PDA

View Full Version : Sir David Beckham?????

aviate1138
11th Nov 2013, 13:31
Is this just media speculation?

For doing what? :rolleyes: God, does that mean the not so 'Posh Spice' will be Lady Victoria.....?

What about someone who deserves the honour like Eric Winkle Brown and so many more

who have made their mark for the United Kingdom.

Just a thought......

500N
11th Nov 2013, 13:40
I think he has "made their mark for the United Kingdom.", not just in football but the charity side as well.

And he has done it over the long term. Remember the comments on the gongs handed to the British Olympians thread about getting a gong for one performance ?

In addition, he always seems to be out there when his "being involved" can help the UK for whatever reason.

That's my HO.

And yes, it would be Lady Victoria.

Dak Man
11th Nov 2013, 13:43
He deserves a Knighthood for sha66ing that minger for so long.

Molemot
11th Nov 2013, 13:51
I recently emailed the Cabinet Office to suggest that Richard Noble, of land speed record fame and the organiser of the current "Bloodhound" 1000mph car project, ought to be given a knighthood...especially since we now knight dopefreak rock and rollers and the like. I received a nice reply to the effect that anyone can recommend anyone at all for an honour.....and here are the necessary forms! So, if you think someone deserves such an honour...all you have to do is fill in the form and hope "they" agree with you. Note, it's just "an honour"...not any specific honour...

Octopussy2
11th Nov 2013, 13:53
Actually, it would be "Lady Beckham" not "Lady Victoria" to indicate she's not a real lady...

.....as if we didn't know that already :E

StressFree
11th Nov 2013, 14:05
Personally I don't see a problem with this, in my view he may not be perfect but is clearly a patriot and puts himself out to further the interests of his country.

As his football career has ended I expect we'll see a lot more of him being a roving ambassador for things that promote the UK, like it or not he's popular around the world.

Cyber Bob
11th Nov 2013, 14:44
Why not, they gave one to a Disc Jockey!!!

Seldomfitforpurpose
11th Nov 2013, 15:22
David Beckham will without a shadow of a doubt have done more for this country, both on and off the pitch in his time than any of those who come in here to enviously decry him :ok:

Tankertrashnav
11th Nov 2013, 15:25
I'm no football fan, but I'd go along with it. However, maybe instead of a knighthood they could go for the Order of Merit - then there'd be no title for Mrs B ;)

Order of Merit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_Merit)

I see from the article there are three vacant positions in the Order, so he wouldn't have to wait for someone to die.

500N
11th Nov 2013, 15:31
I think he will be a great asset to the UK over the coming years
and IMHO should be employed by the Gov't in a role such as
ambassador or something.

He seems to know when to smile, when to keep his mouth shut
and that discretion is required. He obviously has the confidence
of Prince William and is not overawed at all.

Re the OM
I disagree, wrong award for Beckham.

Pilot.Lyons
11th Nov 2013, 16:30
Is this just media speculation?

For doing what? :rolleyes: God, does that mean the not so 'Posh Spice' will be Lady Victoria.....?

Lady spice more like :D

Lon More
11th Nov 2013, 16:52
Lord and Lady Dumbo of Essex

tony draper
11th Nov 2013, 17:10
Strikes me hey are the modern version of Lord and Lady Docker famous for their conspicuous consumption just after the war when the rest of the country was scratching about potless, beloved on the media of course,but that did not last.
I think the modern take would be,
Those the Gods wish to destroy they first make celebs.
:rolleyes:

Lord Spandex Masher
11th Nov 2013, 17:12
A Knight what can't speak proper English?!

flying lid
11th Nov 2013, 17:26
Good on him - a true sporting ambassador for Britain, a bloody good player to boot !!.

Beckham should be made FIFA president also. What has Mr Step on a Dog Turd (Sepp Blatter) ever done ?

Lets name a beer after him !!

http://bolmarnest.files.wordpress.com/2013/05/bottle_m_1729726a.jpg

cavortingcheetah
11th Nov 2013, 17:46
The Dockers got done by the then equivalent of HMRC for a fortune in taxes after a revenuer, quite by chance, eavesdropped on their private financial conversation at a fashionable London restaurant. What the tax man was doing grazing there, suborning the invasion of privacy to his advantage, has never been explained.
The Beckhams are a 'nice' lower class couple with money. He should be elevated to the House of Lords as a sporting rival to Sebastian Coe. He would merge seamlessly into the peer group provided by the Wales boys and their hangers on. His wife would serve only to upstage and thus illustrate quite how banal and, dare one say seemingly bovine, is the future, once removed, queen of England.

goudie
11th Nov 2013, 17:58
David Beckham will without a shadow of a doubt have done more for this country, both on and off the pitch in his time than any of those who come in here to enviously decry him
SFFP
Well said sir!:ok:

G-CPTN
11th Nov 2013, 18:02
Sir Bernard Docke (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Docker)r.

Norah, Lady Docker (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norah,_Lady_Docker).

angels
11th Nov 2013, 18:10
I think he has been a fine ambassador for our country.

I read the other day that Beckham is the second most known English word in Japan after Coca Cola.

Remember at one point in his career people were hanging effigies of him after he got sent off in the World Cup. It took guts, hard work and talent to fight his way back.

And I'm pleased to see that he sneaks out to his local pie and mash shop when he's around.

I've no time for the honours system but people far less worthy than him have got gongs.

cavortingcheetah
11th Nov 2013, 18:12
The richly deserved title of Lord and Lady Beckham of Whipps Cross would have a delightful snappiness about it.

500N
11th Nov 2013, 18:22
Cavorting

"The Beckhams are a 'nice' lower class couple with money."

That maybe so but unlike others who also have money and from all three classes, at least when he associates with other classes he 1. knows how to dress and 2. knows how to behave.

And what is wrong with trying to improve your lot in life ?

IMHO, he is always striving to get better.

Cacophonix
11th Nov 2013, 18:26
Surely the Cheetah's irony can become no more piquant or, as some might opine, acerbic...? ;)

Caco

SOPS
11th Nov 2013, 19:22
I think he is more worthy than that Jimmy bloke.

ex_matelot
11th Nov 2013, 23:16
David Beckham will without a shadow of a doubt have done more for this country, both on and off the pitch in his time than any of those who come in here to enviously decry him

I'd wager there are those amongst us who have had various snazzy bits of tin pinned to our chests at some point who would beg to differ!

cavortingcheetah
12th Nov 2013, 05:16
Always please, when referring to worthy gong and uniform wearers, exclude that pusillanimous pustule of a popinjay, the Earl of Wessex.

Krystal n chips
12th Nov 2013, 06:05
" David Beckham will without a shadow of a doubt have done more for this country, both on and off the pitch in his time than any of those who come in here to enviously decry him

Erm, no.

At best he was a reasonable footballer, but nothing exceptional and the only thing he has done more for, apart from his bank balance I agree, is the profits of various marketing depts. as brand Beckham.....that's his sole contribution.

As for a knighthood, how many years of constant whinging from himself did it take for another talentless individual,initials B.F, to be awarded one, again, for what reason.

500N
12th Nov 2013, 06:09
Nothing exceptional ???

He might not have been a Pele but he could play better football than the majority
and who else could take a free kick like him ?

Capetonian
12th Nov 2013, 06:52
I don't think he got, or deserved, the award for being able to kick a ball around and make lots of money. He got it for representing the UK globally and for being an icon of decency compared to some of the worthless low-life who've been recognised.

ExRAFRadar
12th Nov 2013, 06:53
"pusillanimous pustule of a popinjay" :ok:

Cavorting, you weren't this man by chance ? (Go to about 0:55)

Not the chap pictured, the chap at 0:55 :)

dipgwBEx8FY

Lon More
12th Nov 2013, 06:56
you learn something new here every day. I never knew there was a British football team outside the Olympics - but they're all amateurs}

Evanelpus
12th Nov 2013, 10:22
I'm neither one way or the other regarding Beckham the footballer.

But can you imagine how much more sanctimonious she'll be with the Lady title before her name? OMFG

Lightning Mate
12th Nov 2013, 10:29
But can you imagine how much more sanctimonious she'll be with the Lady title
before her name?

Bloody good reason for not giving him a knighthood then !

500N
12th Nov 2013, 10:33
"But can you imagine how much more sanctimonious she'll be with the Lady title before her name? OMFG"

Can she get any more sanctimonious?

I think she has it down to perfection.

Lightning Mate
12th Nov 2013, 10:38
Where've you been ?

500N
12th Nov 2013, 10:40
Coffee with GF and I fell asleep !!!

Lightning Mate
12th Nov 2013, 10:42
Bet she was pleased.............:E

Tankertrashnav
12th Nov 2013, 15:42
500N - I suggested the Order of Merit mainly because it does not carry a title as such, and therefore there would be no question of a Lady Beckham, which we all seem to be trying to avoid. All that is with exception Cavorting Cheetah who compares her favourably with the Duchess of Cambridge, about whom he made some very ungallant remarks, and which I think probably place him in a minority of one on this thread!

Incidentally one of the criteria for an award of the Order of Merit is contribution to the cultural life of the nation, and whilst this has usually meant the arts, literature or music, I see no reason why sport in general and football in particular should not fall into this category.

Lightning Mate
12th Nov 2013, 15:44
....I see no reason why sport in general and football in particular should not
fall into this category.

I do mate !

tony draper
12th Nov 2013, 16:07
Trouble is we no longer produce great men,so they scatter knighthoods about like Hitler scattered Iron Crosses about at the end of the war.:rolleyes:

500N
12th Nov 2013, 16:15
Tanker

I understand why you chose the OM, I still think Football falls outside of the remit it currently covers and like LM, I woudn't put football into the same as culture and the arts ;)

Why not just upgrade his CBE ? Plenty of options there.

Krystal n chips
12th Nov 2013, 16:59
" and therefore there would be no question of a Lady Beckham "

Or becoming one without the title.

Mr Chips
12th Nov 2013, 17:48
Utter bull$hit. he has been paid a fortune for being able to kick a football,and then for being part of Brand Beckham. Representing the country? It is just a result of our celebrity obsessed society

How many Monday nights has he spent opening up a cold dark scout hut, how many hours has he spent visiting the sick in a hospital, how many large scale events as he provided first aid at?

Volunteers in this country deserve far far more than a footballer, and that's without even mentioning members of the armed forces

He deserves nothing.

cavortingcheetah
12th Nov 2013, 17:58
One must surely derive a degree of amusement from a man who spent his professional life kicking balls around and subsequently entered into his retirement as an underwear model.

500N
12th Nov 2013, 18:09
I wouldn't say he entered into retirement as an underwear model.

I'd say he takes stupid amounts of money from idiots who are willing to pay him to wear them and frankly, I don't blame him !!!

Seldomfitforpurpose
12th Nov 2013, 18:33
Utter bull$hit. he has been paid a fortune for being able to kick a football,and then for being part of Brand Beckham. Representing the country? It is just a result of our celebrity obsessed society

How many Monday nights has he spent opening up a cold dark scout hut, how many hours has he spent visiting the sick in a hospital, how many large scale events as he provided first aid at?

Volunteers in this country deserve far far more than a footballer, and that's without even mentioning members of the armed forces

He deserves nothing.

Chippy,

I spent 38 and a bit years in the Military, I spent 7 years coaching local youth football and have done a whole variety of other fund raising things and I begrudge young David nothing.

Was it the post or the poster that caused that minor gasket blow :p

cavortingcheetah
12th Nov 2013, 18:34
This is a rather less than flattering portrait of the ball kicker which portrays him more as a mannequin that as God's gift to the sport of lager louts.
Beckham finally retires from soccer (photos) | canada.com (http://o.canada.com/sports/david-beckham-retires-from-soccer-to-focus-on-career-as-underwear-model/)

500N
12th Nov 2013, 18:42
"lager louts."
You mean those who drink too much, are rowdy and smash up things ?
Like Officers messes and pianos ;)

I wouldn't mind having his millions and having Victoria as a bed partner every night !

cavortingcheetah
12th Nov 2013, 18:48
Quite so and one suspects that La Posh might have access to a certain ingenuity in the department of the bedchamber. To say more would be to reveal sources whose identities must remain secret.

TURIN
12th Nov 2013, 20:09
one suspects that La Posh might have access to a certain ingenuity in the department of the bedchamber. To say more would be to reveal sources whose identities must remain secret.

Now that is just not fair.

Tell us more. :E

Mr Chips
12th Nov 2013, 21:52
Seldomit was the post. To suggest that this man has contributed more to the country than anyone here is just ridiculous

Seldomfitforpurpose
12th Nov 2013, 22:25
Seldomit was the post. To suggest that this man has contributed more to the country than anyone here is just ridiculous

Really? We'll let's get folk in here to offer up their efforts for comparison which was what my original post suggested :p

I gave mine earlier and I will happily concede that despite a lifetime in the military yadaa yadaa yadda I have achieved nothing even remotely as significant as Mr Beckham has, and I certainly was not instrumental in delivering the likes of the Olympics.

Your turn :ok:

500N
12th Nov 2013, 22:33
Are we seeing a bit of the Tall Poppy Syndrome showing through,
something that shows up a lot in Aus ?

What is wrong with someone who wasn't born with a silver spoon
in his mouth, having a bit of talent and working hard to improve
his skills and everything else in his life ?

At least he knows to keep his mouth shut and how to dress,
even if he did come from the wrong side of the tracks which
is more than can be said for some others with a title.

And if he was such an oik and didn't have discretion, why would Prince William
be associated with him and why would the British gov't use him to front the world on behalf of the UK ?

Tell me, what has Sir Paul McCartney done in his life apart from
being one of the Beatles and playing guitar and singing ?

Avitor
12th Nov 2013, 22:38
He's done nothing to merit the honour in my opinion.

500N
12th Nov 2013, 22:39
And what is your view of "Sir Paul McCartney" ?

Avitor
12th Nov 2013, 22:43
@500N...."Tell me, what has Sir Paul McCartney done in his life apart from
being one of the Beatles and playing guitar and singing" ?

Easy...he's a veggie and as green as grass. In other words, he's nuts. He's not bothered one bit about putting butchers on the dole.

500N
12th Nov 2013, 22:48
I don't like Greenies at the best of times :O

But does Sir Paul deserve his knighthood ??????

Seldomfitforpurpose
12th Nov 2013, 22:56

For what he and the other 3 achieved I would say so :ok:

muppetofthenorth
12th Nov 2013, 23:23

He deserves nothing.

And yet, his involvement in numerous charities of varying national and international stature - some of his own (or his team's) creation - will have gained far more publicity and, in turn, greater revenue for those charities than any one single 'normal' charity member.

It's easy to sneer that he doesn't do anything like the same things as the regular time-giver upper, but does it not stand to reason that that's because he knows he can do more for a charity by publicising it and getting others to donate and letting the experts spend that wisely, than by doing a couple of hours of elbow work?

And I think you're smart enough to know all that. But you just don't like him. Despite, I'll wager, never having met the guy. And, for someone who proclaims to be charitable, that's pretty poor.

Seldomfitforpurpose
12th Nov 2013, 23:32
And yet, his involvement in numerous charities of varying national and international stature - some of his own (or his team's) creation - will have gained far more publicity and, in turn, greater revenue for those charities than any one single 'normal' charity member.

It's easy to sneer that he doesn't do anything like the same things as the regular time-giver upper, but does it not stand to reason that that's because he knows he can do more for a charity by publicising it and getting others to donate and letting the experts spend that wisely, than by doing a couple of hours of elbow work?

And I think you're smart enough to know all that. But you just don't like him. Despite, I'll wager, never having met the guy. And, for someone who proclaims to be charitable, that's pretty poor.

Priceless, absolutely priceless and a very astute analysis :ok:

Krystal n chips
13th Nov 2013, 03:24
For those on here unable to grasp a simple, but salient fact, do read this article which will explain your infatuation and adoration of a former footballer and then, try and make the correlation between yourselves and the word.....gullible.

The Power Of Branding (http://www.investopedia.com/articles/financial-theory/11/branding-ultimate-economic-moat.asp)

The last paragraph is the most definitive and the link at the end also has a relevance.

On the other hand, for the moment at least and indeed we can only hope this moment extends into perpetuity, the knighthood is media speculation.

Nothing more

There is of course, the possible irony that the presence of self styled "Posh" will prove sufficient to negate the proposed award anyway.

etrang
13th Nov 2013, 04:30
Well, Chips, I think you're right here.

tony draper
13th Nov 2013, 07:12
I think this country is equally divided into two sects,those who for some strange reason think the sun shineth out of this blokes arse and the other, (me included) who are baffled by the rise to godhood of a bloke who was reasonable footballer among hundreds of reasonable footballers.
Why we ask ourselves?
:confused::rolleyes:

Seldomfitforpurpose
13th Nov 2013, 08:17
For those on here unable to grasp a simple, but salient fact, do read this article which will explain your infatuation and adoration of a former footballer and then, try and make the correlation between yourselves and the words.........Respect for boy done good.

Think it reads a little better without the massive tinge of green :ok:

Avitor
13th Nov 2013, 10:59

No! neither him, Beckham or 'Baldrick'

500N
13th Nov 2013, 11:04
Re "Baldrick" and his side kick, I did laugh yesterday when I left this thread having typed those words, I read the Daily Mail or the Mirror and there was Baldrick's side kick getting knighted !!!