aren't they a bit soggy? :uhoh:
Maybe better used as compost...:}

603DX
15th Nov 2013, 11:44
Oh dear, yet another thread for the apparently inexhaustible supply of Jeremiahs, Moaning Minnies and Doom Merchants to whinge, complain and grumble in.

I love this country, the land of my birth, despite its shortcomings, frustrations and less than perfect characteristics on occasions. Clearly, several of you do not, and I invite you to exercise your perfect right to go forth and multiply in other places on this globe we all occupy, and see whether you can find your Elysium elsewhere. You are wasting your time here with your attitudes, and I and other loyal Brits will be glad to see the back of you and your kind. :*

Lon More
15th Nov 2013, 11:51
603DX if you're referring to me it was a joke posted in response to what was obviously a humourous remark
Attributing everything good about the UK to the Engerlish® is an insult to the other members of the UK. What are the Engerlish® now known most for? At a guess football violence

Capetonian
15th Nov 2013, 12:05
I love this country, the land of my birth, despite its shortcomings, frustrations and less than perfect characteristics on occasions
A lot depends on where you are what you are doing. Having to commute into a major city every day and then work there would give a perception that the UK is hell.
Being able to stay in a pleasant hotel and walk ten minutes along a canal towpath or the Roman walls of beautiful mediaeval city gives a very different and infinitely more positive perception.

Doodlebug
15th Nov 2013, 12:31
Mag ons daardie woord nou weer aan tafel gebruik, Caco?!

Capetonian
15th Nov 2013, 12:37
The use of the word 'kaffir' in South Africa is an actionable offence.

603DX
15th Nov 2013, 12:56
Lon, of course I am not referring to you! My own shot at what the English are best known for would be our language, and our literature. Football violence is a curse worldwide.

Having to commute into a major city every day and then work there would give a perception that the UK is hell.

Maybe for you, Capetonian, but not for me. I chose to live in an "area of outstanding natural beauty" in Kent, and commuted daily into London for 36 years. I also love London, it's one of the world's most civilised cities, a cosmopolitan mixture of the sublime with the banal, the history of centuries embodied in the buildings, the streets, the parks, the theatres, museums, and the character of the teeming multitudes who occupy it. Dr Johnson's often quoted saying "The man who is tired of London is tired of life" is as true now as it ever was.

tony draper
15th Nov 2013, 13:04
:rolleyes:
Breathes there the man, with soul so dead,
Who never to himself hath said,
This is my own, my native land!
Whose heart hath ne'er within him burn'd,
As home his footsteps he hath turn'd,
From wandering on a foreign strand!
If such there breathe, go, mark him well;
For him no Minstrel raptures swell;
High though his titles, proud his name,
Boundless his wealth as wish can claim;
Despite those titles, power, and pelf,
The wretch, concentred all in self

Andy_S
15th Nov 2013, 13:15
What are the Engerlish® now known most for? At a guess football violence

Really??

Celtic fans clash with Dutch police before defeat by Ajax in Amsterdam | Football | theguardian.com (http://www.theguardian.com/football/2013/nov/06/celtic-fans-dutch-police-ajax-amsterdam)

Solid Rust Twotter
15th Nov 2013, 13:31
One likes the UK, just not the large cities, with that London being at the top of one's list of places to avoid.

Does get a bit small after a while, though. The horizon is rarely more than a couple of hundred yards away.

603DX
15th Nov 2013, 13:51
Breathes there the man, with soul so dead,
Who never to himself hath said,
This is my own, my native land!

That piece by Sir Walter Scott was inscribed on the wall of our scout hut Mr D. It inspired me then, and still does.

My job as a Civil Engineer took me to many "foreign strands", but I was always glad to get home again.

"Just not the large cities, with that London being at the top of one's list of places to avoid" obviously sums up your opinion, SRT. I believe that you are very familiar with Africa's wide open skies, and having worked there several times over the years I can understand what you are saying.

Wouldn't do, if we all thought the same about everything though, would it? ;)

Solid Rust Twotter
15th Nov 2013, 14:23
Quite so, Mr DX. One enjoyed village life during one's sojourn there. Dreaded going anywhere near that London. To add insult to injury, the price of a pint there is just bloody stupid...:}

MagnusP
15th Nov 2013, 14:27
SRT, drag yer sorry, saggy arse to the top of Suilven, and look west to Lochinver, or south to An Teallach or the beautiful Stac Pollaidh. Them's proper horizons. :ok:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f4/Suilven2.JPG/320px-Suilven2.JPG

Lon More
15th Nov 2013, 14:50
Andy you don't do irony do you?

Reports here in the Netherlands stated that the violence began after a group of Celtic supporters were attacked in a café in Amsterdam by a group wearing masks and chanting "Ajax Hooligans" It's possible these were Dynamo Zagreb supporters muddying the waters. Scottish fans use to have a good reputation abroad

Apologies 603 DX, I'm feeling a bit Nationalistic today.http://www.millan.net/minimations/smileys/flags/scotland2.gif

Magnus :ok:

603DX
15th Nov 2013, 15:07
Get away with you MagnusP, you can't fool me, that's a picture of the ominous twin peak of Isandlwana in S.A. - look, you can just see the Zulus coming round it, "farsands of 'em, sarge", heading for Rorke's Drift , Michael Caine and Stanley Baker ... :eek:

tony draper
15th Nov 2013, 15:25
Where they will meet a lot of The Short Chamber Boxer-Henry .45s coming tother way.
:rolleyes:
I'm a tad surprised it hasn't been remade by Hollywood featuring the US 7th Cavalry who's ship had to put in at Capetown for repairs so the chaps went for a ramble up to Roukes Drift and arrived just in time to save they Welshman.
:uhoh:

MagnusP
15th Nov 2013, 15:30
You've started on it early, 603DX. I'm jealous. :p

B Fraser
15th Nov 2013, 15:42
Andy_S

From the very same article that you mention.

Amsterdam Police said it expected the number of arrests to rise during the night and that a final figures would be "high". It is thought that fans from other European clubs were involved, although police said they "had kept themselves covered".
Celtic supporters had been urged by the club to be careful after an attack on Hoops supporters in a city-centre bar on Tuesday night.
Thousands of Celtic supporters flooded into Holland for the Group H game at the Amsterdam Arena.
A statement on the Celtic website said: "Celtic Football Club is urging all supporters in Amsterdam for tonight's Uefa Champions League (http://www.theguardian.com/football/championsleague) tie with Ajax to be extra vigilant following an unprovoked attack on Celtic fans last night
"The attack in the city centre by an element of the Ajax support resulted in a number of arrests.
"Celtic are urging all supporters to be extra vigilant in the city centre and at the Amsterdam Arena, and to only stick to the advised areas for safety reasons."
At the pre-match media conference on Tuesday afternoon, the Ajax coach Frank De Boer expressed hope that the tiny percentage of fans he described as "crazy" would not disrupt the game.
Uefa opened disciplinary proceedings against the Dutch club after some of their supporters clashed with police and stewards at Parkhead last month during a match which the home side won 2-1.
The case will be dealt with by UEFA's control and disciplinary panel on November 21.

Andy_S
15th Nov 2013, 16:13
Andy you don't do irony do you?

Actually Lon, I do it pretty well; your ‘Engerlishd’ comment was a bit of a giveaway in any case. Perhaps I should have used a couple of emoticons to make my intentions clearer. :ok:

I believe every word you say. The Dutch have some of the nastiest football fans out there – Ajax vs Feyenoord seemed to be as much about the aggro as the football, and Den Haag fans would happily fight amongst themselves if no one else was available.

airship
15th Nov 2013, 17:15
Wholigan (also a Mod here, I have some reason to remember) disingenuously ignores what Cacophonix actually wrote: ...but the lack of British know how (allied to people called Gupta) is making me think I should relocate to Germany (not least because I like German marching music)...

Unless I'm much mistaken, I understand that Cacophonix is putting forward his belief that any current lack of British know how is somehow due to a surplus of darker-skinned people probably originating from the Indian sub-continent by virtue of the name "Gupta" and populating the UK these days...?!

Please do correct me if I somehow completely misunderstood the original post and inadvertently stumbled on a usually (and hitherto) most secret JB thread for the eyes only of those who bend down on their knees before an image of someone who preferred small and cropped moustaches...?! :uhoh:

cavortingcheetah
15th Nov 2013, 18:41
A revolutionary counter suggestion might be that the lack of British know how is entirely a home grown affair while the communications, complaints and corrections side of such dismal consumer quality performance has been outsourced to a land far away. A land in the mysterious east from which nothing but death and destruction has ever come to the white man who complains that the dhobi has made his bed with dirty sheets.
Those from abroad who sojourn and work on British soil, tolerating the sometimes slightly difficult conditions and fickle work force, should be encouraged to remain, backbones of industry that they are. It does no credit to the much fabled Albionesque sense of fair play to send to the devil those who find the Anglo saxon slightly trying in his work ethic from time to time. Such an attitude is grotesque and serves only to illustrate how far a country which buys back its own gas from the French has fallen.

dbromle
15th Nov 2013, 18:59
Re the comments on British manufacturing, perhaps we could be reminded how many cars VW group have recently announced they are going to have to recall because of duff gearboxes. Couple of million is it? Cutting edge technology car gearboxes.
Perhaps they used project planners who had learnt their skills working on Berlin airport.

cavortingcheetah
15th Nov 2013, 19:02
They made two million Bentleys at Crewe?

500N
15th Nov 2013, 19:07
Were they made in Brazil ? :O

Thomas coupling
15th Nov 2013, 20:03
Lack of British know how over the last 50yrs:

Hovercraft: Christopher Cockerell, 1953

Automatic kettle: Peter Hobbs, 1955

Float Glass: Alastair Pilkington, 1959

Hip Replacement: John Charnley, 1962

Carbon fibre: Royal Aircraft Establishment engineers, 1963

Collapsible baby buggy: Owen Maclaren, 1965

ATM: John Shepherd-Barron, 1967

World Wide Web: Tim Berners-Lee, 1989

Wind-up radio: Trevor Baylis, 1991

Dyson vacuum: 1999.

Pprune: 2000.

Steri-spray: Ian Helmore, c. 2008

Higgs Boson: 2012.

According to the Japs, 40% of all life changing inventions have been invented in GB. The biggest ever being:

1. The USA.
2. Nearly every modern sport.
3. Newtons Law's of the universe.
4. The computer.
5. TV.
6. Steam Locomotive.
7. Theory of Evolution.
8. Telephone.
9. English Language.
10.NHS.

OUR biggest problem is and has always been: Marketing the damn products.:ugh:

bosnich71
15th Nov 2013, 21:22
Lon More .... Celtic and Rangers fans were indulging in quite a lot of "violence" well before it spread south of the border.
All those who think that hooliganism at football matches is an 'English disease' I can assure you that Dutch and German football grounds had fences around them and big Coppers with big dogs well before English grounds did.
And as for Scottish fans, well, they were indulging in 'friendly rivalry' long before it became a problem in England but don't let a few facts get in the way of your myths.

Tankertrashnav
15th Nov 2013, 23:09
I was watching a repeat of the programme about the Rolls Royce factory at Derby where they make the Trent aero engine (with input from other English factories). I was just so impressed by the skill of all, from the design department to the factory floor. And that is one high tech product we have been able to market successfully.

Lon More
16th Nov 2013, 09:45
PPRuNe: 2000. Shurely shum mishtake?
Bosnich Celtic and angers fans were engaged in battle long before football was invented
Wiki on the subject
The first instance of football violence is unknown, but the phenomenon can be traced back to 14th-century England. In 1314, Edward II banned football (at that time, a violent, unruly activity involving rival villages kicking a pig's bladder across the local heath) because he believed the disorder surrounding matches might lead to social unrest, or even treason.[7] According to a University of Liverpool academic paper, conflict at an 1846 match in Derby, England, required a reading of the "riot act" and two groups of dragoons to effectively respond to the disorderly crowd. This same paper also identified "pitch invasions" as a common occurrence during the 1880s in English football.[8]

The first recorded instances of football hooliganism in the modern game allegedly occurred during the 1880s in England, a period when gangs of supporters would intimidate neighbourhoods, in addition to attacking referees, opposing supporters and players. In 1885, after Preston North End beat Aston Villa 5–0 in a friendly match, both teams were pelted with stones, attacked with sticks, punched, kicked and spat at. One Preston player was beaten so severely that he lost consciousness and press reports at the time described the fans as "howling roughs".[7] The following year, Preston fans fought Queen's Park fans in a railway station—the first alleged instance of football hooliganism outside of a match. In 1905, a number of Preston fans were tried for hooliganism, including a "drunk and disorderly" 70-year-old woman, following their match against Blackburn Rovers.[7]

tony draper
16th Nov 2013, 09:49
Well aren't most sports just ritualized warfare?:rolleyes:

Solid Rust Twotter
16th Nov 2013, 10:02
These be real horizons, Mr P...:uhoh:

http://www.pangolin.li/travel_sites/namibia03/pics/a%20ausschau%20in%20der%20namib.jpg
http://www.gondwana-collection.com/uploads/pics/Namib_Desert_red_dunes_web_02.jpg

bosnich71
16th Nov 2013, 11:06
Lon More ... I thought that we were talking recent, as in the past 40 years of football violence not Wiki's views on the Middle Ages .... not that Wiki is the font of all knowledge anyway.
Ref. your statement about Celtic / Rangers fans, you've just proved my point,the Jocks were at it a long time before it became the "English disease". :)

cavortingcheetah
16th Nov 2013, 11:41
Somebody was extolling the virtues of the younger Wisteria sister's ass?
A creative piece of work? Repetitive strain industry perhaps.
British, certainly, my Mercedes will look and perform more agilely in twenty years time and probably cost less to run.
An impact worldwide? Possibly, but leaving out the crash word leaves only one to describe apparent mental potential of the wearer.

Gertrude the Wombat
16th Nov 2013, 12:38
Generating plants powered by burning undesirables no doubt
Like the story about German airmen being burnt for power at Cheddars Lane?

They took the boots off first though.

Lon More
16th Nov 2013, 13:50
EX GF picked up a brand new E320 which ground to a halt on the way home. There had never been any fluid in the gearbox. So much for quality control and dealer prep

B Fraser
16th Nov 2013, 14:53
Wholigan (also a Mod here, I have some reason to remember) disingenuously ignores what Cacophonix actually wrote

Airship, I have to take issue with what you have written. The man in question is the very definition of a gentleman, he does not deserve to be on the receiving end of a comment like that.

Bushfiva
16th Nov 2013, 15:00
I guess in this context I'll step up for airship: it certainly sounds like cacophonix is yer average bigotboy. But I can only go by what these people post.

B Fraser
16th Nov 2013, 15:07
A trait that is all too prevalent these days but play the ball and not the player.

Bushfiva
16th Nov 2013, 15:11
I can't work out what I've missed here. Maybe you should explain.

Tankertrashnav
16th Nov 2013, 16:28
Merc not magic.
(Also served on German ship which had rusting through probs at 2yo)

Not just Mercs. I had a 1968 VW which by 1973 had more holes in its body than a colander. The trouble is once a brand has achieved a reputation for reliability there is an appreciable lag before loyal customers will finally admit that things aren't the same as they used to be.

I have had a couple of what I consider to be the last of the "real" Mercs - both early 80s 230 Estates which were really solid and reliable, with few "add on " gimmicks. Modern Mercs seem to be no different from many of their competitors, apart from being unjustifiably more expensive.

Lon More
16th Nov 2013, 16:56
once a brand has achieved a reputation for reliability there is an appreciable lag before loyal customers will finally admit that things aren't the same as they used to be.
Saab being an example
OTOH Skoda build some nice cars these days

BenThere
16th Nov 2013, 18:42
The wife picked up a used, but low mileage, 230SLK a few years ago. We spent about $2,000 zero-timing the maintenance, replacing the hydraulic roof lifters, installing all new rubber seals and wiring, and ended up with a like new vehicle.

We've had a lot of fun with it over the 30,000 miles we've had it. It has been rock solid reliable and has incurred no repair cost at all. I think it's a very solid build. It's a 1999 model and we could sell it today for just about what we paid for it.

Mercedes was never all it was cracked up to be, but the quality was there then, and I think it is there still, though on a value basis the higher end Hyundais and Kias of today are where you get the most bang for your buck, though you certainly won't have the cachet of a Mercedes.

dbromle
16th Nov 2013, 22:34
"my Mercedes will look and perform more agilely in twenty years time and probably cost less to run"

In last year's What Car reliability survey Mercedes were ranked 29th out of 36 manufacturers (BMW were 25th).

If you're looking forward to years of reliable motoring then you may be in for a disappointment.

Cacophonix
16th Nov 2013, 23:55
Silver Arrows - Auto Union GP p1 - YouTube

Caco

Loose rivets
17th Nov 2013, 01:12
Wasn't it the manufacture of a Cavity Magnetron that was not half the size of a house that was the big breakthrough in Wartime Radar?

I'm just reading into the best thread of the year. Magnetron. Ooooo, now there's a word. Did you know, when they made that, there was no way to test its output. Waddatheydo? They made a length of wood, with two wires stretched like a two-stringed guitar, along its length. A lightbulb with two copper wires was slithered up and down the length of the wires, one connection on one string, and the other on t'other. With the bulb lighting and dimming, they could see the nodes and anti-nodes of the induced RF, and thus calculate the wavelength and so the frequency of the magnetron's output.

Makes one proud to be British.

My post, while not quite inducing tears, is making me head for another bottle of wine. My mummy made me a one string guitar in 1943, and I took it to show my granny in Braintree. When we got off the bus, it had gone from the luggage area under the stairs. All my mum's work in the hands of the first wicked person I was to encounter in this sorry life. The first apart from the ones dropping incendiary bombs on our roof every night, that is.

:( Come back editing thingies. I miss you, and I'm sorry I criticized you so vehemently.

cavortingcheetah
17th Nov 2013, 05:44
It seems likely that the connection between a Wisteria Bottom and Mercedes Benz has been lost in the posts since#54. Those who decry the quality of Mercedes Benz may be right. But in doing that they only illustrate the prescience of the original premise which was that in twenty years time the ass of the younger of the Wisteria sisters will be considerably less agile and have cost significantly more to sustain than an old Mercedes. The other creepy climber fragrant ass, the one that might be sitting on the throne, will undoubtedly have cost infinitely more than any amount of rust repair damage on absolutely millions of Mercedeses. That's Willy's Wisteria of course, as opposed to the one that's up for grabs.

Krystal n chips
17th Nov 2013, 07:18
" Britains has been sliding towards 3rd world status for a while.
basic infrastructure is ignored, yet wonderous palaces for the upper echelons keep appearing and vast sums are spent on "prestigious" projects.

meanwhile the roads are potholed, we are running out of electrical generating capacity, we have to import gas & electricity, which is sold to us at extortionate prices by foreign-controlled tax-avoiding not-quite-but-very-nearly-cartels.

oh gawd I'm begining to sound like KnC

Such faint praise is damning, although one is pleased to note a scintilla of understanding and perception has taken place within you. That said, you omitted the growth of food banks, pay-day loans, and the abysmal social engineering policies currently being imposed by the Etonian Mess.

I do though, fear for your aspirations within the Party with the publication of such views as your latent potential to rise to the very top has long been evident to astute observers and thus, sadly, being purged may yet be the only option for your salvation.

Although I am told that this experience is much sought after in certain circles so you may derive more esoteric pleasure should this transpire and indeed there was a thread recently on here which alluded to such interests.

I will however, say, that, unlike some on here, being purged would not be beneficial to your ability to communicate.

Your capability, as yet unproven, to organise a rally may offer you another suitable form of repentance however.

As for Chester, alas, all that glitters is not gold given the ranking on the home repossession list....still, why let reality impose on the world of insular ignorance and one wishes to politely indicate that medieval is spelt in this manner...one being a mere peasant of course

As a country, we are far too prone to dwelling on our past achievements and we also have an atrocious understanding of customer service, not the synthetic and cosmetic fawning variety, but actually providing the goods and services a customer requires without constant recourse to the abrogation of responsibilities on the part of the supplier.

BenThere
17th Nov 2013, 08:04
we also have an atrocious understanding of customer service, not the synthetic and cosmetic fawning variety, but actually providing the goods and services a customer requires without constant recourse to the abrogation of responsibilities on the part of the supplier

Krystal,

Touching on this subject opens a discussion which must reach a conclusion contrary to what I perceive as your world view.

Customer service quantified, is inversely proportional to the level of socialism a society has adopted. In a purely capitalist society, customer service is generally excellent; while in a purely socialist society, customer service is more likely to be uncaring and even surly. It's that ugly old profit motive rearing its head.

What we're arguing about is how to achieve the betterment of mankind, which can be assessed quite aptly on an issue as simple as customer service.

Krystal n chips
17th Nov 2013, 17:20
" Customer service quantified, is inversely proportional to the level of socialism a society has adopted. In a purely capitalist society, customer service is generally excellent; while in a purely socialist society, customer service is more likely to be uncaring and even surly. It's that ugly old profit motive rearing its head.

If there was the equivalent of a Darwin Award for the following :

The most inane and facile philosophical comment of the Year.

The most tenuous denigration of socialism vs capitalism.

Then it's reasonable assume you would be a prime contender for both titles.

My congratulations on being a double prize winner !