PDA

View Full Version : VA upgrade with miles policy

Straighten Up
9th Nov 2013, 21:39
I have 50-odd thousand VA flying club miles and want to use them to upgrade a return from LHR-LAX from economy to upper. If I search for just reward flights the system shows very little availability (1 or 2 seats!) in the entire month I want to travel (March 2014).

If however I buy an M class ticket, will I be guaranteed to be able to use my points to upgrade (I know this is an upgradeable fare class) assuming upper is not already full, straight after I make the booking or is the availability of miles only ticket purchase seats the same as miles upgrade ticket seats? I'm out of the UK at the moment so not able to call them.

Any help appreciated.

PAXboy
9th Nov 2013, 22:46
My experience with VS and BA has always been that:

They have one allocation of seats that are for pure miles purchase
They have another allocation of seats that are upgradeable
Give them some cash - and you will get more bangs for your buck!

If you buy the cheapest Economy fare - it is not upgradeable with anything. So you have to buy a Y ticket that costs more than the basic, in order to use your miles. This change came about quite some years ago and cannot be got round.

The consensus of these forums has always been that using miles for an upgrade is just about the best value you can get. OF COURSE, there are a million variations by each carrier and their own scheme and any offers they might be running.

Yes, you will have to pay taxes in cash.

Straighten Up
10th Nov 2013, 12:07
Thanks pax