PDA

View Full Version : RAM upgrade

roach
9th May 2002, 20:54
Hope someone can advise me.
I am trying to increase my RAM from 68 by putting in a 128 Mb chip into my last remaining slot, the other two taken up by two 34 Mb each but it is not accepting it. The motherboard is 63 Mhz and the new RAM PC 100 but I thought this was OK. The PC is a P II 300Mhz.
Someone has said check the BIOS settings but this is beyond me without step by step help. I have already tried swapping all the RAM into different slots so I guess it is posible the 128 chip is faulty. I am only a learner driver so answers in words of one syllable ( well two maybe ) please !

RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike
9th May 2002, 21:19
You really need to check the motherboard manual that (hopefully) came with your computer. It will tell you about what types of RAM you need, and what restrictions (if any) there are on which slots you can use them in. It will also tell you about any BIOS changes you may need to make.

If you don't have a motherboard manual, you should be able to download one from the manufacturer's website.

HTH,

DS

tony draper
10th May 2002, 06:22
Some types of ram will not mix some will, your best bet would be to bin the 2 32 meg chips and try the 128 chip by itself in slot 0.
I had 100mgz ram running a 66mgz no prob, in fact the bloody thing wouldn;t run at 100, bought it a computer fair. it was branded and markes as 100mgz ram.
A 300mgz chip deserves a lot more ram than 64meg nowadays