PDA

View Full Version : Cameron wants to celebrate the start of WW1?

crewmeal
10th Nov 2013, 06:33
Words fail me. if it's true why would anyone want to spend millions on the start of any war. Does this mean we'll celebrate WW2 in 2019? Hold on we've missed the celebration of the start of the Faulklands conflict back in 1982. Anyway don't we do enough to commemorate these conflicts every year by holding Rememberance Sunday services!

Furious No10 demands apology from Jeremy Paxman for calling David Cameron a 'complete idiot' over plans for World War One centenary | Mail Online (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2496352/Furious-No10-demands-apology-Jeremy-Paxman-calling-David-Cameron-complete-idiot-plans-World-War-One-centenary.html)

"It was just Cameron’s clumsy use of language." This beggars belief!

Romulus
10th Nov 2013, 06:42
Celebrate is different to commemorate.

As we say so often "Lest We Forget".

Commemorate yes, let us not forget the horror that is war, and even more so let us not forget those who have ensured our current standard of living and all the freedoms associated with it through their willingness to endure those horrors.

Over the next 4 years understand what the Somme, the Pals battalions, Gas warfare, trench foot, gangrene and everything else really means.

And do it not from a politically correct viewpoint, do it from a genuine viewpoint of education.

Lon More
10th Nov 2013, 08:19
Cameron a 'complete idiot'
Nothing new there then.

Reading the article it seems that what Paxman actually said is somewhat different to what the Fail infers he said.
Nothing new there then

B Fraser
10th Nov 2013, 08:30
WW1 was started when a statesman was shot, perhaps we could have a re-enactment :E

Sallyann1234
10th Nov 2013, 08:32
There should be a special place in hell for people who accept what they read in the Mail and then copy it on forums like this.

Lon More
10th Nov 2013, 09:04
I wonder how many ex NotW journos are now employed by the Fail. All the news that fits.

tony draper
10th Nov 2013, 09:10
I understand the vermin in Brussels have demanded we do nothing special to commemorate the centenary lest it upset the sausage people,knowing the gutless tossers that inhabit Whitehall and Westminster they will probably obey,
Hopefully the EU will have collapsed by then anyway.
:rolleyes:

Krystal n chips
10th Nov 2013, 09:21
If Cameron is so keen to celebrate the carnage that was WW1,then he should be taken to any of the War Graves and Memorials, alone, on a freezing. drab, rain and windswept day in Winter and made to understand this is the result of politicians, career military and needless human loss of life that resulted when the two met.

I doubt if he, or any politician on the Right, would even have the acumen.

Sallyann1234
10th Nov 2013, 09:49
Where does the 'celebrate' come from?
I don't recall anyone suggesting it should be a celebration.
Certainly it should be marked as a reminder to all of us of the futility of war.

Edit to say : If there is anything to celebrate, it is the fact that thanks to the EU these wars have not been repeated.

handsfree
10th Nov 2013, 10:05
Surely it would be more apt to commemorate or even celebrate the end of WW1 and the carnage that accompanied it rather than the start.

603DX
10th Nov 2013, 10:34
Where does the 'celebrate' come from?

If the linked 'Mail' article is correct, it appears that attaching the inappropriate word 'celebrate' to the account was attributable to Jeremy Paxman, in commenting on Cameron's attempt to compare the recent Jubilee celebrations with the centenary of WW1 breaking out.

Clumsy, insensitive statements by both men, best ignored on this day of all days, Remembrance Sunday, as I type this with the solemn music from Whitehall live on the radio in the background.

I had two grandads, one I remember well as a cheery little fellow with a slight scoliosis of his spine which disqualified him from military service in both of the world wars. The other grandad I never knew, all I have of him is a solitary photograph standing proudly in his army uniform of the East Kent Regiment, 'The Buffs', on a souvenir card inscribed 'For King and Country - taken during the Great European War'. He looks a nice man, with a fine moustache, smartly holding his peaked service hat level in his right hand. I think I would have liked him, too.

But he lies in a neatly tended military cemetery in France, forever a young man, because real idiots of politicians and 'statesmen' in several countries in Europe also made clumsy, bombastic statements like Paxman and Cameron, and led countless thousands of young fellows like him to a premature death.

Lon More
10th Nov 2013, 10:36
I understand the vermin in Brussels have demanded we do nothing special to commemorate the centenary

Don't think so; can't find anything with GooGoo. Were it true I imagine Farrage would be screaming it from the rooftops.

It's actually a bigger thing in Belgium than it is in the UK as the whole county shuts down for the day

tony draper
10th Nov 2013, 10:41
Read the article on this very page Mr More,dont recall from whence it came but it exactly the kind of shite those scumbags would push.

TWT
10th Nov 2013, 10:47
I spent a day walking around the graveyards near Ypres (or Ieper) and they are vast.So many.A very sobering day.

Andy_S
10th Nov 2013, 10:52
Clumsy, insensitive statements by both men, best ignored on this day of all days, Remembrance Sunday, as I type this with the solemn music from Whitehall live on the radio in the background.

Thank you, 603DX, for being the first person to put this rather silly game of handbags into context.

Today isn't about the politicians or the press, so perhaps we can stop the political point scoring.

wiggy
10th Nov 2013, 10:56
I understand the vermin in Brussels have demanded we do nothing special to commemorate the centenary

Don't think so, there are even some official EU projects being run to mark the anniversary, e.g.

Mulitmedia library ?Europeana? to commemorate first World War - Euranet Plus inside (http://euranetplus-inside.eu/mulitmedia-library-europeana-to-commemorate-first-world-war/)

Lon More
10th Nov 2013, 11:58
A very sobering day

Indeed. A visit to the Menin Gate is also a very moving experience. The fallen are remembered there by the Last Post Association (http://www.lastpost.be/en/index/index/slug/home)on a daily basis.

racedo
10th Nov 2013, 13:23
http://www.pprune.org/military-aircrew/525167-jeremy-paxman-concerned.html

Thread was previously done on Military Aircrew Forum. Have asked Mods whether appropriate to combine them.

I have done Flanders last year and Somme this year and it is a sobering experience.

My littlie was interested in seeeing some of the photos after I returned as class was looking at WW1.

Of course fact I had photos was mentioned and got asked for a few.

Spoke to teachers and ultimately put together a "few" photos. 100 photos later combined with a friends photos and quite a number downloaded from media made a fairly decent presentation with narrative done in a way to last more than a few years. Teachers were delighted as shows a bit more than normal education material.

I admit to including details of Memorial to all paticipants because to not do so makes it too one sided.

I will defend Mail (much as I hate to do so), it has for months being running WW1 stories with photos which have on the whole been very very good and I never buy Daily Mail.

radeng
10th Nov 2013, 13:59
>Cameron a 'complete idiot'<

That, at least, is a truism.

Lightning Mate
10th Nov 2013, 14:49
...the Faulklands conflict

What was that please ?

baggersup
11th Nov 2013, 20:03
Often attend some of the courses Cambridge offers in the summer and alot of them are good offerings in history and literature--especially the Great War and WWII.

A friend who helps put the courses together told me they are having a helluva time forming all of their course work for 2014, including summer, because naturally the push is on to have a focus on the 100th year since the beginning of the Great War, and do alot of academic work on the topics.

Everybody she's dealing with is getting their knickers in a twist with folks terrified they will prepare a course that sheds any negative light on or do something that will upset the Germans.

She's at her wits end as a proper historian, trying to deal with all that coming down on her head from the PC brigade.

Cacophonix
11th Nov 2013, 20:24
If Cameron can't take a bit of personal heat then he shouldn't be in the kitchen or Prime Minister of a democratic country...

Thinking about it, he really isn't up to being the Prime Minister of any country but that's another point.

Caco

I think Paxo is stuffed there http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/smile.gif

Don't knock Paxo stuffing it makes chicken taste that much better! ;)

alicopter
11th Nov 2013, 20:38
Celebrating? Remembering? I wonder if lessons like wars will ever be learnt! If it was a victory over Nazi ideas, why is it that this morning, 11th November 2013, on the Sea Front Promenade where I live in East Anglia, I was greeted by a red sticker with black surround, less than 100 feet from 2nd WWar bomb craters, written in big, some white, some black letters, each side of the picture of a white blond kid smiling and waving his hand....
WHITE POWER.
We must secure the existence of our race... and a future for white children!
Read “Fecking Conmen Magazine” (not the real name of course, I do not want to give them any publicity!!!) with a website address and a phone number........

I thought that by now these kind of ideas and thinking was, like the KKK a thing of the past. Makes me sick and sad to see these ideas are still going around. Got the sticker off the panel and wish I could have caught the morron who spoiled my morning stroll and given him a feel of my size 44 boots on his arse... Rant over and sorry if I am slightly off subject. Al.

Cacophonix
11th Nov 2013, 20:47
Your whirl was entirely appropriate Alicopter...

Our great grandparents fought to ensure that our freedom and civilization would be free from the kind of crap that ruined your walk. Sadly many posters on this forum seem to forget that kind of thing when the rage or whatever takes them...

Caco