View Full Version : Dubai Air Show 2013

Gulfstreamaviator
11th Nov 2013, 04:59
That's started the thread.

I am planning to visit on 17th, a trade only, only day...
I was planning to drive, but the warning of limited car parking, in the worlds biggest airport, in the middle of a sand pit, and so much open space did concern me slightly.

Otherwise will park at Ibn B mall and bus from there. Might be best, and shortest bus ride.........

Dubai one TV will be live each day, but I would like to visit anyway, just to meet some old and some very old friends.

glf

flaphandlemover
11th Nov 2013, 11:28
Count me in.. i will be there...:ok::ok:

helen-damnation
11th Nov 2013, 19:48
Probably won't bother this year, $60 at the door I believe :hmm:

Kapitanleutnant
12th Nov 2013, 07:27
Any EPC or Platinum Card discounts??? :-)

allaru
12th Nov 2013, 07:36
In response to your request for tickets...in a nut shell NO... EK pilots are not invited,,,you can join the plebs on the public day so F..Off.

We havn't got tickets for the airshow since the days when leroy use to organise them for us.......leave the show to the bean counters, and other wannabes

Wizofoz
12th Nov 2013, 08:42
Al Ain is a much better show for the enthusiast.

Gulfstreamaviator
18th Nov 2013, 16:28
No desire to see the display. was there just to go to Gulfstream Conference.

The road signs on 611 were very clear, the new access to the Peri road were functional.

The car parking was a fiasco.

As predicated very limited parking, but the overflow parking was fine, lots of busses, and me.

The advance ticket service was very good, and ID card issued, no fuss. But no lanyard. Solved by Mr BP, first freebee.

Several toilets U/S, and patchy internet service.

For a trade only day, rather a lot of local children.

I chatted to some exhibitors and was told the rush to exit was very confused, with the car parks spouting forth, slow........

In general a good venue. Lets see how the public days work out.

glf

pilotday
18th Nov 2013, 16:37
Seriously Emirates pilots, I saw some guys wearing their uniform to the air show as a visitor. You are not on duty....... :}

vfenext
18th Nov 2013, 17:53
They were not visitors! They were on duty!

givemewings
18th Nov 2013, 18:09
Duty can include promotional events, not just for cc you know...

Anyone went today? Thinking of checking it out tomorrow

Dubaian
19th Nov 2013, 03:53
the worlds biggest airport, in the middle of a sand pit

as demonstrated by the stopping of flying displays when the wind got up.

It's really noticable how much more blowing dust there is on the Dubai side of the border when you drive north from Abu Dhabi. All that greeenery AUH has planted does help.

pilotday
19th Nov 2013, 05:27
not the few I talked to...but who cares

Al Murdoch
19th Nov 2013, 06:36
You clearly do.

Dubaian
19th Nov 2013, 08:58
Tangmo (http://www.pprune.org/members/416438-tangmo) - perhaps it'll be the turn of the Military ??

Slightly surprised that given the record breaking size of the civil orders, there has been no discussion (at least that I've seen) here on PPRune.
Off course there is one airline we must not mention - but EK, QR & Fly Dubai also shelled out loads of purchase orders

pilotday
19th Nov 2013, 10:10
Al Murdoch You clearly do.

it was embarrassing to watch vendors make fun of EK guys wearing their uniform as visitors.

Reminds me of a joke,

"how do you know there is a pilot in the room? he will tell you"

In an EK pilots case, "he's too good to tell you, he'll show you."

givemewings
19th Nov 2013, 10:22
There was talk of maybe a new A380 order on other social media, just speculation though... I mean a new customer, not more EK...

GoreTex
19th Nov 2013, 12:24
99% of EK pilots don't bother to go to the show

Fromagio
19th Nov 2013, 12:39
My uniform is still at the dry cleaners which means that I can't go this year!!

Gulfstreamaviator
19th Nov 2013, 12:55
sorry....hat and coat.... glf

flaphandlemover
19th Nov 2013, 15:08
Went there today.... and sorry chaps.. not in Uniform.... My cap fell off and I couldn't find it... so I couldn't go in Uniform:}

The best and most open guys where the Gulfstream Gents on G450, G550 and G650 :ok::ok::ok:... Very nice to chat to and very open...

Second came the Falcon 7x and 900 gents:ok:

Bombardier was too stuffed up to properly chat to me... (maybe because I didn't speak french :} or was it the lack of uniform :})

Had a great day :ok::ok::ok:

Flying displays.. always a great experience:ok::ok::ok::ok:

Prince Rupert
20th Nov 2013, 03:02
Guys, do go and bedeck in your full regalia and resume. Heard Korean is gonna have a recruitment drive to poach EK/EY guys sometime during the show!

Super commuting contract and what do you know, things over at ICN is becoming like the sandpit operation with so many ex-EK s teaching the Koreans the emirati flight operation management techniques. Before you know it KAL gonna become an EK clone. But it is always nice to have something becoming so identical..........

Dubaian
20th Nov 2013, 04:32
Good article in yesterday's Times about the likely new pilot requirements arising from all these huge numbers of aircraft orders. (Will try to link but most of the Times is paywalled.)

Stalker_
20th Nov 2013, 12:46
There are people in uniforms that aren't even pilots, this is definitely not a trade event for aviation professionals more like a family day out in my opinion.

I went yesterday & today, I saw a chap with 4 bars on his shoulders we were waiting in line to see the 757 cockpit, I asked him what he was currently flying and his response was "oh I'm not a pilot I just put the uniform on for show"

Evanelpus
20th Nov 2013, 14:07
Shame this turned into a bitch fest:D, was looking forward to hearing what was happening (aviation wise) at the show.

givemewings
20th Nov 2013, 14:23
If you need to cool off a bit go hang with the National crew... good ac on that 757 Those cc have got their f/o trained, he was doing all the posing for pics! :}

If you want a gander at the EK A319 go chat to the reps in the Airbus chalet. Company ID helps. Got in when they were turning away others- corporate wear may have helped but saw plenty in the static displays in jeans etc.

A400M and the Poseidon were pretty impressive to watch. All the usual noisy jets :D

MD11Man
21st Nov 2013, 11:15
So I was there today and told, just like 100s others, to turn around and go back home; 'due to the bad weather everything is gone & cancelled'... Didn't hear it on the news before leaving, so too late.

Anyone else in this situation and heard anything on how to claim back the ticket price?

(Great start for DWC; roof that can't stand a rain shower...?!)

Guy D'ageradar
21st Nov 2013, 11:30
(Great start for DWC; roof that can't stand a rain shower...?!)

Unfortunately not the only building at DWC in that particular predicament!

White Knight
21st Nov 2013, 12:59
Closed for rain.... That's sad!

Imagine if it snowed one day:rolleyes:

Sydy
21st Nov 2013, 13:43
It was crazy inside! There was two water falls in the main area! On the air side, I saw at least three challets with second floor colapsed. No damage to any acft, to my knowledge...

After 11:30 the weather became quite nice on the air side, it was a shame for sure.

I know many exhibitors will claim at least 20% of money back.

See you next year, during Meba! (I will bring an umbrella!):}

All the best,

Sydy

CAYNINE
22nd Nov 2013, 04:27
Same same... arrived turned away, I would love my $50 bucks back.....(never will I pre register again) but this being Dubai....:D I haven't had a response to my email to the organisers..and quite honestly would be extremely surprised if I did.

$ donation once again....:ugh:

Gulfstreamaviator
22nd Nov 2013, 10:28
So as I actually made one visit, I assume I will only receive 50% refund, plus my petrol money, and dry cleaning bill for my uniform.....
and then I woke up..... glf