PDA

View Full Version : How to get a discount for your CPL/IR training

Skroutz
26th Feb 2001, 22:29
Is anyone interested in doing the CPL/IR Multi at International Flight Training in Florida or any other FTO so that we can bring the cost of training down as a pair or group?
If so please sent me an e-mail at
[email protected]

Cheers
Skroutz

HomerSimpson
27th Feb 2001, 03:39
You do know that if your do an IR outside the JAA you will have to do an approved IR course once back! That means paying there and then again for a 55 hour course. Check the recents posts....

Regards,
Homer ;)

------------------
Duff, Duff, that Wonderful stuff. Ummmmm Doughnuts

Skroutz
27th Feb 2001, 22:50
HomerSimpson

What you say is very interesting because Panam & IFT advertise that you can do the Multi engine & CPL training and the skill test in florida. The only problem with IR is that you have to do the skill test in UK and for that reason they have an associate school(JAA Aproved) in UK where you can do the final 10hrs of your IR training and the IR skill test.

Have a look at www.intlflight.com (http://www.intlflight.com) , www.panamacademy.com (http://www.panamacademy.com)

Can anybody give us some more details here.

Cheers
Skroutz

rolling circle
28th Feb 2001, 01:51
Duff Duff Gen, Homer - Skroutz is doing the full JAA approved IR course, he's just doing 45 hours of it at IFTA.

The problem comes with holders of ICAO IR's who, in the past, had to complete training only at the discretion of the FTO before taking the JAA IR Skill Test but now have to complete the full approved course. For example, the guy who has a FAA CPL/IR, no matter how much experience he has, will now have to do 50 hours of training before being allowed to attempt the JAA IR Skill Test.

Island Hopper
28th Feb 2001, 02:03
Just a side-note, but relevant to the subject of this post - 'How to get a discount on your CPL/IR training'
Is anyone aware that anyone who holds an IMC rating can have the minimum number of hours for the IR reduced from 55 to 47 ?

If you're training in a twin at roughly £250 per hour, this could add up to a nice little saving.

robione
1st Mar 2001, 20:59
The figure for the hours reduction for holders of a IMC rating are from 55 down to 43,and the rating must be attached to your CAA license,then as is the case,pay 128 pounds for the privalage of having it transfered to your JAR licence.You can do 28hrs sim and 15 a/c then test thats the absolute minimums.Not so sure about the figure quoted above 250 pounds per hr IR twin training.Where?what a/c?is that chock to chock or airbourne time?

[This message has been edited by robione (edited 01 March 2001).]

The flying gunman
1st Mar 2001, 21:48
As I stated on another recent post be careful with the IMC.You only get exemptions from IR hours if you have a CAA PPl not a JAA PPL.You can still do an IMC on a JAA PPL but it counts for nothing towards your IR(Except experience)

------------------
He who smiles when the sh** hits the fan has found someone else to blame!

[This message has been edited by The flying gunman (edited 01 March 2001).]

Skroutz
1st Mar 2001, 22:37
And not only that.If you have an IMC under UK PPL the only exemption you get is 12hrs sim.How much does this cost-£800?

Cheers
Skroutz

TooHotToFly
1st Mar 2001, 22:45
Skroutz - It will only be a reduction of sim hours assuming that the sim you're using is an FNPT (II). An FNPT (G) or FNPT (I) can only be used for a maximum of 20 and 25 hours respectively. If you're not using an FNPT (II) it will be 12 hours of aircraft flying, and if you are using an FNPT (II), I don't think you could get one on an hourly rate for much less than £200 - so it does help a lot.

Evil Jethro
1st Mar 2001, 23:47
Be advised the 12 hour reduction as mentioned above is only valid til 30 June 2002...so get your skates on.

EggBeta
2nd Mar 2001, 00:13
Is that any IR, for example SEL FAA?

rolling circle
2nd Mar 2001, 05:37
OK, let's try to clarify the position with modular courses for the IR added to a UK licence or JAA licence issued in the UK.

The length of the course, for a multi-engine IR is 55 hours, of which up to 25 hours may be instrument ground time in a FNPT I, or up to 40 hours in a flight simulator or FNPT II, if agreed by the Authority. (Remember that, under JAR-FCL, the term 'flight simulator' means a full flight simulator in accordance with JAR-STD 1)

If you have a UK PPL with no IMC rating, you complete the whole course.

If you have a UK CPL or UK PPL with IMC rating you get a 12 hour reduction and, therefore, need to complete only 43 hours of training.

If you have a JAA PPL, with or without IMC rating, you complete the full 55 hour course.

If you have an ICAO (including JAA) CPL, you get a 5 hour reduction and, therefore, need to complete only 50 hours of training.

Possession of a non-JAA IR gets you no credit whatsoever. (But possession of a non-JAA, but ICAO, CPL gets you 5 hours)

You cannot get both the 12 hour and the 5 hour reduction (i.e. a JAA CPL with IMC rating gets only the 5 hour credit)

I think that covers all the options.........Doesn't it?

The flying gunman
3rd Mar 2001, 00:32
Spot on this time Rolling circle as I understand it. The schools as well as the CAA are moraly obliged to tell JAA PPL holders that the IMC they are undertaking does not give them credit towards the IR...Do They?????.I think not