PDA

View Full Version : foreign license conversion

phoenix1086
14th Nov 2013, 07:30
Hi all,
I am a FO on the B777 and have an ATPL issued by Singapore.
In the process of converting my license to an Oz equivalent.
Just wanted to check what is the situation in terms of securing a job in an airline in Oz, not necessarily a big one like Qantas. Something smaller like Jetstar or Qlink or charter ops would be just fine. Not too eager to fly long haul i suppose.
Planning to shift to Oz permanently is possible.
The immigration process is another step, but wish to sort this out first :)
Would appreciate any feedback, suggestions.
Thanks
Cheerios.

Centaurus
14th Nov 2013, 10:41
Something smaller like Jetstar or Qlink

I understand that each airline has over 1000 pilot applications on their books, most from experienced pilots. I doubt if you could jump the queue even for a interview. 777 co-pilot time is not worth anything in Australia.

However if you have 500 hours minimum real command time on light piston or turbo-prop twins (not ICUS which is regarded as fake time in many people's minds) you might strike lucky and get an interview in a general aviation outfit. Even then there will others in the queue before you. There is a hopeless oversupply of relatively experienced pilots already in Australia looking for jobs.
Other than that it might be worth spending money on a grade 3 flying instructor course and then travel around looking for an instructing job on a Cessna 152, 172. In other words count on starting all over again from the bottom.

While this all sounds a bit pessimistic, you'd better believe it.

phoenix1086
14th Nov 2013, 10:57
Thanks for the reply.
Do things change for the better, if I was rated on A320 or B737??

SOPS
14th Nov 2013, 12:35
First thing first. Do you have the right to work in Australia? I'm sort of wondering how you are planning just to come on down and hop into the RHS of Virgin or who evere?

And we won't even start on the right to live in Australia.

Berealgetreal
14th Nov 2013, 18:57
Rights aside, I find it ridiculous that in 2014 one has to convert a licence. If you have the right to live and work you should be able to come over and apply and vice versa. What's the point of ICAO if we can't take our licence elsewhere without handing out more money and jumping through more hoops. Ridiculous. One of the worst parts of our industry.

hiwaytohell
14th Nov 2013, 19:58
I find it ridiculous that in 2014 one has to convert a licence. If you have the right to live and work you should be able to come over and apply and vice versa. What's the point of ICAO if we can't take our licence elsewhere without handing out more money and jumping through more hoops. Ridiculous. One of the worst parts of our industry. There are time you wish PPRuNe had a 'like' button.

After all these years trying to harmonise our regs it is only getting harder.

Mach E Avelli
14th Nov 2013, 20:26
Phoenix, go to the CANADA forums here. At the very top is a sticky which the Mods posted because of the repetitive requests from foreign pilots wanting to find work in Canada. Some of the comments posted there may seem harsh, but they are spot on.
To summarise:
1. If you do not have the right to work in (insert developed country of your choice) you are highly - extremely - unlikely to find an employer.
2. Even if you do have the right etc, you are highly unlikely to find an employer until you have all the local licences and a current instrument rating.
3. Most employers want pilots to be type rated on their equipment as a pre-condition of employment. Some require pay-for-training up front.
4. The supply of local pilots in (insert developed country of your choice) exceeds demand. About the only exceptions are the sand pit and possibly Hong Kong (if they are considered 'developed'?).
5. Flight schools have a vested interest in telling you that once you have spent your money with them, a job will be yours.

With regard to 5. above, my advice is get a guarantee in writing. HA!