PDA

View Full Version : AZUS and W8. My last ever computer . . . possibly.

Loose rivets
15th Nov 2013, 00:35
I have an AZUS Ultrabook on sale or return. It was $645 + tax down from 999.

What think you about the value? One can get a pretty nice ordinary laptop for less money, but I did yearn for top end machine. However, the spec isn't all that great. (I have 14 more days to make me mind up.)

i5 1.7 gig with modest 1.2 solid state drive. Is that clock speed okay with the Intel i5 ?

Micro plug for HDMI, which gives a good picture on the 50" telly. However, the lead, or the plug, is intermittent. No DVD of course, and I'm kind of nervous about that, but I just can't carry a vast lappy around with me anymore - not with batteries that weigh as much as this very slick bit of kit - and this case really does feel cut from titanium. Had to be, to survive the tool they used to get the security device off the lid. It was stuck on with the kind of goo that you could hang a tank from the Empire State Building with.

I went for AZUS cos a bloke in Clacton - a long time survivor as a small computer business, says they are the one least likely to fail. Mmmm . . . He also said HP were four times more likely to fail than average. Sadly, that doesn't surprise me.

It seemed like a good deal, but I have to have an aftermarket (provided) power unit and there's no box, or owt, really. What does one normally get these days? The HDMI lead cost a fortune, but I'll be taking that back broken or not.

As mentioned on the other thread, the deal is I can download 8.1 and then W7 if I like, and still return it. Downloading is taking its time. The green barometer hasn't budged for ages, but on one of the options, you don't get to see the screen at all so it might be they're mean with the display technology. Downloading, it says. I'm not holding my breath.

Skype. Bloody heck. If I pick the box, it takes over the screen and won't let me out, or back, or do anything by join MS in their game. I have a telephone deal with Skype, so just want to have exactly what I've got on all other machines. Am I SOL on this one, or can I force the old Skype past MS's demands to sign up?

I've already managed to be invaded. I simply could not get PPRuNe's Forums to call the site. Fine on this one, or R&N, but not the home list of sub-sites. Every time it put in forward slash something and then a screen told me they couldn't find the site. I downloaded CCleaner and lo, it worked. Set up prune with all the target forums on my Pprune Bookmarks button.

8.1 promises great things, but it's still sitting there saying downloading, but doing s@d-all. Maybe it's moved a thou' or two. I'll have dinner with me fingers crossed.

MG23
15th Nov 2013, 01:31
i5 1.7 gig with modest 1.2 solid state drive. Is that clock speed okay with the Intel i5 ?

What do you intend to do with it? My laptop's i5 is 2.27GHz from about three years ago and played all the games I ran on it competently at mid to high settings (with a separate GPU for the graphics, obviously).

However, one problem I've seen repeatedly mentioned with 'Ultrabooks' is that the CPU gets so hot it clocks down.

obgraham
15th Nov 2013, 02:00
Loose:
I too just picked up an Asus ultrabook. But I went low end, $400 for a 11 inch traveling machine. Seems well put together. No prob with the HDMI output for vids.
Moving to 8.1 took all of 6 hours. Can't see much diff, but I finally have the machine looking like the old Win 7, loading to the desktop, etc. Office 2003 loaded up fine. AVG,CCleaner,PDF writer - and I'm good.
Will it last? Who knows.

Loose rivets
15th Nov 2013, 04:39
I didn't really do any research before buying this one. One advantage of the return policies these days. No guilt, as it was already un boxed.

I loaded 8.1 and Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements (http://classicshell.net/) I had assumed one could make it look 'normal' without third-party software, but I followed Brian Burgess' column and it works, but looks somehow lackluster. OBG, Did you use W8.1 facilities only?

Given MG's comment, I may search a bit harder for a bargain though I don't want it for games etc., just want to be a little future-proof. Just not paying the tax is significant, but soooo much cheaper than the UK VAT. One will look around.

Office 2010 loaded fine in 8.0 but unless I use a big screen, I'd hate to be at 1920 X 1080 res on this little patch. 1440 is perfect for me, and my LG screen, now in the UK, refreshes at 75 which I value.

Now it's a case of playing with this for a week, and then perhaps trying the downgrade.

AAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh! Just rebooted it, and it now wants a @#$^% password.

Capetonian
15th Nov 2013, 05:13
I have an Asus (actually badged as Littlebook, bought in Switzerland) which is about 7 years old. As solid as a rock, excellent build quality but heavy. It has slowed down a bit as it enters old age but that is more due to the software I think as the applications seem to get more and more resource hungry. It now stays at home to replace my burnt out desktop. It has loads of USB ports and has done good service. I have no idea what model it is!

I have W8 on my new Lenovo and don't like the o/s at all.

Mike-Bracknell
15th Nov 2013, 11:36
However, one problem I've seen repeatedly mentioned with 'Ultrabooks' is that the CPU gets so hot it clocks down.

I've never seen that mentioned, and would question it if I heard it anyway, as the i-series of Intel chips is considerably better thermally than the previous ranges.

I also have an Asus Ultrabook i7 which cost me £1300, and I hate the keyboard on it, so check that.....but aside from that I have no qualms about buying Asus. However, the hooey the small computer shop owner spouted about HP laptops being 4 times more likely to fail is just that...hooey - these days most manufacturers aside from the cheap crap sold in Costco/Currys has virtually the same MTBF.

Mike.

MG23
15th Nov 2013, 14:27
I've never seen that mentioned, and would question it if I heard it anyway, as the i-series of Intel chips is considerably better thermally than the previous ranges.

Under load, you're still putting a significant number of watts into a tiny case that requires a relatively complex cooling system compared to a traditional laptop.

When our netbook broke (fortunately it turned out to be just a broken keyboard) I looked at buying one as a replacement, and many of the reviews of the cheaper models said 'performance looks good on paper, but when you try to use it the CPU overheats.' I'm guessing that's why this one is only at 1.7GHz.

Loose rivets
15th Nov 2013, 14:33
Thanks, chaps.

Good to know about the robustness, but Mike, I'm just feet away from the Rivetess' HP. They let many hundreds of their customers down with that poor graphics chip soldering. Really silly way to mount a chip - in fact as one who did the practical C&G soldering test in Regents Street c 1958, I think it's all done with smoke and mirrors. No way could all those little balls find their homes and then flow nicely to perfect connectivity - with the heat that mustn't harm the chip. I'm convinced evil spells make them work until the guarantee runs out.

Now, what about the detritus that's left when 8.1 is loaded? Bust Buy assured me they could Recover the unit back to shop settings, so is that all lurking in my drive or do they port it in? The darn electric drive is now down to 89 gig. Daft. There are so many partitions I have no idea what they are supposed to be doing. My C D E setup obviously has no place in one of these devices.

Making 8.1 operate normally. Certainly, the screen-grabbing of these apps is bizarre. Skype, just takes the screen and then forces you to join some evil MS society before progressing. But is it then the Skype I know and very much rely on, or is it cloud-like in its operation? To get rid of that screen I found myself killing it in Task Manager.

I see 8.1 allows the removal of multiple Apps at a stroke.

Keyboard. I purchased and OEM box of 5 flat full sized keybs some years ago. Two are in the UK. Sadly, the letters wear off them, but that only fazes other people that try to type on my computer and serves me well. If I use the AZUS keyb then it doesn't seem too bad, but I have yet to find out how to action Home End Pg Up etc., The squitty little arrow keys are going to be a challenge if I have to use the on-board keyb.

I HATE the power button being where the Del should be. Are they crazy?

Picking up this shard of black metal this cold morning was painful. Darn thing was freeezing in my Texas office. Probably warmer in Clacton.

How to keep the Windows 8.1 Modern UI out of your way (http://www.gizmag.com/windows-81-modern-ui/29552/)

The labels - in particular, the Windows label, are in poor condition. I see no sign of a Windows license number. I'm getting a bad feel for this deal altogether.

It seems serious users with several machines HAVE to download each upgrade separately. Mine was only just in when the internet connection failed. Phew! AT&T are on my case and are generally very good, but that was scarey. What happens to that data if it's interrupted? Can we rely on it being cleaned up on the next install/download?

Every breath there is a new question. Must have some breakfast.

obgraham
15th Nov 2013, 16:05
Loose:

I did the 8.1 upgrade strictly from Microsoft. Of course I first had to do 67 updates to my original 8.0 so that it would accept the 8.1.

Next I worked up the desktop to look like I wanted, with "my computer", "control panel", and icons for my common programs.

Then I fixed it so that the machine loads directly to the desktop, not to the start menu. And I made it stop requiring a password. I found both those fixes by googling, but I'll look again if you wish.

I actually like the touch screen, and the "apps" page might be better than the old "my programs". The rest of the Win8 stuff is just foolish kidstuff to me.

Loose rivets
15th Nov 2013, 16:49
You did all that without an aftermarket shell? Mmmm, one is outclassed.

Just had another attempt to run Skype in 8.1 Totally hair-tearing mess. Finally thought I'd bypassed MS's dominance when it redirected me and told me 'from now own sign in as . . . " yeah, right.:*

The screen was unrecognizable, with contacts popping in and out of reality like virtual particles. Horrible, horrible little mindless nerds all writing stuff for their self-gratification.

One thing about this computer. I think it can be thrown through the window and into the mud without being damaged. Jumping up and down on it, in the mud, might be pushing limits. :rolleyes:

Are you about for a Skype? On the old machine, of course.

obgraham
15th Nov 2013, 17:39
Are you about for a Skype?I have no clue what skype is all about. Or twitter or facebook for that matter. Confirmed Luddite.

I started out trying to avoid "signing in with an email address" but very soon realized that was just not going to work. On top of that Asus soon had me signing in to Xbox. No F'ing way! So I used an old one that I never look at anymore.

Here's how I fixed that other rubbish:
Automate login and bypass the lock and Start screens in Windows 8.1 (http://betanews.com/2013/08/27/automate-login-and-bypass-the-lock-and-start-screens-in-windows-8-1/)

Loose rivets
15th Nov 2013, 18:14
E Washington state? It's getting a bit chilly up there by now isn't it?

Thanks for that. I'll have a better look when I've calmed down to simple volcanic levels.

I've been reading up on the exact unit, and it was c$1,200 and well received when it first appeared. I'm just rather puzzled by the low? clock speed, but is that not too bad for an i5?

Bust Buy have agreed to meet me to discuss the price. I'd better not be too 'assertive' because they have done me fantastic deals in the past. My Samsung 50" TV was on sale, minus open box - minus another discount, and when I pointed out the stand had been messed around with, they chopped yet another hundred off the price. As they carried it out, I felt quite guilty.:hmm:

One is in two minds.

Asus Zenbook Prime Touch UX31A-BHI5T Review & Rating | PCMag.com (http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2415921,00.asp)

vulcanised
15th Nov 2013, 19:42
I have had a brief acquaintance with Android during the past few weeks.

If, as I suspect, W8 bears a resemblance to that, I will never be purchasing a machine running that OS.

Loose rivets
15th Nov 2013, 21:50
Skype is by far the worst as of this time, and I use it every day. Unrecognizable.

Now I have to put in a password when I come back out of Sleep. Easy, right?

No it bloody isn't!:ugh:

Power Options
Require a Password on Wake Up.

Don't require is greyed out. It seems I need to Create or change my user account password. WTF??!!

There I am. Protected. It says I'm the Administrator. Well, let me do what I want. LET ME DO WHAT I WANT! No, shouting doesn't help.

Make changes to my Account in PC settings. I have to have a F:mad:ing password to do this. I do it because the machine is not a warrior, and I've no one to do battle with.

Sleep.

It worked, but I can't rejoice. It didn't do it this morning, so will it all change when I'm not looking? I'm sure MS is own by the Russians or the Chinese - or someone from the dark side. They are winning. :ooh:

Loose rivets
16th Nov 2013, 18:53
Watched 'Flight' on the 50" telly last night. The AZUS did a wonderful job of giving a hi-df picture, never once struggled for data. I supposed only a true Blue Ray will give the 120 refresh the set promises.

However, after carting it to the lounge, I was asked for a password again.:ugh: I knew it was going to happen - could feel it in me water.

I was scuppered by not having a direct link to the router. Never known that before. To get Ex Pat thingie in W8.1, I had to load it in safe mode, or so a forum said. When one goes to msconfig to get SAFE and picks Network, it doesn't allow a wireless connection.

I think the lack of plugs on this unit will be another reason to return it. Another model has a full sized HMDI, but this is a micro. Too frail by far to have that lead hanging on it.

It seems illogical to make a bullet proof case and then have plugs with wispy connectors in them.

Mike-Bracknell
16th Nov 2013, 23:11
When our netbook broke (fortunately it turned out to be just a broken keyboard) I looked at buying one as a replacement, and many of the reviews of the cheaper models said 'performance looks good on paper, but when you try to use it the CPU overheats.' I'm guessing that's why this one is only at 1.7GHz.

The chip is a relatively low clock speed to save battery power more than anything else.

ExSp33db1rd
21st Nov 2013, 19:14
ASUS I've had an Asus PC EEe thingy for a couple of years now, it works but is so slow as to drive one mad. It is bottom of the range with regard to RAM, so I asked my IT "expert" to upgrade it. He bought another RAM chip for me, then discovered that it wasn't 'plug and play' and couldn't instal it. I approached Asus and they confirmed, tough, you have to live with what you have, that model can't be jupgraded, why not buy the ............. well you know.

I'm told that part of my slow problem is the Trend Micro Titanium anti-virus programme, that is resource hungry, but I've just renewed for another year, so will live with it until I can give it the Heave-Ho and find something cheaper, or free !

Win 8 Passwords. I successfully installed Win 8.1 on my primary laptop, and selected the no password option, but recently wanted to send an e-mail to a hotel that has overcharged me on a credit card transaction. The only way I could do so was to send a "message" on the generic website of the hotel chain - Accor.

To do so I was forced to open a Microsoft Account ( !$^&)^)_*_!!) I then discovered that as an "Administrator" I now have to enter a password every time I re-boot the computer ( tho' I have managed to avoid that when re-opening from 'sleep' - so I never turn the bloody thing off now ) I've also found an option to use a simple PiN instead of a password, so 1234 it is - every time I re-start. Grrrrrrr

Why The F*** Can't They Leave Stuff Alone.

Loose rivets
21st Nov 2013, 20:47
It is manifestly clear from this forum, that Microsoft is hell-bent on driving fine, genteel, normally calm and dignified gentlemen into fits of apoplectic rage, that, without doubt, is deleterious to their psychological well-being and probably their physical health. However, in one fit of angst, one of my friends that I don't like, appeared as one of those virtual particles just at a time my equilibrium was significantly disturbed. I felt compelled to risk smudging the pristine touch-screen by poking him in the eye. I have to confess the results were rather impressive, and intrigued, I pressed the next menu . . . and the next.

Masses of people from my imported lists, all starting with said friend's initial, were displayed along with photos. I picked one.

I pressed the thingie that calls his home phone back in England. It worked, but not only that, the call tone was sooothing and suitably subtle. When they called me back, it was a pleasing experience, a gentle tone which asked to be answered in a way that would accept gracefully, my pressing the decline button. Of course, I didn't.

Now, all I have to do is find out how to delete the old Skype that I force-loaded over this fine new application.

mixture
22nd Nov 2013, 01:44
Make changes to my Account in PC settings. I have to have a Fing password to do this. I do it because the machine is not a warrior, and I've no one to do battle with.

Its exactly because of people like you why Microsoft introduced UAC and the requirement to enter a password to undertake privileged tasks.

Without UAC et al., a user double clicks on an attachment in an unexpected email, which duly self-installs a trojan on your system silently. At least with UAC and password prompts, the user is given a chance to demonstrate just how much of a moron they really are ! It turns an accident into a deliberate act of idiocy. :cool:

Not saying you would do such a thing, but just saying that the extra prompts give people who have not yet grasped the fundamentals of IT security and good sysadmin a second chance before messing something up.

In the real world of IT systems administration, you will NEVER find any techie logged in as Admin to a machine (unless the task at hand requires it, obviously)... they will login with an unprivileged user and then elevate privileges on a case-by-case basis. There is absolutely no reason why you should not do the same with your home PC..... I do. Its best practise.

Guest 112233
22nd Nov 2013, 08:16
Unfortunately M is correct in this respect:

User Account control (who remembers Vista in its initial incarnation !) does interrupt your thought processes when using a Computing Device - its underlying function is to stop and make you think about your actions.

Speaking from experience and not expedience, I have gradually adapted my behaviour to accommodate its vicissitudes - undermining its purpose to an extent.

It's only as a last resort; that I disable it and I have done this on only one case under duress and I explained to the user, a learner in her late 50's who had never used a computer before, the consequences of the action.

So "pur-chance to dream....."

On awakening from your slumbers, in the chilly but beautiful Pacific N.W and reading this: will test the frangibility of the triple glazing with the said Box.

CAT III

ExSp33db1rd
23rd Nov 2013, 20:37
A side effect of having to create a Microsoft Account to send an e-mail via a website, and not directly to the hotel, has been the installation - without telling, or even asking me - of something called SkyDrive.

This Devil has now grabbed all my photographs, and insists that anything I "Save as" - .pdf club minutes and the like, are now not sent to "Documents" as I've experienced for the last 30 years or so, but to a "Documents" folder in a sub-folder called "SkyDrive", so all my stuff is now slowly being split between my original "Documents" and "Pictures" and "Downoads" and the new "Documents" etc in the SkyDrive folder, so if I can't find what I want to re-visit in "Documents" or "Pictures", then I have to start again in SkyDrive.

How do I exorcise this SkyDrive Demon from my Life ?

I've considered closing the M/Soft account that I apparently had to open to download the new Win. 8.1 - I've since learned that "maybe" I could have avoided this, had I known how to - but frightened that I will be locked out of the Win 8.1. O.S. and have nothing left ?

SkyDrive has also infested my Picasa photo progamme, and now won't let me send photo's without also creating a SkyDrive Album, putting whatever I send on to the Net for 6 months.

It's enough to send one to a Desert Island ( with ones' own selection of Discs !! )

(Incidentally - the hotel credit card charge was for Internet access !!! that I'd forgotten about, but I settled with cash on departure and think the hotel are barstewards for not presenting my total charges at time of check out, I walked out with a receipted account showing zero balance, then they hit me for the Intenet use the next day. Accor Hotels. )

Don Coyote
24th Nov 2013, 12:19
Ex

Search for SkyDrive on your computer and click on the icon for "SkyDrive storage space". When the app starts, toggle the switch "save documents to SkyDrive by default" to off.

You could then cut and paste documents back to your normal folders.

ExSp33db1rd
25th Nov 2013, 21:30
...........click on the icon for "SkyDrive storage space".

Thank you, found that, will see how we go now !
ExS.

Loose rivets
25th Nov 2013, 21:38
Really interesting stuff above. Learn something every day. Wish I could remember it.:(

The shard of metal has been returned. It appealed to my sense of design, and the video streaming onto the big telly was stunning. However, an HDMI socket, the micro version, was problematical, and I've just proved the fault to Bust Buy in their workshop. That, coupled with the ridiculously small SS drive space, made me part with it. $1,199 down to 650 was a heck of a discount, but I don't need hundreds of bucks worth of problems. Furthermore, even W8.1 with its new shell was still beating me with its odd ways, things loading time and again after I'd closed them and even killing it via Task Manager saw the Skype App reload itself and dominate the screen with relentless determination.

At the end of the day, it just wasn't a real working tool. More a yuppy status symbol. Pity, I need a bit of street cred.