PDA

View Full Version : When Political Correctness Collides With...

finfly1
14th Nov 2013, 22:56
.....either the FAA or physics, "news" stories are generated.

Two were on NY television tonight. A blind man was told to get his dog under a seat for takeoff and argued. He was evicted and the other passengers made a fuss. They went by bus.

The second was the story of an enormous child and his medical equipment who is apparently returning to Europe from the US by passenger cruise liner.

The lawyers are likely swarming already. It's been ten minutes since the stories aired.

500N
14th Nov 2013, 23:03
finfly

Sorry, you have lost me. Need more detail.

The 1st story. Not sure what to think, where do dogs of the blind go on aircraft ?
I would have thought they knew this.

2nd story. What is the go here ? What was the problem ?

Cacophonix
15th Nov 2013, 00:19
Bunch of swine... I have just fed my dog the only bits of meat in my soup and she has now settled under my desk...

Caco

finfly1
15th Nov 2013, 01:24
First story - the seeing eye dog looked to be a golden lab. I would not think he/she would want to spend much time under a seat, no matter how well behaved they are, and yes, it would definitely seem that this matter must have surfaced in the past fifty years and have been dealt with.

Second story I only caught the end of, but BA was somehow involved and my surmise was that they had refused carriage to the young fellow. In fact I expected to come to pprune and find a thread already started on the event(s).

Dushan
15th Nov 2013, 01:52
Don't know not'n about the first story.

The way I see the second story this kid, not a kid but a young man, went to US on a BA flight and all was good. He stayed around and the filthy Americans fed him so much food that he became clinically obese (600lbs) and BA refused him boarding as they were afraid the seat on their brand new A380 was going to break.

Cacophonix
15th Nov 2013, 02:00
What happens when PC collides with a right wing Canuck...:\

For Dushan...;)

PAT TRAVERS BAND LIVE-SNORTIN' WHISKEY - YouTube

Caco

finfly1
15th Nov 2013, 20:36
The blind man has now sued US Airways. Does anyone KNOW the rule ref keeping aisle clear for takeoff vs right of blind person to have dog with them?:confused:

Um... lifting...
15th Nov 2013, 22:11
A number of paragraphs here. Without knowing specifics of seat reservations, timing of making reservations and so forth it is probably impossible to determine the outcome. However, I suspect if it goes to court, US Airways will lose.

http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/rules/382short.pdf

Oktas8
15th Nov 2013, 23:53
From um...lifting's helpful link:

382.55 (2):
Carriers shall permit a service animal to accompany a qualified individual with a disability in any seat in which the person sits, unless the animal obstructs an aisle or other area that must remain unobstructed in order to facilitate an emergency evacuation.

Common sense, satisfies all parties, balances the special needs of the individual against the general needs of the majority.

If this is all there is to the story, I hope the disabled guy loses and gets court costs awarded against him. For court's time, wasting of.

G-CPTN
16th Nov 2013, 00:03
The animal had become restless because the plane had been waiting on the tarmac for 90 minutes.
The flight attendant would not allow the plane to take off because the guide dog was not fully under the plane's seat.'The lady comes back and gets very insistent, and I said, ''Look, I don't understand what you want me to do.'''I said, ''He's as best as he can, he's where he needs to be.''
Passengers stood up for the disabled passenger which led to the captain asking all of those onboard to leave the plane.
U.S. Airways claimed that Mr Rizzie was verbally abusive but that an investigation into the incident would take place.
'In this instance, Mr. Rizzi became disruptive and refused to comply with crew member instructions when the flight attendant asked him to secure his service dog at his feet. As a result of his disruptive behavior, the crew returned to the gate and removed Mr Rizzi and his service dog from the flight.
The flight eventually cancelled and we transported Mr Rizzi, his service dog, and the rest of our passengers on the flight to ISP by bus.'
From:- US Airways passengers' revolt after crew kick blind man off | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2507177/US-Airways-passengers-revolt-crew-kick-blind-man-off.html)

radeng
16th Nov 2013, 13:23
I suspect the ADA comes in somewhere.

BenThere
16th Nov 2013, 14:37
Safety is always the first priority.

It is the captain's responsibility to ensure the safety of the flight, and if he feels it is compromised he has the authority and responsibility to stop the entire operation until the compromise is sorted.

Any court that undermines this is playing with fire.

Just because a passenger is disabled does not mean they can violate generally recognized safety precautions. If the flight attendant was abusive without justification, that's one thing. If the flight attendant was strictly asserting responsibility and authority in the interest of flight safety, the court should and likely will provide protection.

UniFoxOs
16th Nov 2013, 15:46
100% load factor? Seems hard to believe there wasn't one free seat anywhere on the plane so that with a little rearrangement the blind guy could have enough floor space alongside him for the dog to lie without intruding into the aisle. If the pax were as much on his side as the article indicates surely one or two wouldn't have objected to moving to allow this.

finfly1
16th Nov 2013, 18:16
Overbooking and totally filled flights are the rule, not the exception on this particular flight. I have flown it over two dozen times each way in the past several years. It is sort of a poster child for what contemporary domestic air travel has become in this country in recent years.