PDA

View Full Version : will married status mean less chance of BA sponsorship?

jlms
26th Feb 2001, 22:27
Hi there.

Well, as I said in the subject: Does a married person have less chances of getting a BA sponsorship against an exactly the same unmarried person?

I think that perhaps they do not like the fact of people having "other" important responsabilities during training. But maybe not.

Any help or experience appreciated.

Cheers.

jlms

Pontius
27th Feb 2001, 00:33
JLMS,

The short answer is 'no', however.......

There is a good possibility that you may be trained in the US and may (for various personal reasons) have to leave your wife in the UK. You may have a decent job at the moment and you & your wife will have to get used to leaving on zilch for quite some time. You will have your head buried in books for months and will be flying hard to pass the course, therefore little time for 'normal' husbandy-type stuff.

These are just a few of the consideraions that sinlge people (mostly) don't have to face when starting the TEP course. None of them are insurmountable but you will be expected to have given the implications of the ATPL course due consideration.

In the end it boils down to that last sentence. You definitely can be married and do the course. It definitely will not affect your application but you will almost ceratinly be asked for your opinions on what you're taking on.So make sure the 2 of you think through the scenarios first (for your own good and not just for the interview).

Hope it helps,

Pontius

------------------
You Ain't Seen Me - Right !!

Pandora
27th Feb 2001, 17:43
jlms,

there were lots of married girls and boys on the BA scheme while I was there. Things to bear in mind are; you are almost certainly going to end up in London somewhere, so make sure Mr/Mrs jlms doesn't mind that too much. Also, as Pontius has said, a lot of training goes on abroad. All of the married cadets I know (including me) got around this one by stating a preference when asked which school you want to go to, and we all ended up in Oxford (still had to spend 2 months in the States though). Rumour is one poor sod said at interview he'd go anywhere for training and ended up in Michigan, which his wife did't like.

jlms
27th Feb 2001, 19:19
Thank you for your time guys.

Good luck.

jlms