PDA

View Full Version : Requirement of curtains in the forward galley

krishna chettri
12th Nov 2013, 06:22
Dear All,

Require your feedback on whether Curtain is required in the forward galley which separates the forward galley and the cabin.

Most airlines have curtains to separate the forward galley area and the cabin. In view of the crew requiring to enter flight deck every now and then it makes sense to have curtain in the forward which can be drawn to prevent passengers from knowing that the flight deck door is opened. Also whenever the cockpit door is opened for the flight deck crew to use the washroom passenger in general would not be able to see the flight deck door opening and closing.

I would really appreciate if you all can throw light on the matter keeping civil aviation requirements in mind.

Looking forward to your valuable reply.

Regards,

Krishna Chettri.

Tu.114
13th Nov 2013, 10:20
The curtain is for separating the galley from the passenger cabin, nothing else. On types that have no galley up front, there typically is no such curtain between the passenger cabin and the cockpit door.

I understand that the curtain is mainly intended to keep all those kitchen fumes from pestering the passengers seated in the vicinity; any uses beyond that are merely coincidental.

Cockpit access and the associated regulations and procedures are another matter and will not be discussed by me here.

krishna chettri
14th Nov 2013, 06:55
Thanks for commenting and putting in your perspective. Appreciate it.

bucks_raj
14th Nov 2013, 17:11
Air DECCAN and KF Red did not have curtains up front.I think S2 did not as well.Air DECCAN and IT Red used to align the service cart LEFT/RIGHT and Brake it before opening the FD Door.The curtain certainly only seems to be a gateway to privacy for D Class here. As far as the regulations go they can never have you put a curtain for safety or security and deccan and red did not have any so there aint any regulation on it for sure.Also if there is a regualtion check the aircrafts MEL or Cabin defect loag.Does it mention curtains??

fa2fi
14th Nov 2013, 20:32
I actually think it's safer having an exposed flight deck door. That way the entire cabin can see what's going on. A curtain could cover up something sinister. If the pax can see the door and can see someone try to unlawfully enter the flight deck then action could be taken.

twhite1
16th Nov 2013, 22:13
Beside the issue of the flight deck door, I wouldn't like a whole aisle of passengers to see me sat on a metal canister having a break or even worse...being seen eating something that is far nicer than what we serve to passengers!

Another point, irritable passengers or medical reasons. If we have to deescalate a situation or deal with a medical incident that can be dealt with out the view of passengers, this leads to far better scenario than to have the performance in front of all the passengers!

krishna chettri
2nd Dec 2013, 11:59
Thanks Raj...