PDA

View Full Version : How dumb are you actually?

probes
8th Nov 2013, 08:33
- as global issues and tendencies have been discussed in several threads:

BBC News - Hans Rosling: Do you know more about the world than a chimpanzee? (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-24836917)

I got 3 correct - one because I've seen Rosling's best-stats-TED-talk (linked in the article, too), one was a lucky guess and one just happened :uhoh::).
The fact that humans do worse than chimps shows the problem is not a lack of knowledge, but the result of having preconceived ideas, Rosling says - ideas that are years, or sometimes decades out of date.
https://s.yimg.com/ok/u/assets/img/emoticons/emo10.gif

PTT
8th Nov 2013, 08:40
I read that bit you quoted first and chose the lease intuitive answer each time. 8/9.

The income one was misleading in that the scale on the chart is logarithmic (or at least a lot closer to logarithmic than linear). Were the scale linear it would look more like the top chart.

Capetonian
8th Nov 2013, 08:43
4/9. Mostly guesses.

onetrack
8th Nov 2013, 09:13
Applying some chimp-like thoughtfulness, I got 7 out of 9 - which puts me in the category of a Great Ape, according to the survey. I'm not sure if that's a compliment or not. :confused:

I failed on the "average life span", and the % of wind-generated power. I would still like to argue the toss on those figures, as I believe the survey figures cannot be as accurate as they try to make out.
In the case of the wind-generated power position, the survey even comes up with a "guesstimate" that varies by 100%!

Gertrude the Wombat
8th Nov 2013, 09:23
All the "correct" answers are of course lefty-inspired BBC lefty propaganda from the left. (For American readers, just insert "liberal" a few times, you get the idea.)

Which you can tell easily, just ask any Daily Wail reader, they'll soon tell you all the "correct" answers are bo11ocks.

vee-tail-1
8th Nov 2013, 09:34
OMG! Why are you giving credence to this guy's nonsense? This is a really good example of lefty BBC propaganda, with the inference that anyone who disagrees is a chimp.
Look at his quoted sources ...
The UN, the WHO, the World Bank ... all really trustworthy and unbiased sources :rolleyes: :hmm:

Fox3WheresMyBanana
8th Nov 2013, 09:42
There is of course the bigger deception that these are the most important data about the World today by virtue of their being in this chimp test.

Odd, I don't recall ever comparing my students to chimps if they didn't know something. Maybe I should improve my teaching by adding it to my repertoire.

The SSK
8th Nov 2013, 09:43
As i get o;der, my typing ski8lls begimn to resemle those of yhe chimps bashing out the worksof Sahkepseare, so i guess there must be domething in it

603DX
8th Nov 2013, 10:14
8/9, but I had guessed that the title of Rosling's work "Five reasons the world is in better shape than we think" was a deliberately planted heavy clue to the technique expected to produce a high score ...

So I ignored any preconceptions or logic in my selections, and generally chose the most optimistic options. (In other words, I cheated!)

Yet another demonstration of the often-quoted advantages of age, experience, and low cunning in passing certain kinds of tests. ;)

ATNotts
8th Nov 2013, 11:51
OMG! Why are you giving credence to this guy's nonsense? This is a really good example of lefty BBC propaganda

Typical JB claptrap from the usual suspects. If it doesn't suit a particular point of view, and it's on the Beeb, it's "lefty propaganda"

The programme (sorry PPrune that's how it's spelt - realy) was interesting and entertaining, and leaving aside the ability of statisticians to make figures say whatever they want them to it was quite thought provoking.

Better than so much of the celebrity lead excuses for documentaries that the BBC runs these days!

rgbrock1
8th Nov 2013, 12:24
Fox3 wrote:

Odd, I don't recall ever comparing my students to chimps if they didn't know something. Maybe I should improve my teaching by adding it to my repertoire.

You should try it some time. On the next occasion one of your students gets a question wrong just say "You stupid chimp."

I'm sure that'll go over really well, no? :}

probes
8th Nov 2013, 12:34
depends on the mode - smilies on or smilies off :cool:.

Blacksheep
8th Nov 2013, 12:34
Five out of nine. I'm a Chimp!

Huh! Huh! Hooo!

Can I check you out for nits? Please?

pigboat
8th Nov 2013, 13:04
4 out of 9. I'm a chimp. Oot! Groot!

(Scratches armpits. Scratches ass, smells finger.)

rgbrock1
8th Nov 2013, 13:23
pigboat wrote

(Scratches armpits. Scratches ass, smells finger.)

You're not finished yet. One more task to perform.

You have to pick the bugs out of your mate's hair and look at them before popping them into your mouth and eating 'em. :ok:

Limeygal
8th Nov 2013, 13:37
I might need help with peeling bananas in the future :sad:

Ozzy
8th Nov 2013, 14:20
Who the fcuk is Hans Rosling?

Ozzy

Tankertrashnav
8th Nov 2013, 14:51
The programme (sorry PPRuNe that's how it's spelt - realy)

The programme (sorry PPRuNe that's how it's spelt - really)

Fixed that for you, ATNotts ;)

ATNotts
8th Nov 2013, 16:38
Tankertrashnav

Thanks very much - at least I got all the letters in the right order - just screwed up their cases - unlike the American language which generally screws up spelling of the Queens english. :D

rgbrock1
8th Nov 2013, 17:01
unlike the American language which generally screws up spelling of the Queens english.

Ah, had to get a little poke in there eh? Not that we Americans give a rat's ass about "Queens english" as we saw to it, a couple of hundred years ago or so, that we would no longer be under the King or Queen's tutelage.

603DX
8th Nov 2013, 17:21
Ah, but don't you miss us, rgb? We're quite lovable, really ... ;)

And anyway, aren't you going to have a go at the little nine-question test? After all, with their well known extensive knowledge of the world outside the borders of the USA, American citizens should "Ace" it!

lomapaseo
8th Nov 2013, 18:04
I never did find a link in that story to a nine question test. Just innane comments about some test.

mikedreamer787
8th Nov 2013, 23:45
Look at his quoted sources ...
The UN, the WHO, the World Bank

Would anyone ever doubt anything Keith Moon ever said?

cattletruck
9th Nov 2013, 01:57
1 out of 9, at least I'm human.

That Rosling person looks creepy to me, he's probably the sort of person that gets off telling everyone they're chimps. I bet he carries a set of calipers.

Tankertrashnav
9th Nov 2013, 09:05
Quote from Bomber by Len Deighton. Public schoolboy PO Sweet is talking down to his Aussie air gunner.

AG - "What kind of accent is that, skipper?"

Sweet (superciliously) - "The King's English"

AG - "I should hope he is with a ripe Pommy accent like that!"