PDA

View Full Version : Near Miss Shepparton

ZAZ
7th Nov 2013, 16:36
If you read this, the pilot of the Agplane heading 330 that crossed the track of the PA28 yesterday 7th Nov at 01:15 UTC tracking 242 SHT to BDG you are one lucky SOB.

No we are both lucky
To be alive.

I caught you in my peripheral visions at 10 oclock and 10 degrees high comig right at me.
large in size Blue and yellow long nose, could not see cockpit angle to high.
I was at 2100 climbing andyou maybe 2300 2400

All surealistic really, I dropped my nose wagged my wings and your shadow went over my head.

called on 121.1 CTAfs 118.8 CTAF and on area.

Lowest common denominators.

I had just done a 2 hour flight test and due to weather decided to vo VFR.
In this case it was strong winds turbulance and I needed to get home low and fast get to get to a fellow pilots funeral.
The flight nearly became my own.

responsibility to see and be seen.

As I sat in church yesterday at the service and listened to an instructors eulogy and the picture show of my friends flying career, looked at the coffin and the several hundred people attending I had this terrible feeling that...
no matter how many hours you fly or how good a pilot you think you are...
just how bad it is to die in a plane crash.

Can but imagine had we had a mid air in the week of three funerals of aviators of the effect on our fellow airmen.
Thanks God for the wake up call..

I am not even sure this scuttle web is the place to put this event.
I have filed a near miss report.
FWIW.
All too little too late IMO.
I took my eye off the ball had get home itis, cancelled my IFR plan and turned my back on Air Services radar and the so called protection margin it gives us.
And failed in my scan from horizon left to horizon right.
If I had stayed IFR I might have got the traffic as immediate traffic closing on me, but I chose to go VFR in the see and be seen territory and nearly did not see the plane approaching at right angles.
Im not sure how you are supposed to see a plane on your far left quarter coming at you at your left wing at 200km/h, but I did and we missed.

Safe flying stay sharp walk softly.

PPL
5000 hours
25th IFR renewal.
Still an old pilot (just).

Ascend Charlie
7th Nov 2013, 22:38
...and there I was, expecting to see a photo of you standing "near Miss Shepparton", the winner of a swimsuit contest.

I have had a few near-hits (they are all misses) over the years, some coming from behind the window pillars and others just popped up. All remind us that we are mortal and need our wits about us when airborne.

VH-XXX
7th Nov 2013, 23:04
It makes you realise that we aren't all perfect and it could all end in a split second. Just as it can in the car on the way to the airport.

I've had a few close ones....

Worst one was downwind in the circuit and a stray aircraft came from the opposite direction, almost the same height from left to right. Never saw it coming. If I'd had an aerial on the roof he would have hit it.

Another one, was climbing out after takeoff and said to the passenger, "I'll just lower the nose every few hundred feet to look around for aircraft" Pushed the nose forward to see someone coming almost head on (hidden behind the pillar).

Next worse, was flying with some aircraft on a fly-away. Mate did a radio call and to be funny said "4.2 miles" or similar... looked at the GPS and so was I.... he was hiding behind my pillar again. Those pesky pillars!

OpsNormal
7th Nov 2013, 23:36
We've all seen people doing silly, stupid or just not well thought out things. We've all also seen people doing things unwittingly or without intention such as fly enroute in 5-6 ship formation through a busy parachute DZ circuit without so much as a radio call while parachutes are raining down around them, watched as a opposite direction traffic loomed large in our cockpit windows while on downwind at a busy CTAF(R) while the culprit was off with the fairies on 126.7 while they should have been on the right CTAF frequency..... etc etc....

We are all human, let he or she who is without sin...

ZAZ
8th Nov 2013, 18:38
Miss Who?
Thanks Charlie

This week
Funeral Shep Monday pilot
Funeral Hamilton Thursday pilot friend
Sitting in church staring at a wooden box knowing thats for all of us
eventually
His instructor expounding his flying skills to be no more.
talking with father of the dead lancair pilot Thursday said his son should never have been flying that plane that crashed

Flight test Thursday 2 hours in 34C heat
near miss Thursday 40 to 100 feet at 340 km/h

Funeral Shep Friday pilot

**** happens
**** week in aviation

two choppers down
Dromadeirs all grounded in case wings are going to fall off.

havent told wife about my near mid air, yet she will prob ground me and Ill get hit by a bus

Hindesight Sort of puts life in perspective

ZAZ
8th Nov 2013, 18:56
Yes agree around SHT on the ERC you can see CTAFS on different frequencies

MNG and two ALAs on 121 and the Main SHT Ad on 118

Airborne and departing becomes a juggle of frequencies

Or is that a jungle

And I am now told that since the mid air on the Murray the ag work guys are flying 2500 North bound and 1500 south bound,
Glad I was only at 2000 in hindesight

But then flying quadrantals no real protection Below 5000

Sorry thats hemisphericals

Maybe we should go back to quads FWIW

:ok:

Derfred
8th Nov 2013, 20:42
near miss
noun

1. a narrowly avoided collision or other accident.
"she had a near miss when her horse was nearly sucked into a dyke"
synonyms: close thing, near thing, narrow escape, close call, nasty moment; informal close shave; informal narrow squeak
"two airliners were involved in a near miss yesterday"

2. a bomb or shot that just misses its target.
"he had escaped more than twenty near misses"

compressor stall
8th Nov 2013, 21:00
The "near" describes the type of miss. Ie It just missed. Otherwise you could say a far miss....

There's nothing wrong with the statement. It's geographic, not comparative.

in-cog-nito
8th Nov 2013, 23:07
Here's one that didn't miss.
Exclusive images show skydivers' terrifying collision and chaotic plunge - U.S. News (http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/11/04/21308806-exclusive-images-show-skydivers-terrifying-collision-and-chaotic-plunge)

ZAZ
9th Nov 2013, 18:14
Roger Roger.

yep it was a near miss that nearly didnt happen.

The experience of the guy going over casting a bloody great shadow over my plane as this fracking great yellow and blue turbine with a four bladed prop wooshed over the top of me and briefly and blocked out the sun was an experience indeed.

A bit like a bloody great B double on the HUME going by when you are towing a caravan...

My DOC Medico Aviation type gave me a lesson in primeaval peripheral vision yesterday in explaining why my cave man instincts saved me.

He said peripheral at best is 20% and only sees motion and colour.

Had I not seen motion it would have been coming right down my left wing and not moving so I would not have seen it and it would have taken me out.

Doc said because you saw it it was BIG and your brain registered the movement and maybe the colour, and you turned your head and looked for the threat.
As to whether anything I did saved me he said probably not, if I had time to eyeball the plane and descend and waggle my wings we had safe clearance.

Which is obvious isnt it..

ZAZ
9th Nov 2013, 22:18
Motion Induced Blindness

In a motor accident, wherein a speeding car hits a slower moving vehicle coming from the side, the speeding car drivers often swear that they just didn’t see the vehicle coming from the left or right.
Well, they aren’t lying. They really don’t see the vehicle coming from the side, in spite of broad daylight. This phenomenon on the car drivers’ part is known as “Motion Induced Blindness”. It is definitely frightening.

Once airborne, pilots are taught to alternate their gaze between scanning the horizon and scanning their instrument panel, and never to fix their gaze for more than a couple of seconds on any single object. They are taught to continually keep their heads on a swivel and their eyes always moving. Because, if you fix your gaze on one object long enough while you yourself are in motion, your peripheral vision goes blind.
This “heads on swivel & eyes moving” technique was the only way to spot other aircraft in the skies around.

A small demonstration of motion induced blindness.
Just click on the link below. You will see a revolving array of blue crosses on a black background. There is a flashing green dot in the centre and three fixed yellow dots around it. If you fix your gaze on the green dot for more than a few seconds, the yellow dots will disappear at random, either singly, or in pairs, or all three together. In reality, the yellow dots are always there. Just watch the yellow dots for some time to ensure that they don’t go anywhere!

http://www.msf-usa.org/motion.html (http://www.google.com/url?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.msf-usa.org%2Fmotion.html&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNEnEkCPcYktNqeSKg7oH8mMSwnkXg)

So, if you are driving at a high speed on a highway and if you fix your gaze on the road straight ahead, you will not see a car, a scooter, a buggy, a bicycle, a buffalo or even a human being approaching from the side.
Now reverse the picture. If you are crossing a road on foot and you see a speeding car approaching, there’s a 90% chance that the driver isn’t seeing you, because his/her peripheral vision may be blind! And you may be in that blind zone!

I was crossing traffic to the AG Plane to his right and down, from his elevated position and my track from SHT I should have been seen.
He was hidden behind the door pillar to me I think.
maybe I was under his wing when closer.
And we both were prob looking straight ahead through the widescreen not out the sides.
Maybe?

Tankengine
9th Nov 2013, 23:06
Lesson is: keep moving your head and eyes and look out!
There are gliders, ultralights, GA, military, birds etc etc.:ooh:

Old Akro
10th Nov 2013, 00:10
I used to fly rear cockpit in a Pitts with a WW2 trained Mustang pilot. His head would never be still during the cross country flights.

I find that the ATC guys to be pretty good with traffic warnings - even VFR. It makes me wonder if the croppy had his TXP on.

Agaricus bisporus
10th Nov 2013, 15:01
"she had a near miss when her horse was nearly sucked into a dyke"

Woohoo! I want the dyke's phone number. Puhleese!!

compressor stall
10th Nov 2013, 21:48
Motion induced blindness.

Yes - classic in a car when you come to an intersection. If the car on the cross road is doing a speed that will cause an impact, it will not appear to move in your field of view. Check it next time, watch how the crossing car stays in line with the bug or stone chip on your windscreen. Something to always be aware of.