PDA

View Full Version : UTDD Dushanbe

Tekor Bali
10th Nov 2013, 08:54
anyone has been in this city recently? experiences, tips, political situation, dangers?
thank you

On standby
10th Nov 2013, 15:06
Make sure you deal Rusaero in Moscow. The local guy wanted $700 in cash from us, even though the handling had been done on our account. A phone call to Moscow sorted it but it was hassle. There is (was) another handling agent much better to deal with. I can't remember the name but also had an office in Cardiff!

There is a Hyatt Hotel, nice but it is very expensive (a coke and a burger was over $15.00). You will probably be staying at the same place as the pax.

Tekor Bali
10th Nov 2013, 16:50
Thanks for your answers, it is quite depressing to know that we'll be there a whole week and locked in a hotel. But really there was no wi fi? Good, maybe I'll go crazy on the third day there!

I.R.PIRATE
10th Nov 2013, 18:03
Oh there is lots to get up to in Dushanbe...

con-pilot
10th Nov 2013, 19:21
Oh there is lots to get up to in Dushanbe...

Too true, one could run into a doctor or two on the way to Dushanbe. ;)

spies like us - doctor - YouTube

Sorry about the long ad on the start. :\

PENNINE BOY
10th Nov 2013, 20:07
Dont worry about the city it is not a bad place, safe as most European city's and plenty of cheap restaurants and Irish Bars.

Good Hotel near the airport (Serena Hotel) the Hyatt is the other end of town.
Good bar on the run up the street from the airport, make sure you get your visa form (found in a rack once inside the terminal) and take your passport pictures to the immigration office, first right upon entering the hall. There is a VIP terminal to the right of the main terminal with a check in desk. Try and arrange to go through it as it is far less of a bun fight to go through.

Try contacting Asian Express Airlines in Duschanbe and ask for handling, good guys with good english.

Enjoy!
P.B.:ok:

CaptainProp
11th Nov 2013, 06:17
There is a Hyatt Hotel, nice but it is very expensive (a coke and a burger was over $15.00)

Considering some of the burger menus at BK are almost £7.50 or $12 in the UK I wouldn't say that $15 for a burger and a coke in a hotel is "very expensive".....

CP

Tekor Bali
12th Nov 2013, 16:25
From the US embassy website it does not seem a very safe country in 2013.
http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1037.html
Just my impression.

His dudeness
12th Nov 2013, 18:48
Was there in 2008. Boss was enthusiastic about business possibilities and said we would fly there more often. Few weeks later the proposed business partner was killed by other "businessmeny". Never went there again.

On a side note: the beds were as hard as rock. 4 Nights there and my back was more than sore...

dc9-32
13th Nov 2013, 07:54
Make sure you deal Rusaero in Moscow.

Cracks me up when people make statements like the above. Why would anyone use an agent in Moscow for handling in Dushanbe :ugh:

His dudeness
13th Nov 2013, 08:23
Because its more expensive ?

Seriously: at least they (RUSAERO) seem to be able to get in contact with local dudes and usually their supervision works.

I´m going to Russia and Kasachstan roughly 20 times a year and we mostly use RUSAERO.

dc9-32
13th Nov 2013, 10:29
I have no problem contacting the agent in UTDD as well as securing landing permission from the CAA. My last flight through there was with a single engine turbo-prop and went without a hitch.