PDA

View Full Version : Australian Airlines Recruitment Update

cabinboy
9th May 2002, 23:53
Hi everyone,

for those who are interested there have been additional requirements and information posted on the australian airlines website --->

Australian Airlines will be recruiting in June of this year for the position of Flight Attendant. Selection processes will be held in Cairns, Coolangatta and Sydney.

All positions for this operation will be based in Cairns.

The details on how to apply for positions will be posted on our Website prior to being advertised nationally, on Saturday 18th May 2002.

In the meantime, to help you to determine whether you are at the starting point to make an application, the following minimum criteria applies:
Minimum age of 18 years
To meet our safety requirements:
Height within the range of 163cm and 183cms
Physically fit with the ability to swim 50 meters fully clothed and lift an aircraft door weighing 28kgs

Current Senior First Aid Certificate with 12 months validity at time of application
Responsible Service Of Alcohol 'Statement of Attainment' current at time of application
Passport that allows unrestricted entry to all Australian Airlines ports with a minimum of two years validity at time of application
Australian Permanent Residency or equivalent, or holding a visa that allows employment within Australia for a minimum of two years at time of application
Australian Higher School Certificate or equivalent
Eligible to hold an Australian Aviation Security Card
Excellent personal grooming
Preference will be given to applicants who hold an advanced level of fluency (minimum level 4) in one of the following languages - Japanese, Mandarin or Cantonese. See the University of New South Wales Institute of Languages web site for more information about language proficiency requirements.
Applicants will be required to provide proof of the above during the selection process. Our criteria may vary as our operation develops. As well, applicants will demonstrate their ability to perform the role to our standards, with a passion for and an understanding of Asian cultures, as well as outstanding customer service delivery skills, communication skills and the ability to work as part of a team.

Australian Airlines is wholly owned by Qantas Airways Ltd but managed separately and operated independently of Qantas. Separate conditions of employment will apply for Australian Airlines employees. Employment with Qantas or other subsidiaries will not be possible, without first resigning from Australian Airlines.

Updated: 9th May 2002 at 1630

From www.australianairlines.com.au

FloatJockey
10th May 2002, 08:04
Thanks for that Cabinboy!

Do you have any idea how many c.c. they will be recruiting?

Mrs. FloatJockey

vdd
12th May 2002, 11:58
Hi

Further to Mrs Floatjockey's question and just out of curiosity..... does anyone from Qantas know if many QF F/As are interested in leaving QF and pursuing F/A positions with Australian Airlines?

Cheers

galleygirl
12th May 2002, 23:55
I heard through the ever 'trustworthy grapevine' that the base salary for PSR is around A$26K and for FA A$22K, is there any truth to this??? If so, I doubt many mainline QF will be interested in applying.

stormywx
13th May 2002, 01:40
That is less then QF regionals and also less then Jetconnect in NZ, you sure that is accurate??

cabinboy
13th May 2002, 04:32
galleygirl,

I think you will find that the Australian Airlines F/A salary will be somewhat similar to the current virgin/impulse EBA agreement. I reckon around 35K for F/A and perhaps 42K for CSM's.

They wouldn't go as low as 26K, it's not worth it...especially the people who will be relocating from SYD for it !

Mrs Floatjockey - I have no idea how many they are recruiting sorry ! But if they are starting up with 2 aircraft then think about the maths maybe, 7 f/a's per a/c for each flight to keep the aircraft going on a 7 day roster, I reckon around 25-30 for the initial ground school.......I'm just guessing !!

regards
CB

Cart_tart
13th May 2002, 05:07
With us it's 4 crew per a/c - if Australian stick with that then it would have to be somewhere in the vicinity of 28 crew per a/c therefore 28crew x 2a/c = 56. We work on minimum crew on each a/c and I am assuming they will do the same to keep costs low. They will definitely need to employ more than 30 initially due to things like minimum rest requirements, sickness, max hours etc. Also would depend a lot on how often the a/c are flying. If they aren't flying every day then they could get away with having less crew.
Who knows. Will have to wait and see I guess!

cabinboy
13th May 2002, 08:23
Cart_tart,

Once again you have proven that you are definetley more than a pretty face !!

It will interesting to see what colour the uniforms are, and outback red colour with aboriginal prints perhaps ? Surely we'll see an acrubra hat as part of the uniform...or will will that be part of our new Qantas uniform ? G'DAY !

CB

Cart_tart
13th May 2002, 09:53
Lets hope they don't go in the way of the FLORALS that we had at NJS a million years ago! Actually even better than the florals was the burnt orange mid thigh length SHORTS that were worn with high heels, a hideous print shirt and a dogs bowl hat. mmmmmm tasty!
Speaking of uniforms....I wonder who the designer is going to end up being for our new QF uniforms? I'm excited about that!!

CB...have you started yet?? : )

luv CT
xxx

cabinboy
13th May 2002, 10:04
Cart_tart,

That ex NJS uniforms sounds very stylish, I bet you still wear bits of that uniforms when you go out on a saturday night ! hehe

Finished ground school last week..phew ! First flight is this wednesday with an O/N on my first day ! I'm currently learning all my PA's off by heart !

xx

p.s - how is the sole male f/a going at NJS ? I'd be keen to hear how the poor guy is coping !

FloatJockey
13th May 2002, 15:17
I guess he loves it! (Especially if he is "straight"..)!!!... Hehehe :D

Thanks for the info! I don't speak ching-chong therefore I guess my chances with A.A. are slim... however trying then complaining is always better than a kick in the ... uh! :eek:

Mrs. FloatJockey

p.s. I'would be keen as mustard to relocate to Cairns though!

stormywx
15th May 2002, 05:48
Hi,

Denis Adams confirmed in a recent interview, that Australian Airlines staff numbers would be as follows;

All Cairns Base

Admin: 20
Ops: 10
Tech Crew: 65
Cabin Crew: 160

AO aircraft will be flown with 6 FA's (pending CASA approval).

Cheers
stormy

Wonderworld
15th May 2002, 07:36
ching-chong.....:rolleyes:

FloatJockey
15th May 2002, 11:00
Whaaaat?

Don't like the term? :D

Mrs. FJ

FloatJockey
15th May 2002, 11:54
C'mon... I'm joking. :p Sorry, I didn't mean to be offensive. I'm a bit of a free spirit sometime... :D

Actually I have a few questions for stormywx: do you have any idea how the interviews will be held? Can people turn up without appointment like with Emirates? Do people have to queue outside the room early in the morning until they get in or is it "pre-booked"?

Might sound like stupid questions but it has a lot to do with stress factor....

Thanks! Mrs. FloatJockey

vdd
15th May 2002, 11:59
Hello

Australian Airlines have as a requirement Year 12 or equivalent.

Does anyone know what is considered an equivalent? Other airlines and organisations consider the equivalent - so many years work experience etc. Does the same apply for Aust Airlines? Anyone know?

Thanks muchly

stormywx
15th May 2002, 12:03
Mrs FJ,

Sorry I don't know anything further about the interviews, if I do find anything out though I'll be sure to post it here.

vdd, (modified)

AO states Australian Higher School Certificate or equivalent for QF is based on NSW HSC or equivalent secondary education within another Aust state or overseas OR TAFE etc, not based on work experience.

Cheers

vdd
15th May 2002, 12:08
Thanks for that Stormywx

Cheers:)

stormywx
15th May 2002, 12:10
No worries good luck!

With the employment market for us low hour guys at the moment, unless something comes up I'll be applying too.... at least then i'll still be flying, making some money and can build my hours up other ways.

Ciao

vdd
17th May 2002, 11:59
Hey all

Flight Attendant position for Australian Airlines is now advertised on their website.

Good luck all!

Sunflower
17th May 2002, 15:05
Have looked at the Australian Airline Website and employment page is still showing that it has not been updated since 9th May. Unless my browser keeps loading an old page. Else Im looking at the wrong page?:confused:

FloatJockey
18th May 2002, 04:33
Try with the "refresh" button!

Anyway, just in case, this is the number to call 08/8278 0150
this Sunday from 8 am (EST) to book your interview. Locations will be Cairns, Gold Coast and Sydney. When u call (EARLY!), make sure u have all yr documents ready in front of you (HSC certif., RSA, SFA, etc.). They'll let u know where and when.

Good luck and hopefully I see you there! :D

Mrs. FloatJockey

FloatJockey
19th May 2002, 12:41
I don't want to create controversy on this site but I have the feeling I'm getting kicked in the butt even before getting a chance to give it a go... :mad:

I was one amongst a trillion people calling Australian Airlines this morning, 7:58 - documents in front of me and shaky legs... Drin drin... "Thank you for calling. (...) not started yet, try later"... " 7:59 - drin drin "Thank you bla bla bla... not started yet, try later:... ******! :rolleyes:

I wait a couple of minutes (still trashed from last night'party, ooohhh) and try again: tuut-tuut-tuut-tuut-tuut-busy-busy-busy- busy and so on till 8:55 (I dialled once every 8 seconds! I counted! Every 8 sec. for 55 mins. eeh... I might have tried around 600 times?? :eek: ) when finally, I get the answer machine asking me all sorts of details. I get to the passport question: "do you have OZ or Kiwi passport?" Eeeh, no. Then press 2! Next question: "Do you have foreign passport with PERMANENT RESIDENCY VISA?" Eeeh, not really.... :(

WELL, I PRESSED "YES" ANYWAY!!!

Last year I married an australian citizen and I have a visa class 820, stage 1. It is also called a "Spouse" visa. I have the "right" to work in Oz for 2 years on "probation" until Australia decides if my marriage is "good enough" for me to stay forever... :confused: I received 2 years temporary visa for which DIMA (Dept. of Immigration) took the liberty to check everything about me, like my eyes, my teeth, my ears, my back, my urine, my blood, my body allover, my past, my love-letters to my husband, the history of my relationship countersigned and "approved" by witnesses, my wedding album, my resume, my bank account, my police record, and I skip some unnecessary details...... It took them FIVE MONTHS and 1600 A$ to come out with a verdict! In two years, I can apply for permanent residency... for now, I have to deal with a temporary.
I'm not here to complain about DIMA, I'm just trying to draw a realistic picture of the situation...

For Australian Airlines, I'm not good enough... :confused:
Which part of my body shall I show you to get in????????

Yes I am bitter and yes I lied! I don't have permanent residency and I shall see you at your bloody interview anyway! :mad:
Lying to your answer machine doesn't bother me at all! I won't burn in hell for that! Nowhere in the Bible it is written that lying to a machine is a sin! :D

Pfiufff... I really needed to get that off my chest!

Mrs. FloatJockey

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lying, cheating and stealing are not in my recipe book for success, but if you push me to, then I will!!!...

vdd
19th May 2002, 12:56
Mrs Floatjockey

Do you think it might be worth phoning Aust Airlines tomorrow to let them know your situation, so they can make some sort of note about it next to your registration details? I'm just thinking that the people at the registration desk (if similar like QF interviews) they might request the correct documents and if they don't specifically see what they have been told to check off then you might not get a chance to explain and might be asked to leave.

Ex colleague went to a QF interview, and had just done a RSA certificate course, but his certificate was delayed so the course administration wrote a letter to stating that he had done the course, and passed. When he showed this at the interview (registration desk) they didn't accept it as it wasn't the Certificate. He wasn't allowed to proceed any further with the interview.

Just a thought......

smile
19th May 2002, 13:22
Mrs FJ,

A girl who went through my QF interviews last year didn't have her First Aid certificate up to date at the initial interivew, and she went on to be offered a position.

I'm not sure if that case is parrallell to yours, as having a permanent visa may be a legal issue. I hope there is a way around it and that you do well in your interview!!

Love SMILE:D

FloatJockey
20th May 2002, 10:25
Thanks for the support. I tried calling Australian today but that number still receives applications therefore I cannot let them know about my work permit. If someone has their phone number, please let me know!

I reviewed their website and this whole post 'cause I couldn't believe I didn't realize earlier about this issue and guess what?
On May 10th, their website mentioned as a min. requirement:

q u o t e:

Australian Permanent Residency or equivalent, or holding a visa that allows employment within Australia for a minimum of two years at time of application

u n q u o t e:

That wasn't mentioned over the phone during the registration!! Hopefully everything will work out fine...

Mrs. FloatJockey :)

Jerry Attrick
22nd May 2002, 05:08
If there's anyone from Australian Airlines HR reading this, please let us know if we will be wasting our (and your) time attending one of the walk in recruitment sessions if we aren't ex Ansett and don't speak any Asian languages. Thank you!

Tarantella
23rd May 2002, 15:09
I noticed in an earlier post that AA are supposed to want to operate the aircraft with 6 F/As pending casa approval:
Apparently the aircraft will be 767s completely configured economy class with 269 seats. This number of pax will require a minimum of 8 cabin crew due to the 1:36 rule for evacuation of an Aircraft.
It is very unlikely that casa will allow any deviation from this.

Also as far as the remuneration goes, sorry Cabin Boy - I don't think they'll take any notice of where anyone moves from - they'll offer a certain pay rate and people will take it or not. So many young (and not so young) people are so desperate to become F/As that they'd take anything. Besides the destinations are pretty good, so that may override any other considerations.

There is no provision to tranfer from AA to QF mainline either, so there isn't even a possibility to work your way across.
Still a job is a job isn't it? :rolleyes: