PDA

View Full Version : Old RB 211s/CFM-56s for educational use

Azhiwen
6th Nov 2013, 09:44
Hi all,

I am a lecturer at an educational institute teaching Aircraft Structures and Systems. As part of the team that is retrofitting the static displays in our training hall, we are looking to procure a used RB211 or CFM-56 for both educational and display purposes.

The engine does not need to be air worthy but should be free of rust marks and if possible made for training purposes, ie. allows for removal of components.

Does anyone know of any companies that deal with such equipment?

Thanks in advance.

mtoroshanga
8th Nov 2013, 10:21
May I point out that RB211s are used off-shore on production platforms so I suggest that retired aircraft units probably end up there.

Bye
11th Nov 2013, 20:35
the industrial RB211 is a very long way from one that flies.

i would suggest you get in touch with the RR learning centre in Derby, you should be able to find a contact on the website, if not let me know and i'll find you a contact.

The biggest problem you will have is that the metals are very valuable these days, so scrap value is high and they have a lot of precious metals hidden away for recovery, such as gold brazing etc so the melting pot is where most of them end up.

GB

Thrust Augmentation
13th Nov 2013, 01:03
The guy that runs one in his back garden may be able to advise;

Rolls Royce RB 211-22B | Jet Propulsion (http://jetpropulsion.co.uk/jet-engine-projects/rolls-royce-rb-211-22b)

mtoroshanga
13th Nov 2013, 15:55
I've got two little dogs next door that bark and wake me up at 05:00
thank God he's not my neighbour or I would be looking for a SAM7!!!

VFD
14th Nov 2013, 02:36
The guy that runs one in his back garden may be able to advise;
I need to borrow that RB211, fall has come and the leaves have fallen. That bad boy ought to blow the leaves into someone else's yard in seconds.:rolleyes:

VFD

NutLoose
14th Nov 2013, 11:09
Have you tried approaching the likes of RR, nothing ventured, nothing gained etc

The Rolls-Royce Heritage Trust - Rolls-Royce (http://www.rolls-royce.com/about/heritage/heritage_trust/)

bcgallacher
14th Nov 2013, 12:25
Try Air Atlanta Icelandic - they have scrapped Tri-stars and 747s over the last few years and may have something lying about taking up space. I believe some were scrapped in Malaysia.

matkat
14th Nov 2013, 13:59
Unfortunately as been said previously scrap engines are rarely that instead they become tear down candidates and are very sought after as such.

Azhiwen
14th Nov 2013, 15:44
Thanks for the information guys. I will try out some of the links provided. Will provide an update if I am successful in procuring one!! :ok:

NutLoose
14th Nov 2013, 16:54
These are ex military stuff

Jet Engines | Jet Engine Trader (http://www.jetenginetrader.co.uk/services/category/jet-engines)

EVERETT AERO - Engines (http://www.everettaero.com/engines.html)

But are in the UK.

TinyTim2
23rd Nov 2013, 08:01
Try approaching Malaysia Airline's , they have some B747 waiting scrapping , as well as lots of B737 waiting the same fate .....

Jon Starr
26th Nov 2013, 10:28
Unfortunately there aren't any more where Justin's came from, I will say though that running it is one of the most exhilarating things I've ever done. One of the neighbors did, in fact, mind though...;)

It might be worth talking to a company that scraps L1011's:

AGS Co. Ltd
Jeff Zika
27th Floor, Fortune Tower
Ratchadapisek Road, Din Deang
10400 - Bangkok
Thailand

Also, this is only my own view but I would personally not have any dealings with one particular company previously mentioned in this thread. Please PM me if you need more information on that matter.

The best of luck with your search, the RB211 is a stunning engine!

barit1
5th Dec 2013, 01:02
If you are primarily interested in r/r external accessories, you might be able to get a "carcass" with few or no pricey internals such as turbine vanes, rotors, etc. but with a fairly complete gearbox, pumps, controls etc.