PDA

View Full Version : Opera

Cacophonix
10th Nov 2013, 03:25
As Caco descends into the hell of old age he starts reacting to this kind of shit...

6(16) Gala Homage to Plácido Domingo - BRYN TERFEL -Te Deum (Tosca) - YouTube

Is great music a sign of senility?

Caco

500N
10th Nov 2013, 03:29
No, it's not a sign.

Some Opera I have always loved.

Cacophonix
10th Nov 2013, 03:34
Some Opera I have always loved

500N

Angela GHEORGHIU - Vissi d'arte - Tosca - Puccini - YouTube

Caco

cavortingcheetah
10th Nov 2013, 05:47
Ah yes, if you want to watch an egotist so realistically mired in self pity and remorse then one could do no better than watch Callas in the role of Tosca. One which so well suited her.
Not much can compete though with performances by Melchior and Flagstad, if you've got the equipment with the filters. For real music heads, there's opera sung as oratorio. It helps to have seen a performance of the costumed version before the bare bones production. It enables a more fluid exercise of the imagination to course through the little grey cells.

Cacophonix
10th Nov 2013, 05:51
Ah yes, if you want to watch an egotist so realistically mired in self pity
and remorse then one could do no better than watch Callas in the role of Tosca. One which so well suited her.

Not much can compete though with performances by Melchior and Flagstad, if you've got the equipment with the filters. For real music heads, there's opera sung as oratorio. It helps to have seen a performance of the costumed version before the bare bones production. It enables a more fluid exercise of the imagination to course through the little grey cells.

Strauss - September - Kirsten Flagstad - YouTube

Caco

Fliegenmong
10th Nov 2013, 06:30
Waaay back when Fliegen was a 19 yr old, he had a 29 yr old Danish Sex Kitten Girl Friend.... :cool: ..... amongst other things she taught a young impressionable virulent Fliegen (:}) was to appreciate Opera :ok: I really do enjoy some of it, not all....and not all the time....but yes, it is good, especially live and appreciating the way they can project their voice and the sound....Wow!!

probes
10th Nov 2013, 06:53
Is great music a sign of senility?
absolutely. The older I get the more I need of it, classical I mean. Somehow I prefer vocal live, but instrumental - almost any time. Especially symphony orchestras. That clearly is not normal. :\

StressFree
10th Nov 2013, 07:52
Bloody hell, this is becoming embarassing but for the third time in two days I have to agree fully with Caco.

Spot on Caco, spot on :D:D

500N
10th Nov 2013, 08:01
Where I go hunting in the NT which really is the back of beyond, one Christmas during some downtime my mate was having an afternoon kip (after a liberla amount of Gin). I was doing likewise.

Anyway, a few hours later this tremendous noise was coming from that are of the shed and as I approached, everything else around the farm was silent but you could hear at full volume this Opera being played. Not long after that finished,
I think he put on some Wagner.

Both sounded so good, no modern city living crap to get in the way
of it, just pure sound :ok:

OFSO
10th Nov 2013, 08:47
OFSO and Mrs OFSO have been opera fans for years. Me Mozart, she was a Pavorotti groupie.

This lady, Sondra Radvanovsky, is one of the best of the new generation. Have seen her sing several times, you get goosepimples.

Sondra Radvanovsky - Bellini - Norma - Casta Diva - YouTube

PLovett
10th Nov 2013, 09:11
Live opera is just brilliant, leaving aside Wagner, recorded opera is good but it takes the visual aspect to lift it to its greatest heights. Some arias leave me with tears running down my cheeks because they can move me so much.

Mind you, I had probably one of the best introductions to opera while I was in the UK in '74 & '75; my cousin took me to Covent Garden to see "La Forza Del Destino and later, a very good friend invited me to Glyndbourne to see "Cosi Fan Tutte". A lot of fun.

El Grifo
10th Nov 2013, 13:25
Closest I ever got Caco.

Love it though :ok:

malcolm mclaren - madame butterfly (hq) - YouTube

pigboat
10th Nov 2013, 15:50
INGB4tFvHwY

Ozzy
10th Nov 2013, 15:59
Opera? Ok, she is a fat black opinionated stupid person, but she aint all bad. Oh "OPERA"?

sorry

Ozzy

Flash2001
10th Nov 2013, 17:20
Callas had larger cojones than most men. When performing, I think La Traviata, she missed a high note, stopped the performance, rewound herself (And the orchestra) a few seconds and hit the note. Good for her!

After an excellent landing etc...

cavortingcheetah
10th Nov 2013, 17:22
Really?
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2013/11/04/article-2487337-192EB8D300000578-402_634x518.jpg

Callas also, or so it is rumoured, having despatched Scarpia, set her wig on fire.

MadsDad
10th Nov 2013, 18:43
Best opinion of Opera I've ever seen, courtesy of Mr. Pratchett:-

“Well, basically there are two sorts of opera," said Nanny, who also had the true witch's ability to be confidently expert on the basis of no experience whatsoever. "There's your heavy opera, where basically people sing foreign and it goes like "Oh oh oh, I am dyin', oh I am dyin', oh oh oh, that's what I'm doin'", and there's your light opera, where they sing in foreign and it basically goes "Beer! Beer! Beer! Beer! I like to drink lots of beer!", although sometimes they drink champagne instead. That's basically all of opera, reely.”

Plus his comment that the Opera, which sounds so posh when sung in foreign, is generally actually banal in the original.

Ozzy
10th Nov 2013, 19:32
I like Mr Pratchett, however using the word "basically" in two consecutive sentences is unforgivable.

Ozzy

wiggy
10th Nov 2013, 19:42
Some arias leave me with tears running down my cheeks because they can move me so much.

This might make you get all teary ( probably cos of the subtitles if nothing else):

Shawshank Redemption: A scene of Mozart's Aria from Le nozze di Figaro - YouTube....

This (badly edited) piece will, I guarantee, start many Brits of a certain age howling with tears:

Lothar Matthäus consoles Chris Waddle after 1990 penalties - YouTube

vulcanised
10th Nov 2013, 20:46
An old favourite:-

Chap gets dumped by girlfriend of long standing and she refuses to explain.

He protests that, if only for their years together, she owes him that much.

Finally, she relents and tells him it's because he is so uncouth.

"Uncouth ! Uncouth !", he shouts.

"I take you to the opera and the ballet and all that bleeding shit".

radeng
10th Nov 2013, 21:04
My favourites are 'comic opera' or as Sir W. S. Gilbert described it 'comic vulgar farce'. That is Gilbert and Sullivan. Then comes Offenbach (Orphee dans l'infer), Bizet (Carmen), Rossini (Barbieri de Sevilla) and Mozart (Nozze de Figaro).

Ballet? Enjoyed the Sleeping Beauty at the Bolshoi in Moscow.....Not so sure about Les Sylphides in London.

Hey, I'm an engineer, and by definition, a Philistine!

Flash2001
10th Nov 2013, 21:27
All good Radeng. If you want to appreciate opera at all, the first few you hear should contain good music, I'd add Faust to the list.

After an excellent landing etc...

radeng
10th Nov 2013, 21:50
Really can't get on with 'Madam Butterfly'.

Quite like 'La Traviata' but can't say it's one of my favourites.

pj67coll
10th Nov 2013, 22:18
Oper ist Wagner und Wagner ist Oper.

- Peter.

PLovett
10th Nov 2013, 23:27
Oper ist Wagner und Wagner ist Oper.

:yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk::yuk:

Mushroom_2
11th Nov 2013, 09:58
Opera - Italians arguing to music.

603DX
11th Nov 2013, 13:12
The Dutch had the right idea for a fine summer evening - organise an open-air concert in the middle of Amsterdam's canal system, with a superb group of musicians and a delightfully talented young soprano, and provide a programme of much-loved music from favourite operas for the happy family audience to enjoy. Like this piece from Mozart's Cosi Fan Tutte:

YcqKXq3YwaE

Blacksheep
11th Nov 2013, 13:26
I like Mr Pratchett, however using the word "basically" in two consecutive sentences is unforgivable.It was Nanny Ogg who said it, so you'd better watch out. There's no telling what might happen when one criticises a witch. :=

rgbrock1
11th Nov 2013, 13:49
500N wrote

Some Opera I have always loved.

Really? Hm. Oddly I always supposed that Opera is for fags. :}

Loose rivets
11th Nov 2013, 14:40
Danielle de Niese. She got me wondering about her bloodline. Fascinating. Easy to see how this could produce such exquisite beauty.

The Burghers are a Eurasian ethnic group, historically from Sri Lanka, consisting for the most part of male-line descendants of European colonists from the 16th to 20th centuries (mostly Portuguese, Dutch, German and British) and local women, with some minorities of Swedish, Norwegian, French and Irish.

603DX
11th Nov 2013, 16:14
Danielle de Niese. She got me wondering about her bloodline. Fascinating. Easy to see how this could produce such exquisite beauty.

Agreed, LR. And if it wasn't already the most extreme good fortune to be the owner of the world-famous Glyndebourne Opera House, the Englishman Gus Christie managed to capture her heart and make her his wife.

Truly, some folk seem to be blessed by the gods ... ;)

Fliegenmong
12th Nov 2013, 13:27
In Oz in the 1980s no one had ever heard of this group, (I had the album :cool:) and to be fair I'd forgotten them for 20 odd years....she had a lovely voice...

Cocteau Twins -- Blue Bell Knoll - YouTube

603DX
12th Nov 2013, 13:34
Opera comes in many forms and languages. Here is the beautifully deep mezzo-soprano voice of Elina Garanca, singing the earthy role of Carmen in Bizet's sexy masterpiece, in French (with English subtitles):

-Y5YRDUxGC8

cavortingcheetah
12th Nov 2013, 13:56
Consistently voted one of the #1 places in the world to live.
Vienna Concerts, Vienna Operas, Strauss and Mozart Concerts in Vienna. Tickets for all Concerts in Vienna (http://www.viennaconcerts.com/?gclid=CKqikIiz37oCFfMdtAod7mYASg)
The quality and diversity of musical life is not restrained.

pj67coll
12th Nov 2013, 14:15
http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/pukey.gifhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/pukey.gifhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/pukey.gifhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/pukey.gifhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/pukey.gifhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/pukey.gifhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/pukey.gifhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/pukey.gifhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/pukey.gifhttp://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/pukey.gif

Phillistine.

- Peter.

603DX
12th Nov 2013, 14:44
If you insist on indicating your disapproval about something or other with multiple 'pukeys' and an accusation that someone is a Philistine, at least be good enough to spell it correctly.

Lonewolf_50
12th Nov 2013, 14:51
Die Fledermaus

Saw a live performance of this at University of North Texas (a very music place) "in the round" and it was brilliant. Good comic opera. Daughter got a "first alternate" for her audition, hence did not get to attend their much respected music program.

G & S: opera as it should be

Wagner: if anyone is left alive at the end, it was a comedy

Marriage of Figaro: too long, but some lovely music

Don Giovanni: enjoy it, and saw it live as a boy

Barber of Seville: best baritone aria of all time. (OK, one of the best)

pj67coll
12th Nov 2013, 15:12
If you insist on indicating your disapproval about something or other with multiple 'pukeys' and an accusation that someone is a Philistine, at least be good enough to spell it correctly.

Phillllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllistine. :)

- Peter.

tony draper
12th Nov 2013, 15:24
I like this, prolly piss orf the purists though,the Lass can sing, but she int getting her marbles back.:rolleyes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46JIyXxLAF0

603DX
12th Nov 2013, 15:58
Very, very nice Tony. I enjoyed that, maybe 'cos I'm not daft enough to be a purist myself, really good music of all kinds speaks for itself.

And Nana has always ranked with Sophia Loren in looking beautiful with or without her specs on, in my opinion.

You're right about not letting her lot have the Elgin Marbles back too, I mean to say, we've got a receipt for them (from the Turks during their military occupation!). ;)

603DX
12th Nov 2013, 18:15
Last one for today from me, this is an absolutely magnificent performance by orchestra and Elina Garanca, of the Chanson Boheme from Act II of Carmen - it starts quietly, but watch out!

Y_akISFlCw4

Just an afterthought - if you don't watch this full screen, you will miss the tremendous atmosphere in that concert hall!

radeng
12th Nov 2013, 18:30
I like 'Die Zauberflote', too. Especially Papageno's solo

cavortingcheetah
12th Nov 2013, 18:45
For those who have been accused of Philistinism, perhaps it should be pointed out for their benefit and erudition that it is perfectly possibly to buy compendiums of Wagner's operatic music, without the vocal effects. So may one enjoy that composers beautiful and uplifting music soaring in the imagination to the rafters of Neuschwanstein's Sängersaal. The delights of his full operatic effects may be saved until one has the time, upon one's own death bed, to savour the full magnificence of the German master's compositions.

radeng
12th Nov 2013, 21:42
Surely a (if not the most) magnificent one from Wagner is the 'Ride of the Valkyrie'.

tartare
13th Nov 2013, 01:10
...especially in a UH-1 at 100 knots and 100 feet...:E

500N
13th Nov 2013, 01:18
With some machine guns firing either side :ok:

Cacophonix
13th Nov 2013, 01:23
Philip Glass: Metamorphosis (full album: 2006), piano Branka Parlic - YouTube

Caco

MagnusP
15th Nov 2013, 15:28
I'll confess to being a bit of a late convert to opera, but an enthusiast nonetheless. I even have MrsP tolerating my wish to attend the open-air opera at the Verona Arena when we're over in Italy for the summer hols. I was always into classical music, especially symphonic (I was a boy soprano 2 years running in Mahler's 8th with the Edinburgh Festival Chorus), but opera only hove into view in the past decade or so.

Loki
15th Nov 2013, 17:43
One prefers opera of the baroque era....more elegance and charm IMO

Hh4kBNAS76c