PDA

View Full Version : Traditional surnames

Mac the Knife
6th Nov 2013, 15:53
"Students with traditional surnames such as Darcy and Percy have dominated the roll-calls at Oxford and Cambridge Universities since the Norman Conquest, a new study has revealed, sparking concerns over social mobility.

Despite the upheavals of the last 800 years, there have been Darcys, Mandevilles, Percys and Montgomerys at the two elite institutions for 27 generations."

Same names have attended Oxbridge since the Norman Conquest - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/universityeducation/universities-and-colleges/10413798/Same-names-have-attended-Oxbridge-since-the-Norman-Conquest.html)

Surely the answer is simply to ban "Darcys, Mandevilles, Percys and Montgomerys" from attending O & C (and perhaps any institution of higher education)?

Having a numerus clausus aut nullius for the children of privilege may seem a bit tough but after centuries of exploitation it would go a long way towards democratising our society.

Mac

:*

Dak Man
6th Nov 2013, 15:59
My surname is anglicised French which originates from the Norman conquest, I didn't go to either Ox. or Cam. perhaps my forefathers were black balled (not literally).

tony draper
6th Nov 2013, 16:02
Well, we can hardly inflict oinks on our great institution can we? I mean they wont know what knife and fork to pick up, never having seen them before.
:= :rolleyes:

Lightning Mate
But don't mention Christian names will you.

Might offend Muslims.

500N
2nd last paragraph sounds like lefty clap trap to me
and trying to get those without the right level of pass
marks into OxCam.

rgbrock1
6th Nov 2013, 16:26
Dak Man wrote:

My surname is anglicised French which originates from the Norman conquest,

Pepe le Pew?

Dak Man
6th Nov 2013, 16:37
Don't panic......the Brits will get it

Krystal n chips
6th Nov 2013, 17:02
" there have been Darcys, Mandevilles, Percys and Montgomerys at the two elite institutions for 27 generations "

It's more commonly known as incest, or inbreeding, outside the more refined social circles from whence they breed.

Elitism is another word that springs to mind.

G-CPTN
6th Nov 2013, 17:26
Family names only pass-down via the male line. What of the female family names? Do they get abandoned and lost to history?

It's all very well claiming descent from some chap, but, presumably, there were females involved?

G&T ice n slice
6th Nov 2013, 17:31
Oh gawd, more leftwing pinkoliberal commie claptrap.

We at the National Social & Democratic Action Party "have a little list"
(G&S Mikado)

603DX
6th Nov 2013, 18:41
Surely the answer is simply to ban "Darcys, Mandevilles, Percys and Montgomerys" from attending O & C (and perhaps any institution of higher education)?

Having a numerus clausus aut nullius for the children of privilege may seem a bit tough but after centuries of exploitation it would go a long way towards democratising our society.

Why stop at that, Mac? If you really want the glorious revolution, then send them off to the guillotine! :rolleyes:

At the bottom of the Telegraph piece is this little paragraph:

Those on the right of the political spectrum claim scrapping the grammar schools cut off the best route for talented students lower down the social scale to get to university.

And there lies the real reason that social mobility is static or declining. The massacre of socially (but not intellectually) egalitarian grammar schools by the left has pulled the ladder of advancement from under those from humble, ordinary backgrounds.

I went to a non fee-paying grammar school with the sons of the "butchers, bakers, and candlestick makers", and in the year that I left, 32 of us went on to good universities, 6 of these to Oxford or Cambridge. None of us were named Darcy, Mandeville, Percy or Montgomery, and we were able to get on in life to the best of our abilities, irrespective of the wealth or otherwise of our families, none of which were "privileged, elite" groups.

It is no surprise to me that this mean-minded, envious, typically leftist report comes from that bastion of class warfare, the LSE ... :*

TWT
6th Nov 2013, 19:04
603dx, the actual quote from the Telegraph :

Those on the right of the political spectrum claim scraping the grammar schools

'Scraping' when talking about grammar schools :p

603DX
6th Nov 2013, 19:14
Yes TWT, I had noticed that, and perhaps because I was very fortunate in being educated at a good grammar school, I corrected it ... ;)

TWT
6th Nov 2013, 19:26
What a pity that the standard of grammar demonstrated by news outlets has fallen so dramatically over the last few years.A lot of them have sacked or outsourced their sub-editors,halved their workforce and employed staff barely out of their teens as a cost saving measure.

rgbrock1
6th Nov 2013, 19:30
I don't think it's just a matter of grammar standards which have fallen by the wayside in news media-land. I do think it's a matter of standards period.

500N
6th Nov 2013, 19:32
RGB

Are you submitting yourself as a perfect example ? :O

G-CPTN
6th Nov 2013, 19:47
I frequently read texts in news reports that have been autocorrected by computer spell-checkers so there are words that are out of context (like the above example).

Any sub-editor should have spotted the error, but the texts are either not read through by humans or are read by illiterates.

It seems that the Comprehensive Schools have lowered the standards to the lowest common denominator rather than raising them to the erstwhile heights attained by the grammar schools,

I wonder if the practical skills that were the strengths of the Secondary Modern Schools have likewise been abandoned?

rgbrock1
6th Nov 2013, 19:54
It seems that the Comprehensive Schools have lowered the standards to the lowest common denominator rather than raising them to the erstwhile heights attained by the grammar schools,

A microcosm of society in general, no?

500n:

Watch my middle finger. See it rising from its slumber? :}:}:}

Blacksheep
6th Nov 2013, 21:06
"Students with traditional surnames such as Darcy and Percy have dominated the roll-calls at Oxford and Cambridge Universities since the Norman Conquest, a new study has revealed, sparking concerns over social mobility. Nonsense. Neither Oxford nor Cambridge universities existed until well into the twelfth century. The Ffrench usurpers have been studying there for quite a long time, though. Traditionally, the eldest inherited the land and title. The younger siblings either went off to war or entered the church. Or both in some cases.

tony draper
6th Nov 2013, 21:19
A good Northern name is Percy.:)
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a194/Deaddogbay/second%20album/Englands_North-3701951_zpsfcc971b3.jpeg (http://s11.photobucket.com/user/Deaddogbay/media/second%20album/Englands_North-3701951_zpsfcc971b3.jpeg.html)

G-CPTN
6th Nov 2013, 21:35
I frequently read texts in news reports that have been autocorrected by computer spell-checkers so there are words that are out of context
A headline from a current newspaper article:-
She's definitely not shire about coming forward.

Gertrude the Wombat
6th Nov 2013, 21:42
I mean they wont know what knife and fork to pick up
I have seen foreign visitors on high table at a college dinner carefully watching the natives before picking up their own cutlery.

500N
6th Nov 2013, 21:49
Very sensible as well. The chaperone should pick up on that
and "help" without "helping" !

tony draper
6th Nov 2013, 21:50
When in doubt just pick up the biggest spoon,peas are a doddle wi a spoon.:rolleyes:

500N
6th Nov 2013, 21:55
The one I remember was an Officers Mess dining in night, Salmon was served and talk about coping a mouthful of bones :rolleyes:

Try and extract yourself from that predicament without looking uncouth !

Union Jack
6th Nov 2013, 22:24
Family names only pass-down via the male line.

Not necessarily, recalling Walter FitzGerald and Gerald FitzWalter .....http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/src:www.pprune.org/get/images/smilies/eek.gif

Jack

parabellum
6th Nov 2013, 23:09
Does all this mean that some people at the LSE, possibly on tax payer funded grants, have nothing better to do than go through lists of former undergraduates names, What kind of a course is that? Isn't there something useful they could get on with?

reynoldsno1
7th Nov 2013, 02:37
Percys and Montgomerys
Wasn't the Springboks fullback a Percy Montgomery ... must have been a toff's toff...

MagnusP
7th Nov 2013, 11:13
Walter FitzGerald and Gerald FitzWalter

In a civil partnership, one assumes.

david1300
7th Nov 2013, 11:26
And there I was thinking it was Henry FitzPatrick and Patrick FitzHenry. Well, they didn't have any offspring at either O or C

vulcanised
7th Nov 2013, 11:30
Isn't there something useful they could get on with?

What, and break a fine old LSE tradition?